Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about reading?

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about reading?

Postby aurorasky » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I read a book one time which recommended an older book that was purely about the joy of reading, and included a long list of the classics to read. I am sure it was a self-help/ lifestyle design book that was written by a woman, and it might have been one of Barbara's, does this story ring any bells with the voracious readers out there?

There's a lot of books I own but have never read from cover to cover, only skimmed, and I'd like to spend less time online and more time reading paper, as I retain the ideas better and find a lot of articles on the net are not really detailed enough to be helpful. I would also like to start reading fiction for pleasure, as most of my books are self-help/ memoir and I am sure there's lot of enjoyment to be found in fiction too. So I have just joined my local Meetup book group, though it will be a while before I get to an event. I am also very keen to read the story of a man who was a voracious reader as I think this will inspire me.

The book and the story behind it was mentioned in a book a few years ago, I thought it might have been one of Barbara's books but when I check the ones I currently have I don't see it. Basically the story was that a man lived in New York in maybe the 40's and 50's, had a humdrum job in the garment district I think, and his big source of pleasure in life was the reading he did, primarily while commuting. By learning "the good stuff" he became a very educated person albeit without the degree and while his life remained unsung and unglamorous it sounded like he had a rich inner life. He wrote the book to share his love of reading and the places he had been transported to in his imagination. The book ends with a long recommended reading list starting from the classics. For some reason I had thought the title was a variation on "the royal road of reading" but putting that into Amazon brings up a much older and totally unrelated title ... or of course it could all be a crazy dream I had and the book never was mentioned in a Barbara Sher reading list, in which case the plot would thicken considerably! The reason this has come up now is that years ago I looked for the book on Amazon, didn't see it and gave up. Now I know there are online booksellers where one can search for out of print books and maybe I will get a result that way. I'd be very keen to read this book even if it was pricey being a vintage book. Thanks all whether you have heard of this book or not and great to be a new member of this supportive community.
aurorasky
New User
New User

Re: Did Barbara ever recommend an old book just about readin

Postby aurorasky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 am

I found the book title from another source, the reviews on Good reads are very favourable, so I have forked over a fair bit to get it shipped to here in the UK. I am confident it will be worth it. The book is "The priceless gift of a rich cultural education" by Cornelius Hirschberg. I hadn't remembered the details exactly right, he was a travelling salesman and read during the many hours he spent on train or bus.

I would still love to know which book introduced me to it, whether it was one of Barbara's or another author altogether.
aurorasky
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the Boards and welcome to the world of fiction. It sounds as if you're in a book club, which is a great way to get introduced to good books. There are so many different kinds of fiction. I hope your first books get you hooked.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

It's in Refuse to Choose page 236
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am

aurorasky wrote:I found the book title from another source, the reviews on Good reads are very favourable, so I have forked over a fair bit to get it shipped to here in the UK. I am confident it will be worth it. The book is "The priceless gift of a rich cultural education" by Cornelius Hirschberg. I hadn't remembered the details exactly right, he was a travelling salesman and read during the many hours he spent on train or bus.

I would still love to know which book introduced me to it, whether it was one of Barbara's or another author altogether.

I'm pretty sure it was from one of my books. I've mentioned it more than once. In fact, I have it on my bookshelf here in Germany right now. It's such a good, inspiring book.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to General Discussion