VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Oh, if you go to Maine you MUST go to Cape Elizabeth (just below South Portland). http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/doc/parks/ ... park_id=28 This is what it looks like http://www.freefoto.com/browse/1214-02-0?ffid=1214-02-0 Also, travel up Rt. 1 to Freeport (where there are alot of outlets). You'll pass a gift shop on the right with a 60ft. wooden indian. A short distance beyond that, on the left is a frozen custard stand. Stop there and have the best ice cream you ever tasted. When you are in Maine, make sure to stop at Amatos and have a "real Italian" sandwich. They are SO good. I go up to Maine once a month (until snow flies) just for the sandwich. http://www.amatos.com/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for the traveling info Tituba! Those pictures are breathtaking, and I'd love to go there. I searched the distance from Albany to Cape Elizabeth: it was 189 miles, and the distance from Albany to Freeport is 202 miles. Perfect distance for a trip. Now I'm excited and can't wait to plan out the details...first I have to ask my husband if he'd like to go. (I know he'll say yes) Thanks again. I can't believe you go every month just for a sandwich! Must be an extraordinary sandwich indeed! A guy I used to work with went to New Hampshire every year, and he talked about the custard too...sounds yummy.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 pm

Wells, Maine is only an hour away for me so it isn't too eccentric to drive up there for lunch. Drive home on Rt. 1 and hit some outlets. I only go up there when the weather is good. Wouldn't think of going to Maine in the winter. They get serious winter! The thing that is so cool about Two Light Park in South Portland is that it is all these large rocks that you can climb out on and watch the ocean. There are always crashing waves there. It is a good place to think, daydream etc. I play this game where I close my eyes and try to listen to the wave before it starts, then I hear it and wait and see if I can open my eyes just before it crashes. It is very calming.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby songpoet » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Wanted to bump this back up. I think in this near; "recession financial atmosphere" Voluntary Simplicity may be a necessary 1st step in this critical time. Listened to the C-SPAN call-in spot yesterday & it's sad how many low-income workin families are having difficulty paying their Utility Bills. For some it's a matter of paying their utilities or buying "FOOD"? :shock: What about the sad state of healthcare? 47 million uninsured people in America & millions more "UNDER-Insured". According to the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine 18,000 people die annually because they can't afford any medical assistance. Prescriptions have become a "PAY or DIE" proposition for many folks. And for the 200 billion in billing fraud and 350 billion in excessive Administrative fees waste, America could have Universal Healthcare. I think someone from here said it best; "It's cheaper to die". :bash: Voluntary Simplicity is a good 1st step in "Preventive Medicine". Planting a garden (even on top of a city building roof), fresh air, sunshine, exercise for mind & body & organic veggies,,,,,,,,,,,,not a bad place to start! :wink:
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:58 am

The amount of uninsured is growing, but the quality of care of the so called insured doesn't even get mentioned. People who use to have free healthcare (or at least low cost healthcare) with their employers now have to pay outragious premiums and have high deductibles. After a family pays an extra $2-3,000 for coverage, they can't afford to pay another $5,000 for the annual deductible. The result, they don't seek treatment until they are about dead or in an accident where they have to go to the ER. We have pretty much seen retirement plans replaced by employee funded 401ks, and the way things are going, it looks like employers are trying to do the same with healthcare. Who is at fault? Mostly technology. Much of the same technology that allows this thread, also allows people in a third world country to do my job for a dollar a day. Globalization won't make everyone richer, just the poorest of the poor, until we are all living like a third world country. I'm just glad I'm not 20 years old, because I can probably throw enough money wrenches into the system until I'm ready to retire. I can pay cash, refuse to talk to customer service people in India, refuse to buy products for Wal Mart that are made in China, etc, so that these American companies can't export all the jobs. But I've only got to work another 5 years or so.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby songpoet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:42 am

And who's fault is that jc? As Ralph nader said; "Corporations have no love for this Country when they outsource jobs to "DICTATORSHIPS". By the same token I find it laughable that an American toy company can "pass the buck" onto China when it should be "THEIR" responsibility to insure that all things they sell are constantly monitored to pass "SAFETY GUIDELINES". The lousy gas-guzzling oft-repaired vehicles made in this Country have got to be a financial drain to people. Yet flag-waving Americans keep supporting them as if it's a solemn duty. If my life is going to go down in financial flames, i'll support any business that plays "FAIR" with me and treats me respectfully. In that regard; "Thank God for the Japanese", and i'll keep buying what they manufacture. The business practices in this Country have hit an all-time low in my book. How does a business stay in Good Standing here, when they send necessary jobs to 3rd-world countrys? :jawdrop: It reminds me of a great line from the Alfred Hitchcock movie; SABOTEUR; "Anyone can WIN when they throw out the RULES!" And yet we're expected to buy the stuff back. Can anyone stand up & say; "DOUBLE STANDARD"! And yet how many people from the lower & middle class continue to support them ,without thinking about the financial implications??? :bash: I've said for years that people have to look at their LIFE, HOME & INCOME as their own personal ; "CORPORATION". :search: And your "devotion" is to yourself and your "solvent life",because The "WOLVES" are scratching at the door these days! Thank God there are significant stories through the years that stand as "ROLE MODELS" as to how to cope with this Corporate mentality. These examples forsaw the inevitable GREED that never goes away and acted accordingly. And I think it's the SMARTEST way for most people to DO what they truly love (in the broader scheme of things). Take care of the "BASICS" folks and the STAR you're reaching for will not exceed your grasp! :wink: http://www.word-works.com/simple.htm
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:26 am

You don't really own your stuff if you can't get into it and fix/modify it ... open source products: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... ft=1&f=100
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 am

As in everything, there's a balance and just having more of an awareness of what you're doing. But, if I were not to buy new running shoes every 6 months or so, then I'd pay for it in medical bills when I got shin splints or some other overuse injury from poor shoes. I can wear running clothes for years, however (and they're always clean :) .
Last edited by Scenario Thinker on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sweetsue » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I think the key here is Barbara's concept of the touchstone, the thing inside that is the real source of fulfillment. People don't know themselves in that way so the consumer economy sucks them in with ersatz fulfillment. We sometimes forget that people make this economy, people with shortcomings, who are only human. The economy is a human creation because it solves a human need - the need to trade with others in order to get your daily bread and shoes and clothing etc. which no one can supply for themselves. We used to be producers in the economy; we were engaged in trade with others, and had all of the benefits of being a trading partner, such as the need to act ethically and fairly so others would trade with you. Monopolistic power lessens this basic fairness at the heart of economics. So does being "consumers;" we are no longer citizens, nor producers, but just "homo shoppus", man who shops. If that is all we can do, of course we invent reasons to do it, artificial needs, and those get woven into the way the system works. There is no way to exist without being part of the economy; so I don't take seriously the kinds of ad hominem comments in this thread that disparage being part of the way money moves on this earth. It is no more than the human soul writ large. We all eat, have somewhere to sleep, most of us have jobs, but no one ever thinks to thank a venture capitalist or a bank lender or an entrepreneur that these miracles of human life, which people have been striving to achieve for millennia, are now considered a commonplace. So voluntary simplicity can be thought of in two ways: first, as a separatist movement against consumerism, or as a personal decision to be aware and make sensible use of one's money. I don't think the latter is possible without knowing one's touchstone, what it is inside that needs to be expressed, for that will and should drive financial decisions. I mistrust this impulse to operate as a separatist movement because it places blame in some "system out there" when that system is a wholly human creation that reflects the chaos "in here," and because it can become a form of blaming others while asserting superiority, while not being as open as I think one needs to be about how one thinks about money. I also think that this thread is too harsh on the global economy. People starve when they are limited to trading with people near them. Many countries are climbing out of poverty through their capacity to engage in trade. This is a complex and evolving phenomenon. I learned recently that 15 African countries now have stock markets, meaning they can create and finance their own companies and create their own wealth. This is a phenomenal accomplishment!
Sweetsue
New Poster
New Poster

Postby songpoet » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Sweetsue or should I say "disgruntled Republican" whose strategy is to cast a shadow over anyone who can "think for themselves" and label something intended to be helpful & provide an alternative approach to folks struggling to achieve their dreams a; "subversive seperatist movement" . (FAR OUT!) :lol: You said "There is no way to exist without being part of the economy" and yet their are scattered isolated tribes & cultures in different countries , who've never seen a cell-phone, TV or automobile That carve out a good life & live consistently beyond 100 years of age. Duane Elgin came up with the concept of Voluntary Simplicity long before I posted it here. Also Joe Dominguez who wrote the Book,,,,,,"Your Money Or Your Life". He was a former WALL STREET Broker who's health & nerves were goin south until he one day asked himself; "Why am I workin my LIFE away to "PAY BILLS" & make other people "RICH"??? And he used his expertise to find the "only" investment opportunity around that was completely "safe & liquid", and through frugality & ingenuity lived on $500 a month & never "had to work again" (FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY ,I'M FREE AT LAST!). He "volunteered his time for worthwhile causes so "boredom" never was a problem. Quite the opposite,,,,,he went to bed every night with a smile & a passion for helping the less fortunate! And that is the BEST example i've ever seen of what Barb Sher teaches here. My PASSION about an economy that's more MONOPOLY than Free enterprise has been proven true by the current administration and the abominable state of the economy, (i'm too harsh on the global economy,,,,,YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDIN ?) Yes,,,,,,,,we're helpin other countries climb out of poverty all right,,,,,,,how do underage kids do that workin in sweatshops??? Or a woodlogging industry in South America that's destroying absolutely "VITAL" Rainforests. And the American people (average joes), have gone above & beyond the call of duty in supporting the economy. It's the "VENTURE CAPITALIST, BANK LENDERS & ENTREPRENEURS who are the financial "drains" on this economy. check out; http://www.corporations.org/welfare There are several books that folks have written decades ago predicting the financial FIX we're in RIGHT NOW (in case you don't have a TV, radio, Book or newspaper.) And those who paid attention years ago are at least surviving today & can still afford to pursue a DREAM that's also "Organic" in it's approach which opens up a whole world of NEW & Exciting Ideas!
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby songpoet » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:11 am

I was wondering if this topic helped anyone prepare for where the economy is now? Years ago I paid attention to the "TRUE" experts ,who gave REAL statistics behind the scene & forecasted the financial doom that we are facing. To those who "took stock" in the basic thrust of this thread, you realize you might not have your DREAM life,,,,,,,,,,,but you're thankful you have "any LIFE at all"! You can DO what you looooooooooooooove anytime ,,,,,,,,,it's FREE!!! Earning a Paycheck doesn't have to be at something you dislike. Making A Living isn't just "INCOME", it's INGENUITY! Being CREATIVE & IMAGINATIVE might not earn an income, but it may lend a HAPPINESS that you can't put a $$$-price on!
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby songpoet » Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 am

Another "BUMP-UP" for a thread that's dear to my heart and makes more sense NOW than ever before. I'd LOVE to hear some original thoughts on what you folks are doing to meet the current economic challenges. Anybody have any CHEAP recipes they can pass along? How many of you gals do double coupons at stores? Anyone planting Gardens? Anyone created a "service" that's become another income stream?
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Fri May 01, 2009 1:52 pm

I got voted down by my zoning board for my workshops, but am being a "creative consultant" to a few individuals--individualized lessons involving watercolor, acrylic, and collage and drawing. AND I have a mom and her daughter joining me in May. The income stream is small, but it may grow. I've always taken on a couple of high school students to tutor in algebra or geometry. I HATE MATH, which is why I can help. It was my aptitude, but I just never liked it. I seem to be able to help kids with it, all the while supporting them if they do not enjoy it--I've been able to show them that, while we do not like it, here's how we wind up using some of it. But that puts some money in my pocket. I do some of the old-fashioned things. I never grocery shop unless I have just eaten. I buy less. I didn't believe that, but it works for me, oddly enough. I live alone and have a disability, but these few things are helping.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri May 01, 2009 2:49 pm

songpoet wrote: ... makes more sense NOW than ever before.
One good thing about living frugally all the time, the down times aren't as noticeable!
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion