no female role models or heroines!

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby dani » Fri May 11, 2007 10:44 pm

KyleM, You really brought a sensitive subject to light. I've found myself almost obsessing about Robert Redford because of all of the great things he does. Many of my favorite movies of the past twenty years starred him, or were produced and/or directed by him. Ironically, I was never a big fan when he was a younger superstar. Anyhow, I finally realized how mesmerized I was by him and his work and quickly got unobsessed. Men can have that effect on me because of the attraction involved, which may be true for many women. Sometimes that dynamic can overshadow cultural changes. I also think that the way women and men are written about is different. Far more attention seems to be paid to a man's mental skills. If you look at the overdone "strong woman," that attribute is nearly always connected to some aspect of being a mother. I don't think this is accidental--most readers are women; we tend to devalue ourselves and other women, and marketers know this. Clearly, I admire Helen Keller, per my signature. In a way, though, I admire Ann Sullivan more. She was partially blind herself and being Keller's nanny was probably her best option at the time. There is a local woman I read about and admired for years named Dorothy Molitor She lived in the wilderness most of her life and, as the URL mentions, she made and sold root beer to thousands of visitors. I first got the impression that she was sort of a hermit, so her lifestyle appealed to me. In the years since her death, I've learned that she had lots of family involved and owned a resort. Still, she's commendable for being so original and living life on her own terms. Actually, she's even more to be admired for being an early entrepreneur--the local press really distorted her image to being some kind of lovable maiden aunt who made root beer. See?!?
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby winter » Sat May 12, 2007 4:53 pm

No, I don't have any female/male heroine/hero. For the simple reason that I did greatly admire someone, until I got to know her. I still admire her for what she does but now I know that nobody is perfect. It was disappointing to acknowledge the fact that someone can achieve such greatness while not being perfect...
winter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SarahC » Tue May 15, 2007 10:53 am

dani wrote:Men can have that effect on me because of the attraction involved, which may be true for many women. Sometimes that dynamic can overshadow cultural changes.
True, perhaps. There's been that element with some of my male role models over the years. (Having said that, I think guys do it too...surely when a man calls a woman his muse, it's a similar phenomenon?) I once read something...I forget where, it was many moons ago - where a psychologist suggested that any attraction to a member of the opposite sex - especially to someone you would be unable or unlikely to have an actual relationship with - is actually an educational experience. What you 'fall for' in them is a reflection of qualities in yourself that you need to be uncovering and developing. I think that's actually makes quite a lot of sense. So maybe you just needed to bring out your inner Redford! :wink:
SarahC
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dani » Tue May 15, 2007 8:58 pm

SarahC:
I once read something...I forget where, it was many moons ago - where a psychologist suggested that any attraction to a member of the opposite sex - especially to someone you would be unable or unlikely to have an actual relationship with - is actually an educational experience. What you 'fall for' in them is a reflection of qualities in yourself that you need to be uncovering and developing. I think that's actually makes quite a lot of sense. So maybe you just needed to bring out your inner Redford! Wink
Love that last line! :lol:
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AnneSophie » Sat May 19, 2007 7:35 pm

There are plenty of women role models Susan B Anthony, the suffragettes, the WASP (American women test and transport pilots during WWII), they did not get full air force recognition and so could not go to college via the GI bill or get a pension for their services. Suzanne Valladon a painter. Lisa Ling is great. Christiane Armanphour is wonderfull. There are many women environmental, anti child labor and anti child slavery advocates all over the world. But... we live in a planet made for all but a world made for men where greed and appearance are all that matter not soul.
AnneSophie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: no female role models or heroines!

Postby skannie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm bumping up this old thread because I discovered this wonderful collection of biographies of notable women. It's full of inspiring female role models and heroines.

http://www.amightygirl.com/books/histor ... /biography

The books are mainly written for children or teenagers, but if you click on each one you'll get a quick summary of what each woman did. Then you can use Wikipedia and Google to find out more about them if you want to. There are some fascinating women here who I never heard of before, and it's great to be reminded of the ones I already knew about.

In fact this whole "A Mighty Girl" website is worth exploring because it has lots of stuff to help and inspire any girls in your life.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion