New Users post here first

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: New Users post here first

Postby gitch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to this place. I've only very recently been introduced to the notion of scanners/multis/renaissance types, but immediately I knew I was one.

I've spent my life pursuing something, getting much better than average at it, then moving on. For most of my life, I've been searching for 'that one thing' (...etc etc... you all know the story, I'm sure). It's interesting that so much of Barbara's message is about dealing with the negative aspects of this, as personally, since I knew that learning and developing new knowledge and skills was a strength of mine, I've only ever seen it as a strength. In fact, if anything, I felt something of a let-down once I learned that being a scanner was actually a common phenomenon, since I was wondering whether I might be a 'one of a kind' and could therefore, offer huge insights to the world.

For the last year or so, I've been trying to figure out a way to combine all my traits in a way that I can create some kind of online presence. I love writing, learning new things, figuring out how things work, and perhaps most of all, I love solving problems with no obvious answer. I like to call it 'detective-style learning' because it's the same mode of learning that detectives use when solving crimes. You have to piece through clues and work out how something behaves.

That's really how I learn. I'm yet to find a subject I can't learn, provided I have the desire to do so. That is the secret. If I'm not fundamentally interested, it won't get my focus, and without the focus, I don't learn it. But with the focus... anything is possible.

What I'd like to do is help others realise that, just because you haven't had training or experience in a particular field, doesn't mean you can't quickly upskill so you can integrate it into your life. If there's information out there on what you're curious about, then great. But if not, then even better. You can figure so much out just by paying really close attention to things, noticing details, and reflecting on why.

So that's why I'm here. I can't wait to meet you all.
gitch
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi Gitch,

I just stopped by for a quick look and don't have time to read your post. I'll stop by later and read and respond.

Welcome!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 am

Gitch, I love your message.

I complain - oh do I complain - that computers don't like me, and that the computer industry keeps changing the rules so that just when I feel like I understand how to use them, there's more to learn. When I was twenty, this sort of thing was no problem. I remember worrying that I was going to know everything and then there would be nothing new to learn. (I quickly found out - there's no danger of that happening.)

Anyway, thanks.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi, new readers. Welcome.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi, new readers. Welcome. Is there something we old-timers can do to help you get started on the Boards?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby afsr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi, everyone. Great forum, tons of terrific material
afsr
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 am

Hi, afsr, welcome to the Boards.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Welcome, afsr. Always good to have new folks here. Let's us know what you need help with and we'll do our best to help you chase your dreams.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi, New People

Please know that you're all welcome. After you've posted something here - "hi" works - feel free to post wherever you want. A note - when you pick a thread check the date of the last post. If it's from a month ago, you might not get an answer to your post. Also, at the top of the index page, you can click on "active threads" where there's discussion going on.

The directions say to help someone else before you ask for help. If you don't have any ideas, a word of encouragement is helpful.

I hope you find some good internet friends here and some discussion that's meaningful to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion