How to save 50% off everything you buy!

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: How to save 50% off everything you buy!

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 31, 2015 9:29 am

Square Peg,

Sure could use some advice about the Plenti thing. I signed up but I'm really overwhelmed and confused. They said you could link to your local grocery. When I put in my zip code it said the only store I could link to in my area was Kmart. So, I clicked on link, but it said.................. I'll have to go back and copy it. But so far I'm totally confused.

Any luck with you on this?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm also interested. Molly had some stomach problems and now has to have incredibly expensive dog food. It has to be senior dog food without grain. My vet said, "things with wings" but Molly didn't do well with the Botanics - chicken and turkey. I might have switched dog foods too quickly.

So any good info on savings is welcome. The one she seems to tolerate best is Nulo senior. It has trout, as the first ingredient. Go figure.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 am

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for giving me the info about Molly. For you and everyone here right now, because I'm still creating a pet food system for Jodie I'm doing a lot of online research. Once I get his done, I won't be doing so much.

So, the brand plus every specific thing that your food says is important for me to know. Is Molly's food just canned just dried or both? And the trout thing is important. I found an incredible deal for Jodie's pets and was going to order a variety of flavors until he said his cats won't each chicken or turkey in canned food but love any kind of fish. I thought getting them cans of chicken and turkey and fish would give them a nice variety. But I learned in the nick of time before ordering that they'd rather have a whole lot of fish!

And, thanks for mentioning that Molly is switching brands.

Here's the insiders tip on switching brands. If you switch totally all at once and a pet doesn't like it, it could just be the shock of the switch. Here's the best way to do it.

Old brand.

3/4 old brand + 1/4 new brand blended together. See how they do.
1/2 old brand + 1/2 new brand blended together. See how they do.
3/4 new brand + 1/4 old brand blended together. See how they do.
100% new brand.

The length of time will each mix depends on how they do. It will be different with each pet.

Sometimes they're fine with the new brand but it's the abrupt switch that throws them off.

So, Elaine, post back here and give me as much specifics as possible about the old brand and new brand. Even the info about her liking trout is important. Maybe there are other fish types that will give her variety but still give her the fish flavor. Also, pets are sensitive to what they need. She may need the fish right now because of how she feels but she might be fine with the other flavors in the future.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:59 am

For all pet people, here's the info I need to check things out for you.

Dry food or wet food? Cat or Dog? Not just overall brand but the specifics -- they all have lots of variations so everything on the title of the can or bag. Oz. or Lbs. (size). flavors like Elaine gave -- turkey, chicken, fish, specific fish like trout, etc.

The more info you give me, the better.

Here's some general info for all of you.

A lot of times the sales are not just on the brand but on the specific flavors, or specific categories. That's because the company or the store is trying to get rid of overstock in turkey but understock in chicken. One flavor is selling better than another so they have to balance their stock. Or for the company, they are going to discontinue a flavor but if your pet loves it, you get to stockpile a huge amount of it before it's discontinued.

Pet food stockpiles. If you know your pet loves something and has been eating it for a long time, Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile! Get 6 months stockpiled so you don't have to haul those cans and bags ever time you shop. I'll come back later today to share info about stockpiles so don't run out and stockpile 6 months before I come back and share more!

Plus, since expiration date is important for stockpiling, I'll share some expiration date info on what to know about stockpiling pet food.

Plus................... I'll share more info about where to donate pet food you don't want. Elaine, you mentioned giving it to dumpster animals which is one place to "donate". But there are other places as well, which I'll share.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:17 pm

This is what "Shadow" gets. He consumes about one bag each month, approximately:
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets®Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula

It used to be a 30lB bag, BTW.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Molly had canine vestibular disease a couple of months ago. Ever since then, her stomach has been upset. Her vet said to give her meat and vegetables only, no grain. I thought she was over the problem, and I was ready to buy very expensive dog food. But she's having trouble again. I was reading ingredients on very expensive dog food wondering why would anyone feed their dog pheasant, or bison or venison. well, my vet said to get Molly something that she's never had before like venison, or bison or pheasant. Today, she seems to be doing okay, so maybe what I'm giving her now works. Anyway, I have to make sure that I have something that won't upset her stomach. By the way, up until she got sick, she had a cast iron constitution and could eat just about anything and not be sick.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes, which is why I stay away from the more exotic proteins for both my cats and the dog. If I ever have to switch one of them off his or her regular diet, I'd like to have a few options.

I was going to write about how Shadow ended up with this formula, but he just started fidgeting. So I think he doesn't want me to reveal his issues.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't want to nose into Shadow's personal business. Just send him our love.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:01 pm

By all means, keep Shadow's secrets.

Some physical things (animals or humans) are just nobody's business but our own. I know I wouldn't want to share some of my "stuff" online!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Airfares & Phones

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:09 am

Hi,

Just had cause to buy airline tickets and I have learned a few tips:

1. It's old news that airfares juggle on Tuesdays, but I tried it any way and it was true: after looking over the weekend, I waited till Tuesday and, bamm! the fare dropped $100. Nailed it.

2. I've also learned that their computer keep cranking up the prices as you search to motivate you to buy that ticket. Everything is gamed. The solution to this is to clear the cache in your browser or to use various different computers (phone, laptop, desktop) while searching.

Phones. Here's where I am with my phone services: my partner has her smartphone, $25 per month, I have a cell phone on pay as you go, $10 month, and I use Skype for calling out and long calls, $3 month. Total, about $38 a month.

The breakthrough was discovering that Skype was a terrific deal. This began when I was traveling to Turkey, and wanted to be able to make calls. A presentation at Rick Steves' travel agency on technology mentioned Skype for this. We tried it and it worked great, allowing us to check my US-based virgin mobile cell and make calls inside Turkey. Coming back home, I looked into their unlimited calling out service. At $3/mo I gave it a try, and it works!

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:33 am

Thank you so much. This is what I'm looking for and this is very well explained. Thanks :)
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Gojali » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Nice post..
this is a good idea. An alternative way is to back load the list AFTER I come home from shopping
Gojali
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for the info about airlines and phones. Very interesting.

This thread has been dead for a long time. If anyone new has questions about anything I've written, please feel free to ask. I stop by the boards from time to time and would be happy to answer any questions.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion