Maverick Philanthropists - How to be one.

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby dream girl » Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:35 am

Hi Barbara; I have an idea for you. I think it would be fitting for you to sell some items at your lectures. Have some special pencils made up with a quote on them like "thoughts are things"; "share the magic" etc. You could also raffle off one of the killim carpets or a trip to Turkey. You could also put together some stationary for making daily to-do lists. Just make the money, it might be easier. Hope this is useful - dream girl <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraSher: <B>Why this topic? Because I have had some surprising experiences, both good and bad, over the last few months as I pursued my dream of creating a model to teach e-commerce to village women, starting with Turkey. (To see my progress you can look at the webpage under construction at www.kilimwomen.com) My foray into the world of funding has been most enlightening. Sometimes the behavior of the people who professed to support the project was so abominable I felt like I had food poisoning. Sometimes it was so wonderful I was proud to be a human. I think that many of us are creative and have exciting ideas of how to make a small but wonderful difference in the world, but that we're unprepared for the arena we enter when we begin. So I'd like to offer my experiences, and to share what I've found about other "micro-philanthropists" in the hopes that if we support each other we can figure out how to slip over the top, slide under the radar, or sneak into the party and get the insider info we need to make the world better. Call it another kind of Success Team, and we'll help each other succeed. (For any private messages, go to "Ask Barbara" and your message will go directly to my e-mail) [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited March 21, 2000).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
dream girl
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:52 pm

I heartily agree! I would also like to see a collection box for school funding for the girls. And a Suggestion Box for brainstormers. And how about stationery with kilim symbols and their meanings? - MDG
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SaraB » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:53 pm

Here's an org that does work on the "Hi-tech garbage problem" http://www.cristina.org Haven't worked w/them myself, but it sounds pretty good.
SaraB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MyTravelBug » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:23 am

My family always had a saying on the fridge: "The person who says something can't be done should never get in the way of the person who is actually doing it." Most of my life has been a matter of disregarding the people who underestimate me. I have no time for excuses and can'ts. Onward and upward! -Amanda www.MyTravelBug.org
MyTravelBug
New Poster
New Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:55 am

Bumping - because it is great reading!
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby howcross » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:39 am

Some Web site notes: I went to the Kilim web site and tried to read the blog: link not found. I also tried the email link: it goes to a new web page, not to email. I've signed up for the mailimg list. I wanted to tell Barbara about Heifer International (although she probably already knows about it). http://www.heifer.org/ This is the organization that appeared on the tv show West Wing when Pres. Bartlett wanted to be photographed with a cow. http://www.westwingepguide.com/S3/Episodes/53_TWOQ.html We were thrilled to see them become so mainstream. They are doing just the kind of work Barbara wants to do globally, and they have a wonderful fundraising method. For example, every year my grandmother gives me half a lama for Christmas! I really wanted to post some of their descriptive text from their Web site here, but I am on a slow dial-up connection today and they are too graphics-intensive. But please, Barbara, if you haven't already looked in the Heifer, go look. Ann
howcross
New Poster
New Poster

Postby althea » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:29 pm

I've never frequented a forum that resurrects old threads on such a regular basis. I was onto page 2 before I realized this started 4 years ago! I must start paying more attention to the dates. In my secret dream I want to be a philanthropist. Since I'm not independently wealthy, it seems like something beyond my reach. I've felt stuck, thinking I can't do what I really want to do until after a big ol wad of money drops into my lap. After reading some of barbara's escapades, I'm wondering if I'd even *like* doing what I've dreamed of all this time. My archaeological dig to find my disabled desire continues....
althea
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LittleTigger » Fri May 21, 2004 3:03 pm

Barbara, thanks for the tip to search for this thread. And, thanks very much for upgrading the board. The search feature works MUCH BETTER. Thought if I had an interest in being a philanthropist with someone else's money that others might also find it interesting, so I'm bumping this up for new input. Maybe this bump will help generate more interest in your current endeavor in Turkey. Wish you success, and a peaceful, joyous and rewarding stay, and safe travel.
LittleTigger
LittleTigger
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion