Long Ridge writers group

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Long Ridge writers group

Postby cshore knitter » Tue May 20, 2008 4:49 pm

I have been reading information on the Long Ridge Writers group's program called "Breaking into Print", a course for beginning writers. Does anyone have any information on it or has anyone actually gone through the course? There was a post on the boards about 4 years ago asking my same question but it had only received one reply and I was wondering if any new board members could be of help to me. I would like to get as much information as possible about it before I plunk down my hard earned cash! Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Long Ridge writers group

Postby MoreMagic » Thu May 22, 2008 8:35 am

You can check them out on the "Background and Bewares" board at Absolutewrite.com. What I've found is not all that positive: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=29637
MoreMagic
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby cshore knitter » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks More Magic for the link. I checked it out and the info will be helpful when I make a decision about this program. I'm more interested in writing things that aren't very "literary" and it seems that this program would be helpful in that regard as opposed to a college level writing class where the focus is more scholarly - which is as it should be!
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby fivetadlocks » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm

I just graduated from Long Ridge Writer's Group and am willing to answer any of your questions. A couple points to clarify the basics. First, my instructor is an accomplished author. Second, if you are at all unsatisifed they give you a full refund. Third, it improved my writing. You take a writing test and, based on your style of writing, they assign you to an accomplished writer. I could go on to receive college credits (I chose not to because you have to enroll in a college and complete their required material. But completing Long Ridge counts towards half the college class). Every month you write an article. The instructors walks you through your weaknesses, your strengths, and teaches you what editors want and how to make contact through query letters. The program not only teaches you how to write, but how to work like a writer and what is involved. They work hand in hand with Writer's Digest (the writer's life line as I call it) and draw your attention to professional writing. Best of all, even after I've graduated, I can still write to my instructor and ask her questions about agents, publishers, or even about discouraging rejection letters. If I had to summarize, Long Ridge lets you in on the secrets to getting published. Where to start and "how to" get published. Also, the tuition covers your books! More than six books that are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a serious writer. Buy a dictionary, a thesaurus, and The Elments of Style (White and Strunk), then sign up for Long Ridge and they'll send you the rest of a writer's library. Bottom line. I don't regret taking the course and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Does this answer your question?
fivetadlocks
New User
New User

Postby cshore knitter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:52 pm

Thank you for such a great response fivetadlocks. I had sort of set the idea of participating in this program aside, but seeing your response and reading about what a positive experience you had makes me want to rethink my decision. I like the idea that they gear your advisor to the type of writing that you want to do and don't just assign someone haphazardly. Right now, I would mainly be interested in writing articles about crafts (fiberarts in particular) and homemaking projects, but being a scanner at heart I'm sure that there would be other topics that would interest me as well. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm a crafter who writes or a writer who crafts!
cshore knitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:59 pm

cshore, You're a scanner! Refuse to choose! Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby tiffany.cross » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:08 pm

I know you can pay for the courses in monthly installments--though they encourage you to pay for it up front to save money--but can anyone tell me how much the monthly payments are?

Hopefully someone still keeps track of this...
tiffany.cross
New User
New User

Postby kashtanka » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:38 am

Tiffany, I took the course some years ago now but I believe it is something like $100 down and $50 a month for 10 months. Good luck if you go ahead with it.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Peglyn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I am currently taking the Longridge Writer's course Breaking Into Print. I know that these posts are older so to bring you up to date: I paid 75.00 down and the monthly payments are 29.40. The course is for 18 months.
The staff is very attentive to any questions you may have and answer them in a timely manner. I am finding the course very helpful. If you are late with an assignment they will call you on it. I absolutely love this course. The instructor doesn't candy coat anything. If you aren't good in an area they give you suggestions and critiques to improve your writing. I would recommend this course to anyone. They also have numerous resources at your fingertips. Including a chatroom.
Peglyn
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome Peglyn, and good luck with the course!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to General Discussion