Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about reading?

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about reading?

Postby aurorasky » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I read a book one time which recommended an older book that was purely about the joy of reading, and included a long list of the classics to read. I am sure it was a self-help/ lifestyle design book that was written by a woman, and it might have been one of Barbara's, does this story ring any bells with the voracious readers out there?

There's a lot of books I own but have never read from cover to cover, only skimmed, and I'd like to spend less time online and more time reading paper, as I retain the ideas better and find a lot of articles on the net are not really detailed enough to be helpful. I would also like to start reading fiction for pleasure, as most of my books are self-help/ memoir and I am sure there's lot of enjoyment to be found in fiction too. So I have just joined my local Meetup book group, though it will be a while before I get to an event. I am also very keen to read the story of a man who was a voracious reader as I think this will inspire me.

The book and the story behind it was mentioned in a book a few years ago, I thought it might have been one of Barbara's books but when I check the ones I currently have I don't see it. Basically the story was that a man lived in New York in maybe the 40's and 50's, had a humdrum job in the garment district I think, and his big source of pleasure in life was the reading he did, primarily while commuting. By learning "the good stuff" he became a very educated person albeit without the degree and while his life remained unsung and unglamorous it sounded like he had a rich inner life. He wrote the book to share his love of reading and the places he had been transported to in his imagination. The book ends with a long recommended reading list starting from the classics. For some reason I had thought the title was a variation on "the royal road of reading" but putting that into Amazon brings up a much older and totally unrelated title ... or of course it could all be a crazy dream I had and the book never was mentioned in a Barbara Sher reading list, in which case the plot would thicken considerably! The reason this has come up now is that years ago I looked for the book on Amazon, didn't see it and gave up. Now I know there are online booksellers where one can search for out of print books and maybe I will get a result that way. I'd be very keen to read this book even if it was pricey being a vintage book. Thanks all whether you have heard of this book or not and great to be a new member of this supportive community.
aurorasky
New User
New User

Re: Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about readin

Postby aurorasky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 am

I found the book title from another source, the reviews on Good reads are very favourable, so I have forked over a fair bit to get it shipped to here in the UK. I am confident it will be worth it. The book is "The priceless gift of a rich cultural education" by Cornelius Hirschberg. I hadn't remembered the details exactly right, he was a travelling salesman and read during the many hours he spent on train or bus.

I would still love to know which book introduced me to it, whether it was one of Barbara's or another author altogether.
aurorasky
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the Boards and welcome to the world of fiction. It sounds as if you're in a book club, which is a great way to get introduced to good books. There are so many different kinds of fiction. I hope your first books get you hooked.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

It's in Refuse to Choose page 236
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe