Silly Self-Reward System

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby LittleTigger » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:56 pm

Jezicka, thanks for the link. There is absolutely nothing "silly" about any of this. I thoroughly enjoyed reading every post, and have already started making notes for formulating my own reward system. I have a lot of the foil stars mentioned several times. I use them on special projects for my adult students......its amazing how something like one student getting a silver or gold star motivates the other adults to do better. There are several big craft stores in the area, and a number of scrapbooking outlet stores that should have tremendous selections of stickers that would be amusing and appropriate. If you are looking for anything specific, email me offsite and I will see if I can help locate items. When you meet obstacles at, seemingly, every turn, its hard to feel worthy of a reward. But, we owe ourselves some recognition for making it through a particularly tough hour, or day, or week, or year, or event. We owe ourselves some credit for doing chores we really don't like to do. I'll be working this evening on my own personal reward system. Thanks for the link, and all the wonderful suggestions. ------------------ LittleTigger
LittleTigger
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:47 am

Hey Jez - I know you're up to your ears with MIL, but how are you progressing on the sticker seminar for engineers? Did you do it yet? Keep us posted - enquiring minds want to know - because we care! Many hugs - Gini Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Colliefeathers » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:47 pm

Hi everyone, This star/sticker thing DOES work for adults. I started doing it for myself years ago. An Artist's date (from "The Artist's Way" book) to my local drug store's school section inspired it. It worked for me when I was a little kid. I LOVED the seasonal turkey stickers and Pumpkins and Santas also. And they DO still make the metallic foil stars - just like your teacher used. I have a whole drawer full of them - plus other stickers. Gold, silver, red, blue and green foil stars. I was paying off a HUGE credit card dept. I put a graph together - one square for each month and planned out all the (years) of months - how much to pay each month till it was all paid off. I put a gold star on each square AFTER I paid that month's amount. It was very tough some months. I was MORE excited to put the star on the graph than the actual payment of the amount. In Dec. of this year - I finished paying off $40,000 of credit card dept (with help of consumer credit Counceling also). And I have a graph of very yellowed paper - representing years of payments that is covered with gold stars. Not sure what to do with it now - but it's still on my bulletin board. And I LOVE to look at it. Otherwise, there would be nothing showing me what I had DONE. HMMMM!!! Just got an idea! I think I will make a NEW monthly graph for stars! This time the graph will be for a monthly payment I put in SAVINGS. I've always had a hard time saving money. [This message has been edited by Colliefeathers (edited April 09, 2004).]
Colliefeathers
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:01 am

Hey Jez - Is the mil gone yet? Have you done the seminar for engineers? How's the overall sticker project going? And did you find a venue for holding Orchid's workshop in your backyard yet? Enquiring minds want to know Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MermaidMom » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:11 am

Colliefeathers, Thank You for that post! I'm also in a huge hole of debt and I love this whole sticker idea as well. I'm going to take some time later today to read this whole thread again. I'm thinking a sticker for every $100 my total debt goes down. I could have like 350 stickers by the time I was done!!!! Image
MermaidMom
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jezicka » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:37 pm

Okay-- time to 'fess up... I haven't been keeping the calendar for the last month... Image Pure embarassment is the reason I haven't responded before... I got side-tracked, as I so often do-- ran out of one star color, was disatisfied with the little calendar I had and have been planning to find or make a big wall calendar for awhile now... Little Tigger-- Thanks so much for your comments. I did eventually find those foil stars, too. About the question of 'worthiness'... a bunch of the stickers are actually more 'postie' than reward-- the 'frogs' are fun, but more than that, they're sort of a 'note to self: couldn't do that today because of this', so I can fortify myself against the self-scolding I'm apt start if all I see is that something was on my list and didn't get done! Most of us need all the amunition we can get against those internal tapes! Image GiniDee-- The answers are 'no', 'no', 'not' and 'no'... Image Am trying to be patient with myself -- one of my friends at work, who's also done the 'conative' test pointed out today that most of my job consists of 'follow through' elements to which I test 'resistant'-- which made me realize how much of that I've also got to do at home... Recipe for burn-out, here! Nevertheless-- must get back on track, here! Colliefeathers-- Love your story! What a great and creative use for stickers! MermaidMom-- Welcome aboard! Yes, I think Colliefeathers' suggestion is terrific, and bound to be helpful. Reminds me of the little 'thermometer' on the 'Sims' game when your 'Sims' learn something new... I had to quit playing the game because I got so addicted to getting them to just one more level! Made me mad to think I could get more excited about 'helping''my people' advance and improve in their purely fictional lives than my own! Image Thanks, everyone, for your inspiration and encouragement! [This message has been edited by Jezicka (edited April 19, 2004).]
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LittleTigger » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Jez, I love this thread, and your ideas are wonderful. I especially love to put green foil stars on my "desk blotter" calendar. Green signifies growth to me, so when I do something positive I give myself a green foil star. I've also added a little tiny yellow star for good deeds. No negative actions get any reward unless its Negative-disguised-as-self-restraint. That deserves a reward. Also found the leftover foil from the stars make wonderful stencils for coloring in stars of whatever color. Thanks again for sharing your idea! ------------------ LittleTigger
LittleTigger
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:03 am

So be good to yourself Jez! It's okay that you got sidetracked - you had a LOT on your plate! If the choice is between being SuperWoman with burnout, or dropping a few things through the cracks and being human... which would YOU choose? I, for one, opt against the cape and tights, thanks Image (be grateful - the world does NOT want to see me in tights Image ) You can always get back to it when YOU are ready. Not a second before! Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:45 pm

So are you ready yet, my favorite sticker lady? Your many fans await you! Image ------------------ http://www.hermitcrab01@hotmail.com
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Fri May 21, 2004 4:11 pm

AVATC wrote:I got a Flavia 2 page-per-week calendar set from Day-Timer; I like her designs and quotes. I didn't like any of the Day-Timer planner books, so I bought a small 3-ring binder that perfectly accommodates the pages. I bought the following stickers: Stars -- for work on voice-over goals Music notes -- for when I practice my harp Feet -- for when I exercise Rainbows -- for synchronicity or signs/messages/gifts from the Universe Clouds -- for when I have setbacks Pink Flamingos -- for when I have FUN (between the day job and the voice-over career, all of these other things on the list tend to get lost....especially fun!) Positive Words -- for when I accomplish big tasks or goals I decided to decorate the cover of my plain notebook. I started with a paper scrapbook frame, and then, would you believe I actually found little painted wood things of STARS, a MUSIC NOTE, a FOOT and a RAINBOW! I got foam, colored letters and spelled out the word GOALS. My inner child is completely delighted with the appearance of my awesome book, and now I'm motivated to be able to give myself stickers for things.
Well, kids, can you believe that it has been A YEAR since Jez gave us this fab idea? I have been faithfully keeping and enjoying my book, and I love to be able to look back and see how much I've accomplished....or not, as in the case of my music and exercise goals! :oops: I had mentioned some time ago that I would post pictures of my book and sample pages. Tomorrow marks the 1-year anniversary of my first entry, so this seemed like a good time to have a show and tell! :D Here's the picture of the book cover. I scanned a couple of pages so you can see a typical week. In addition to the stickers listed above, I have added some additional categories: Peanuts characters -- for time spent with my family Large money -- for payments received for v-o gigs Small money -- for coins found Smiling flowers -- for self-care, like going to the doctor Hands -- for working on scrapbooks As I look back through the past year, I'm pleased to see stars of various sizes on at least 90% of the days. I know that I do something almost every day -- no matter how small -- toward advancing my voice-over career. My goals book proves that point to me. I can also see that I haven't practiced my harp in 2 weeks or exercised in almost 2 months. However, I can see that I was using the time instead to do auditions, edit my audiobook, etc. The stickers really help to keep me from berating myself for the things I haven't done. Jezicka, how are you coming with your ideas of a workshop based on this idea? Here's to year number 2 of using my not-so-silly reward system! 8)
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Sat May 22, 2004 9:41 pm

Karen - I LOVED your book - and the pages are awesome! Jez - isn't that inspiring? I think it's remarkably cool, especially since we can actually SEE it, right here on these boards! So how are you doing, oh great idea lady? Ready to get back to work on these great sticker ideas? 8) Many hugs -
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Rosebud » Mon May 24, 2004 1:12 am

I started using this sytem last week to keep myself motivated. I really enjoy putting stickers on my day planner pages. I showed my day planner at my Achievement Team (Success Team) last night. Everyone went crazy. Three members made a rush to the 99 cent store to buy some stickers. I use "feet" stickers when I do something that moves me towards my goal. I use" hand" stickers when I do something that deserves a "pat on the back". I use the "star" stickers when I do something extra special. I can't believe I never read this thread before last week.
"Opportunities increase as they are taken" --Sun Tzu
Rosebud
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jezicka » Mon May 24, 2004 2:20 pm

WOW! What else can I say? Thank you all so much! AVATC -- the book is just stunning! For some reason I didn't see your post on Friday (or GiniDee's on Sunday), but I had been thinking about stickers all last week, and I made it my top priority for this week during a coaching call I had on Saturday-- (How's that for serendipity?) I'm still gathering 'amunition' to use in making my case that this would be a good brown bag topic at work-- Would you mind if I used your pictures from your book? Thank you so much for running so fast and so far with it! GiniDee and Tigger -- Thanks for keeping this topic alive and checking in on me! Rosebud -- I'm so glad you're finding it useful, too! One of the things I like the best about it is that it reminds me when I'm facing an obstacle -- I tend to forget and then blame myself for not getting things done. And it gives me a gentle prod towards trying to get over or around the obstacle (when I see the same one, day after day-- plus the stars-- or lack thereof for action taken to deal with it)-- because I also tend to 'get comfortable' with a problem, and just leave it sit (like a weight on my chest! :roll: ) without doing anything about it. And then, finally, it gives me a great lift to look back and see how much I've actually overcome, and how determined I've been about it! I've been letting all kinds of things get in the way of keeping my own 'sticker journal' going-- I'd developed a pretty good system, (based on \"Order from Chaos\") for keeping my time organized-- getting things done, not forgetting things... and I kept trying to get everything all in a single notebook. Then I ran out of some of my stickers... :cry: One thing after another... In the last couple of weeks I've had a window on the car bashed in, and both the central air in the house and the airconditioner in the car go out... so I need those little froggie stickers!!! :wink: I've started to record 'stickerable' events the past few days, and I think I can re-create most of the time since March, using my journal-- So thanks once more everyone, and especially AVATC-- for re-inspiring me!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Mon May 24, 2004 3:18 pm

YES, Jez, we need your fearless leadership on this! You can see by the response that your idea is really helping a lot of people. So maybe it's almost time to take it to the next step, and figure out how you can put kits together and get it to a commercial level. Just a notion. 8) I send many hugs and no frogs
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Sat May 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Hey, Jez! You inspired me originally, so I'm totally delighted that I could re-inspire you! 8) I'm very sorry about your recent run of bad luck with the window and the a/c units. If it's any comfort, they say these things come in 3s -- so it looks to me like you've had your share! I've been on vacation for the past week and am just beginning to look at the posts I've missed. My book didn't go with me on vacation this time; it has accompanied me on shorter trips. BUT! I did take the pages for the week and notate things that will earn stickers which I will apply tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Since my book plainly shows that I haven't been exercising lately, I'm most excited to be able to add several Feet stickers for all the miles of walking that I did. :lol: I'm delighted that you would want to use my pictures as an example. Feel free to share the link; I'll leave the pictures on my site. Thanks again for an unique idea that has helped maintain my motivation and keep me focused on my goals for a year! I'm looking forward to seeing you progress to the next step!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion