What Books Changed Your Life?

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

What Books Changed Your Life?

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I hear from so many of you that one or another of my books has changed your life. Now I want to hear about all those other books that have done the same thing for you. What have you read that transformed your thinking and your life?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: What Books Changed Your Life?

Postby pattyn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm

One that changed my life (besides all of your books, Barbara) was When I Say No I Feel Guilty by Manuel Smith. When it first came out in 1975, I would say OK to everything others decided for me or asked me to do until I reached my breaking point and starting crying or barking orders. I never knew which of those would come out, and both would distress me even more. Learning how and when to say no was life-changing.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

"Wishcsraft is the obvious answer, but you're asking about other books. I read mostly fiction. Any books where the hero/heroine overcomes great obstacles are inspiring. I loved "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind."
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Looks like an inspiring book, Elaine!
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DreyaB » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:35 am

Well apart from Refuse to Choose which finally allowed me to begin understanding myself properly two and a half years ago, before that, in my late twenties, Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance; A Daybook of Comfort & Joy really help me rediscover myself after the end of a relationship where I had given my all and allowed my personality to be lost and consumed by the relationship. That was a real life-changer, as I'm not sure how I would have got out of that place if it weren't for that book. It became my go-to guide for a few years, much as Refuse to Choose is now!
DreyaB
New User
New User

Postby Tituba » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:26 pm

"The One Thing" by Gary Keller

and

"The Artists Way" by Julie Cameron
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:26 pm

"The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome" I don't think I mentioned this before, but my daughter was diagnosed with Autism when she was three-and-a-half years old (and I was 37). I went through a crash course on autism and immersed myself in an online support group. As there are some aspects of autism that tend to be passed down from parents, I rediscovered myself. Very eye opening!

"How to Meditate," by Lawrence LeShan, got me started on a long and productive daily meditation practice while I was in my early 20s.

"Creative Visualization," by Shakti Gawain, almost jumped out at me from the self-help section of the bookstore (also in my 20s). I think this book is similar to Wishcraft, but I came across it before Wishcraft, so it made a bigger impact on me. (Sorry, Barbara!)

Much earlier (perhaps when I was eight or nine years old), the "Tom Swift Jr. Adventure Series" sparked my curiosity and steered me to a technical profession even before I knew algebra. I was building models of airplanes and spaceships from cardboard (cereal boxes and papertowel tubes) and then creating 3-D drawings of them as a drafts-person might.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm

So Barbara, what books would you list? Or should I know that already? :oops:
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby maschavdw » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:20 pm

The book that changed my life is Getting Things Done by David Allen.
It's a book that describes a method to create a complete inventory of the agreements (tasks, appointments) you made with yourself and with others about things you want or have to do.
The great thing is that it starts with everything that's on your mind right now. You don't need to think of any goals or life purpose, like with other time management methods. That follows later in a very natural way.

I found the book when I was looking up information about time management. My inbox and my brain were both constantly overflowing and I was really looking for some strategies that would give me some sense of control again.
Once I read the cover-text of this book, I knew immediately that this was exactly what I was looking for. But I never thought that it's impact would be this big.

The method was life changing for me because the feeling of control that I got from it, was so much deeper than I could have ever imagined. I learned that for anything I wanted to accomplish, I just had to define the desired outcome and then find the 'next action' (the first physical, visible action you can do towards your desired outcome). That made me feel really powerful.

There's much more to the whole method than I can explain right here.
I'm still learning about it, as it has many many layers. Every time I re-read the book I still learn something new or I suddenly see something I already knew from a different perspective.
maschavdw
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:12 pm

SquarePeg wrote:So Barbara, what books would you list? Or should I know that already? :oops:

LOL. No, you couldn't know, SquarePeg, because I've had such a hard time remembering so I've never mentioned it, but a friend recommended a book to me many years ago about people with different personality problems and it opened a new world to me - about the fact that you can think about things that way (though I had been doing breakthrough work in that arena for a few years by that time) and that you can write a book about such things. Occasionally I can remember the name of that book, but most of the time I just can't!

And there was another book I love (left my copy in Germany) about the greatest gift or some such thing, Cornelius Hirschberg?, a wonderful man who studied a different field every day on his way to work on the subway until he had covered most subjects! From Math to Fiction. That's the book that make me feel I wasn't crazy for being interested in everything! Loved it. Still do.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 am

Bill Gates (yes, that one), blocks out two hours a day on his calendar for what he calls "intentional learning". He reads 50 books a year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... eK0b6qeJJM
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to General Discussion