Silly Self-Reward System

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Alexia » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:14 pm

Jez, I had this idea ages ago, to create a little reward system for myself, but somehow it got lost, and I'm now indebted to your thread for making me resurrect it. I'm currently in Athens, Greece, where there doesn't seem to be a great variety of stickers, but I already had a pack of silver iridescent stars and I've now added gold stars and little raised shapes, i.e. hearts, hexagons, circles, diamonds, etc. in glowing colours outlined in gold, like tiny gems. These I use for more important steps or achievements, and for baby steps I'm using coloured ink pens to draw little symbols. The first few pages of my new Lonely Planet Diary are already looking impressive and pretty ! I'll be going to Cyprus in two weeks' time, so I'll look there for different stickers to extend my range. Thanks loads, Jez, for starting this - I can't wait now to get myself to Gold Star status ! Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:45 pm

Thanks, everyone! Great feedback-- as usual here, of course! GiniDee -- Thanks much for the symbols ideas... I'm thinking more and more that for most of us symbols are crucial-- we get conditioned to respond to them at such an early age and they operate on such a subconscious level. jXL-- Yeah, it is silly, isn't it? Image I think that's one reason I like it so much-- permission to play! Alexia!-- So glad to see you here! I've been following your perigrinations with great interest-- I'd love to take to the road again myself... But I guess I'll have to be satisfied for now planning short trips. Is there any way you could scan images of some of the stickers available? I'm starting to look into different stickers I might get to make up a 'calendar package' to go with my seminar.
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:53 am

Yeah, Jezicka - A calendar package with stickers would be great for back of the room sales! And an extra income stream, which could go on your web site for the seminars and your products ( under construction soon Image ) All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Alexia » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:34 pm

Jez, I don\'t know about scanning stickers, as I have to use netcafes in the different places I hang out in, and they don\'t seem to offer this service. The variety of stickers I\'ve seen so far isn\'t up to much anyway, but now I\'ll be looking more carefully and may find more unusual/exotic ones. If so, would you like me to mail you the odd pack ? Drop me an email if you\'d like to pursue this further. My address is: alexiaka@yahoo.com All best sticky wishes ! Alexia. Website: http://www.geocities.com/alexiaka
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:21 am

Hey Jezicka! Do you want me to look around for you in my (very few) travels out to buy art supplies? I've seen some very strange and wonder-full stickers where I am, and would be happy to send along the best ones! They usually have the manufacturer's website or address on them, so you can contact them for bulk prices etc. Let me know! I don't travel much, but when I do it's fun to have more than one mission! Image All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Going for It » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:20 pm

My inner child really loved this post! I went to our local "dollar" store and spent a total of $5 on: - a monthly calendar 2004 - dot stickers (4 colours) - star stickers (4 colours) - happy face stickers - flower stickers I scattered the happy face stickers and flowers throughout the months, so when I open the book, I already feel inspired. I decided to use the following system: - a gold or silver star for doing my creative work - a blue star for FUN (could be an Artist's Date, watching a movie or anything my inner child finds delight in. This recognizes the need for having fun in my life, which is important since I tend to work too hard!) - a red star for 40 minutes or more of physical fitness - a red dot for 20-40 minutes of fitness - purple and blue dots for meditation (this too takes discipline) Thanks for the post! Thelma
Going for It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:36 am

Wow! Thanks everyone! Alexia-- That would be wonderful! I'll send you an e-mail! GiniDee-- Yes indeed-- but promise me you won't find the perfect stickers for me before I get that d*&# keyboard! I don't want to be trying to produce a first born at my age in order to pay you back what I owe you and Jane already! Image Going For It-- Terrific! I really like your color scheme, too! I like your idea of putting stickers in to act as an inspiration, too-- and happymagics marking the days in advance to turn them into 'happenings' was something else I hadn't thought of. I'm hoping to give my first 'coming unstuck' seminar at the end of May-- I think I need to do some focus groups and interviews to get some more ideas for creative ways to break out of a rut-- but I think the "Stars, Frogs and Butterflies" idea will always be my favorite!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KyleM » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:49 pm

Okay, you guys, I jumped on the bandwagon and went out and bought some star stickers (somebody said previously they didn't make them anymore? If they're the foil kind, Avery still makes them...) And you are right - they inspire and motivate! When I was growing up, taking piano lessons, stars were actually a deterrent for me - I never practiced enough to earn one, and got to see everybody else's increasing star count on a big chart, except for mine. So I didn't think this would work now, but it does! Here's my code system: Green - job search activities (green for $$) Red - fitness (for blood) Silver - voice lesson taken (for angelic!) Blue - work done on my website and/or photography (the big blue screen) Thanks again for a great idea!
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Going for It » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:57 pm

Hi everyone, If anyone is reading this post and STILL hasn't gotten into "stickering," I highly recommend it. Today was a "red star" day for me - over 40 minutes of physical fitness. Amazing how getting a little star can make my day! And no more guilt trips about having fun! Putting a blue star for indulging my inner child tells me it's not only OK, it's ESSENTIAL to my overall well-being! Whenever I open my calendar now, I smile. I even put some stickers on the cover. I am trying to imagine a whole year of glittery rewards! Image
Going for It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:31 am

Hey, Jezicka - You owe us nothing- I appreciate your letting us know about your keyboard problems, because even that means a lot - (like you didn't hate the system) Image Anyhow, no worry about my going out anytime soon, but if it's warmer outside than it is in here with the heat off, I might reconsider Image Though we don't have a Michael's or Joanne's right here, we do have several art supply stores (HUGE ones) with craft sections full of stickers, which I will peruse. If I find any great ones, I will send them down to you snail mail, since Jane has your address. I don't accept firstborns as repayment anyhow, since I have two of my own (a firstborn girl and a firstborn boy Image ), and have found them more than enough for my feeble powers to handle. I like the idea of a coming unstuck seminar - a great idea for anyone with any type of 'problem area' or personal challenge. Keep us posted as you go! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Findthejoyagain » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:13 pm

Such great ideas! I'd love to print a post or two, but not all of them. How can I do that?
Findthejoyagain
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jezicka » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:07 pm

AWESOME!! This thread has gone into double digits! KyleM-- Yes, I finally found those Avery foil stars, too-- but now I've almost decided I like the 'sparkly' ones better! I know what you mean about the 'demotivating' part-- that's one reason I started giving myself the frogs for setbacks and the butterflies-- and now I've added various little 'Wow!' and 'Good job!' stickers-- I just hated looking at those blank days with no stars Image and it really seemed unfair when I'd tried and something interfered to keep me from doing what I'd planned... Going For It-- Thanks for the endorsement! Last year I was putting them in a day planner-- but this year, after starting to put them on a calendar for my husband (practicing English, finally!) I decided I like the look of that better-- and if you're doing several things you get immediate, visual feedback on what's 'missing' from your life (it's usually either the exercise or the 'fun things' for me). GiniDee Whew! That's a relief! And considering my husband's hair-raising escapades as a kid, it's certainly just as well... I'm convinced any first born of his would be riding its bike full tilt at walls before it could crawl! Image (And he's still a Don Quixote, even now! Image ) Findthejoyagain--Welcome! The easiest way to print particular posts is probably to highlight them, go to 'edit' and hit 'copy'. Then do a paste into a word document and print that. Thanks again, everyone, for keeping me inspired and not letting this thread die! Will keep you posted on progress on the workshop... And I'll certainly be back here looking for ideas! [This message has been edited by Jezicka (edited January 16, 2004).]
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:53 am

Yes, Jezicka - Don't let any of it die - not the ideas, the seminars, the stickering kits, the other products, the eventual website, and all the fun you can have! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby StacyL » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:33 am

My sister is into scrapbooking. Because I bought her several scrapbooking things for Christmas I am now on all of the mailing lists. Yesterday I got a catalog and I knew I had to post about it here. It is called Sticker Planet and it has every kind of sticker imaginable!! Jezicka you really need to check it out! Here is their website... www.STICKERPLANET.com (I didn't check it out, just copied the web address from the catalog.) Hope you find some things that you like. Image
StacyL
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:42 am

I checked it out - the site has lots of terrific stickers and other cool stuff! Jezicka, go visit - eventually you can even link to their site! Enjoy! It's a visual treat and easy to navigate. All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion