Silly Self-Reward System

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Jezicka » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:57 pm

Wow, WaitingForPCH-- thanks! You've made my day! Image I've been doing this fairly consistently over the last six months or so-- and now have some new modifications since I've started using the system in "Order From Chaos" (a great book on getting organized for not naturally organized, easily distracted types like me-- I've posted it on the 'interesting finds' thread). My newest twist is color-coding my To-Do list for each day with highlighters for different types of activities. Makes it easy to sort out job-related and various goal-related activities. Then if it's goal-related instead of a check-mark I give myself an appropriate-colored star! This only thing is... I had been 'disposing' of everything on my list and then drawing a big line through the whole day, the way the book recommends-- and I loved it! It just gives me such a feeling of accomplishment and completion to do that (especially when all I've really done is reschedule most of it Image ) -- but now my pages are so pretty that I don't want to draw a line through them any more! I'm looking for another sticky-- like a bugle or something to represent 'day is done' -- that I can use instead. Thank you all again for your wonderful ideas! I'm going to print this thread out and re-read it now that you've reminded me of it, WaitingForPCH!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Painter563 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:24 pm

I love this idea Jezicka Coincidentally I just bought my weekly 2004 calender today. It's nice and big 8 x 11" and when you open it your week appears across two pages. Now I gotta go back to buy a bunch of cool stickers. I think, probably because I'm a guy, I buy little construction trucks, or super heroes Image Maybe I'll give myself an "incredible Hulk" for reading the Bulletin Boards today. Image
Painter563
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby hillsmith » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:04 pm

I love this whole thread and somehow this idea seems like a product in the making to me. Something along the lines of a sticker kit for grown ups? Packaging together the stickers with the calendar, maybe a blank cover to be decorated? Include gel pens or some crayons? Am I crazy? How would I create this, get the books, stickers, etc wholesale? Nancy
hillsmith
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Vict » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:50 pm

I remember this thread! How fun! Jez~ How about a glitter pen to draw a line through your days? It will add more fun instead of obliterating it! (The ones I have anyway - it's just glitter in a clear medium.)
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:06 am

This is incredibly cool! Even in my flu and angst-ridden state, I can enjoy this whole idea! Nancy, there are business to business directories of companies on disk and on line for all the supplies and packaging you would need- if you have a tax ID # and resale sales tax cert for your business, you can buy wholesale from any of them. I just think it's an amazing idea! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:33 am

I saw this thread had been bumped to the top, and I wanted to report that I\'m still enjoying and rewarding myself in my goal book! I still have all of the pages since I started it in May. I don\'t scratch through anything; I just use the stickers and write notes about what I\'ve done. I love looking back on all my pretty pages and feeling such a sense of accomplishment. I have no entries the horrible week in October that my Daddy passed on. I have big, dark cloud stickers (like I would really need a reminder) and a few notes. I can see that, although I have been productive since that week, my overall activity has been down. I started keeping an on-going to-do list in this book. Every week, I move the to-do list pages to the middle of the 2-page spread for the week. As I think of things to do -- whether personal or business -- I write down the date and the item. I put a check mark by each thing and note the date when I actually do the thing. Sometimes months pass between the time I have the idea and the time I get it done, but at least I get it done! Image I am now using the book to house my idea lists that don\'t fit anywhere else. Some people might keep such lists in a day planner. I don\'t have one and really don\'t need to keep another book! Since I started my goal/reward book, I have begun a new hobby of artistic archival (aka, scrapbooks). I keep a list of all of my theme ideas for scrapbooks in the back of this book, as well as page lay-out ideas when I have them. I also started keeping a list of ways that I could meet Barry Manilow after people gave me so many fantastic ideas in my thread Know anyone at A&E TV, particularly in production? in the Wishes and Obstacles forum. Last weekend, my foot and rainbow wooden blocks came off the cover of my book. (They fell in my backpack and were glued back on.) To me, this was very symbolic to indicate that: A) I have fallen off my exercise plan (true) B) look for messages from the Universe because they are there Jezicka -- I have to thank you again for starting this topic! I am motivated by my book; I want to be able to show I accomplished something every day! You had mentioned a Xyron machine in a previous response to me. At the time, I didn\'t know what that was. Now I do. It\'s a machine that can laminate or add adhesive to something, depending on the cartridge you load. The machines come in different sizes and price ranges. From what I\'ve seen in the scrapbook world about them, you want to do a whole page at once so that you don\'t waste the adhesive. ThebaRose -- You and your friend may enjoy starting a Circle Journal book. It\'s a journal shared by 2 people and sent through the mail. The kits cost $20 and come with different stickers. They also have a lot of different covers for the books. You can see them at the company\'s web site. I, of course, receive no compensation for the referral. I just love the idea but haven\'t started one with somebody. Hillsmith -- If you couldn\'t guess this from my already long-winded post, I love your idea of marketing this kind of product! The few people who have seen my book have loved it and started a similar system, so I think this idea definitely has potential as a good income stream. You might want to check out the Circle Journey books and web site for ideas. If you could offer different themed stickers and a matching book, I think people would love the chance to reward themselves with something that appealed to them. Maybe you should post a topic on the Idea Party board. Do let us know if you proceed with this idea so we can spread the word! GiniDee -- I\'m sorry you have the flu! I\'m so impressed that even when you\'re not feeling well, you continue to give encouragement and sound advice to everyone here. I think your idea of buying stuff on-line is a great one to get the ball rolling for Nancy. I really should stop writing -- I just had to say again how much I love my sticker book! ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:40 am

Thanks, everyone! Terrific idea, Painter! I've seen trains and planes-- superheroes would be a great touch! hillsmith-- Image thanks! My brother-in-law said the same thing-- that I develop get a calendar and sticker set and sell it at the workshop I've been planning (tentatively titled "Coming Unstuck: How to get out of your rut and into your goove"). Please don't beat me to the punch Image -- but maybe we could work together on it? I have the contact info. for a couple of graphic artists-- but I'm short on follow-through-- maybe we could be 'business buddies' and either work out a partnership or complementary niches. Oh, Vict! You always come up with the coolest ideas! Thank you! That's a terrific idea! I'll have a look at Staples when we go shopping this afternoon! GiniDee, you should be listed as a national treasure-- flu and all! And I will get that keyboard and give your sister's system a try.. (willwillWILL...see what I mean about the follow-through problem, hill?) In the meantime the wonderful purple folder is sitting in the 'prosperity' corner of our bedroom and undoubtedly influenced WaitingForPCH to unearth and bump this ancient thread to the top! Image
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:58 am

AVATC! Our replies crossed in the ether! Good to see you back here, and thank you for your wonderful, creative ideas! I'm so sorry about your father-- of course you don't need 'reminders' for why you are not able to be as productive when you are in deep mourning-- but I think the more serious the cause the more important it is to have ways to symbolize what we are going through. I've thought for a long time that our culture's insistance on the appearance of cheerfulness and the requirement of the 'fine, thank you' response to what in most places is a real, serious inquiry is bad for our emotional health. Keep those clouds hanging for just as long as you need them! And give yourself an extra, special sticker for anything you get done while they're still overhead!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jezicka: AVATC! Our replies crossed in the ether! Good to see you back here, and thank you for your wonderful, creative ideas! I\'m so sorry about your father-- of course you don\'t need \'reminders\' for why you are not able to be as productive when you are in deep mourning-- but I think the more serious the cause the more important it is to have ways to symbolize what we are going through. I\'ve thought for a long time that our culture\'s insistance on the appearance of cheerfulness and the requirement of the \'fine, thank you\' response to what in most places is a real, serious inquiry is bad for our emotional health. Keep those clouds hanging for just as long as you need them! And give yourself an extra, special sticker for anything you get done while they\'re still overhead!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Jezicka, thank you so much for your reply and your nice words about my dad. You are sooo right about the \"fine, thank you\" response being bad for our health. In fact, I have just been zapped with diverticulosis, which is an abnormal inflammation of the colon causing outrageous pain. I believe that this problem may have occurred in part because I don\'t want to let go of or forget Daddy, yet I feel I have to repress my feelings around everyone else. They expect me to say \"fine, thanks\". I don\'t mean to steer your topic on a tangent, though. I haven\'t put the cloud stickers in my book every day that Daddy has been gone even though I definitely feel them in the air. However, the fact that I have done anything is something. I think that you\'re right that I SHOULD give myself a sticker for keeping going! I love your workshop idea, and the sticker reward book would be a fantastic addition to it! Please do keep us posted on your progress, and let us know if we can help! ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby alcor » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:19 am

i found this topic so fun that I had to hop in too !! . I got into the sticker-mania few years ago when I took a creative jurnaling workshop. I bought a time planner calendar - a pge per month though - that came with it's own stickers for different event - birthdays, paychecks, vacation, statutory holidays etc (some don't apply 'cause we have different hollidays up here in the cold canadian cold LOL ) but i already stuck some of them!! I think I'll buy a small notebook where i can stick some more - a nice one for what i did that was nice and pleasant and an "ugglier" one for what wasn't nice ... or I might do it in my new journal/morning pages/venting device that i will hopefully start shortly ... and you know what? I will go out and buy some stickers from the dollar store (we have these places here where supposedly everything cost a buck ...but at least half of the stuff is more expensive than that .... Alcor
alcor
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby AVATC » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WaitingForPCH: <B>AVATC, I shouldn\'t have to remind you that \"it\'s allright\" to follow the advice of a certain great man: \"go on and cry \'til you run dry...\" Image If you need a circle journal buddy just lemme know. You\'re prolly way further on your goals than I am, but at least we can both enjoy the pictures of a certain someone that we\'d put in ours. Image [This message has been edited by WaitingForPCH (edited January 02, 2004).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> WaitingforPCH -- Thank you sooo very much for the nice words and the most appropriate quote! Of course, my tired brain can\'t remember at the moment which song it came from, so I\'ll probably wake up at 3AM with the answer! Image I don\'t want to derail Jezicka\'s great thread to our side conversation, so I\'ll send you e-mail. Jezicka -- To keep my reply on point, I wanted you to know that I took your advice. I DID give myself a WELL DONE! sticker on 12/14 for making it through 2 months without Daddy and still being able to accomplish some things. Somehow, that little sticker made me feel better. I gave myself a WELL DONE! and a VERY CREATIVE sticker for finishing the production on our holiday CD on 12/28. It has 2 photo slideshows synchronized to our voices and music. One of the shows is a tribute to Daddy, which I described on 12/8 in my thread Daddy passed away on 10/8 in the Deep (or Shallow) Discussions forum. It was an incredible amount of work -- especially since we got it done in 3 weeks -- and 60 copies went in the mail on 12/31. Better late than never. It definitely deserved 2 stickers! If my scanner was working at the moment, I\'d scan a picture of my cover and 2-page spread for you and anyone else who wants to see it. I guess that will have to wait for another day. Also, I wanted to let you know that Hobby Lobby is an excellent source for stickers. They have a much greater selection than Michael\'s. Better still, they occasionally put all of their stickers on sale at HALF off! Check out their weekly ads at their web site. So now that it\'s a new year, when will you be doing your workshop? Keep us posted! ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:03 am

Yeah, Jezicka! And thanks for your kind words too! Don't just keep us posted, try a few things out! I for one would buy your journal with stickers kit to use as another happy purposeful supplement to my Morning Pages! Especially since I tend to use my Morning Pages to process my first thing in the morning misery (LOTS of physical pain, and I write them while I wait for the painkillers to kick in Image ) I would LOVE to have a really cool journal type book - preferably spiral bound or cerlox bound to lay flat. One I could decorate to my own taste. And with a whole set of cool stickers representing the good and not so good of life and art type activities. Some ideas that popped up included: Happy drone bees for completing the drudge chores you really gotta do to manage the particles Image clouds for days where you don't feel like doing stuff but do it anyhow (yay Karen!) Rainbows, for all kinds of reasons. Frogs, for when you nicely turn down a 'desperation' frog date Image OR for when you do something that signals your transformation from being a tadpole. Butterflies and dragons are both transformational symbols too! Dragons also represent creativity in Chinese culture, which is why I have them all over my house. Dragons are also guardians of treasure Image of which I have much You might want to check into the language of flowers, and look for flower stickers that communicate those messages There's at least one book about The Language of Flowers which is probably available at alibris.com There used to be a place called mrs goldberg's stickers you could google to see if they have a website. They had the most amazing assortment of stickers for every good and bad occasion I had ever seen at the time, but that was years ago when my kids were into stickers. You might want to google a bunch of different sticker sites, just to see what's out there! It's probably amazing, due to the scrapbooking craze. I would take a workshop like that too! If you want to hold it in my living room, come on down Image , since I don't get out much anymore... Anyhow, just a few more notions to throw in the pot. Hope 2004 is the year when all your good dreams come true, and the nightmares GO AWAY! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:41 pm

Wow! Just noticed all your wonderful replies! Image I just have to tell you about the small success I had with my husband this New Year... I have been trying to find a way that works for him to learn English since we moved to the States from his country over 4 years ago-- nothing seemed to work. Well--just after Christmas a friend at work showed me a demo at rosettastone.com of a language learning system that I thought might be really good for him-- so I got a one-month on-line subscription and set him up on it yesterday. He seemed to like it -- spent several hours on it-- so this morning I said, "What color star do you want for studying English?" He said, "Blue" -- so I put a blue star on one of the free calendars we got -- and then I said, "I'm giving you an extra gold star because you studied for more than 2 hours." After lunch he was on again and was ready to quit after an hour. I said I'd give him a blue star then-- and a gold star for any day where he did two hours-- and he immediately said, "Oh, then I'll do another hour. I want a gold one." It was really funny, because he was completely indifferent when I put the first blue star up! alcor-- That's really interesting-- so you found a calendar with ready-made stickers? I've got it on my list to contact a graphic artist I met at Barbara Sher's workshop here in November-- and I have to see about getting stickers made up. WaitingForPCH Wow! Thanks-- and your calendar sounds great! I think the 'someone did something nice for me' one is a really good idea, actually-- so many people have trouble accepting help, compliments, appreciation from others, while giving so much themselves-- and they're really both equally important things to do. Also it gives you a quick way to recognize and feel grateful for the good stuff that does come your way... I forget where it was, but somewhere recently I was reading -- Oh, I think it was in my 'Order from Chaos' book on organizing-- the author was talking about keeping a sort of 'warm vibes' file filled with letters of appreciation from clients and other things that perked her up and made her feel good about herself. Then whenever she had a bad day she just pulled it out and looked at it. AVATC --I'm so glad you gave yourself some of the support and understanding you're so good at giving others! And your holiday CD sounds terrific! I'm sure it was deeply appreciated. By all means, once you get your scanner up and running I'd love to see your cover and pages! Thanks so much for the tip-- I'll head right over to the hobby lobby-- never heard of them before, but it sounds great! The workshop... well, first I've committed to getting Orchid's workshop to DC-- I figured I'd get some experience first setting up one for someone else... and that will give me both some experience and time to get mine ready. With the help of someone on my Success Team I'm going to do up a questionnaire, and I'm starting an outline of the book to workshop with my non-fiction writing group. I think I need to get a 'beta-testing' group together who are willing to sit through at least one complete run-through of the workshop and give me feedback. I've been doing little bits and pieces of it in speeches from my Toastmasters Club, but those speeches are only supposed to be 5-7 minutes-- not enough time to really work on the ideas. GiniDee-- What wonderful ideas you DO have! I had been thinking about dragons in another connection-- more like 'here there be dragons' -- but I didn't realize they were symbols of transformation! What a great idea! And maybe some 'feng shui' style stickers too, with symbols used there? I'd love to have some kind of nice prosperity symbol-- hate the idea of just using dollar signs or money symbols-- it seems like such a shallow image of wealth to hold! Thank you all so much for your ideas and tips! I'll check out all the great sites you mentioned and will see what I can come up with. [This message has been edited by Jezicka (edited January 03, 2004).]
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:14 am

Hey Jezicka - You're doing so much already, I almost hesitate to throw anything else in the mix Image But there are two excellent reference books you might be able to find on alibris.com for help with the sticker symbols The Women's Dictionary of Symbols The Dictionary of Graphic Symbols The second title may be off. Both have pictures of all the symbols, plus cultural or religious references from around the world and throughout history. They're very cool resources! Dragons are for transformation, creativity, and guardianship- take your pick! You can use gemstones, jewelry or piles of gold pieces to represent financial abundance, and cornucopias of anything you like to represent general abundance! I wish you were closer - I'd even leave the house to beta test your workshop. And good karma to you for helping orchid with hers - that should be fun as well as educational! I tried to reply to your kind message on the idea parties board, but last I saw it didn't go through. So THANKS for your message - I suspect you'll be playing with two hands before you know it - and having fun doing it! All the best - GiniDee Image [This message has been edited by GiniDee (edited January 04, 2004).]
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jXL » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 pm

Wow! Publicly, I think it's silly, but privately, I love it! =oP I've always hated writing down my spendings each day, but I began to make it more fun by using violet colored pens and baby pink pens, as well as shiny glittery stickers! It sure makes my day less drab! Thanks for sharing!!!
jXL
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion