How to save 50% off everything you buy!

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: How to save 50% off everything you buy!

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 01, 2015 11:20 am

STOCKPILE

What's a “stockpile”? It's like having your own store at home. You'll have all the non-food items you use regularly. If you run out of toothpaste, do you go to the store? No. You just go to your closet (stockpile) and get a new tube. Etc. With everything you own. Fun, huh?

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION: Don't you have to have a huge garage with lots of shelving to do that? No!

I am a single person who lives alone in a one bedroom apartment. I keep my stockpile in a closet, in clear plastic boxes with lids that are shoebox size or slightly larger. Each one is labeled teeth, hair, etc. (Everything I stockpile is listed at the bottom of this post).

What I CAN'T STOCKPILE in a ONE-BEDROOM APARTMENT are bulky items like toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels,etc.. BUT YOU CAN..... if you have more storage space than I do.

Why “stockpile”? Money. Everything has been bought when it's cheapest – 50% or more saved. Not bought “when you need it” but bought at the time it's cheapest.

But there are other reasons people stockpile.

A single person may lose his/her job. Wouldn't it be nice to know you've got a years worth (or 6 months worth) of supplies stocked up? You won't be able to buy “when you need it”, because you WON'T HAVE THE MONEY to “buy it when you need it.”

I have a single friend who has chosen not to learn “The System” from me. He just lost his job. He has nothing stockpiled. He's an animal lover and has adopted 3 dogs and 6 cats – all strays. Had he been stockpiling, he'd have enough pet food to get him through a year or at least 6 months. Not having to worry about buying petfood would have relieved him of a lot of stress while job hunting. But he's chosen not to “stockpile”.

Maybe you're a couple and your spouse loses his/her job. Now you're trying to pay a mortgage on one person's salary instead of two. Maybe you or your spouse does seasonal work or free lance work, and you don't know month to month what your income will be.

Me? In addition to savings, I do it for health reasons. Sometimes, I go through periods of poor health for months at a time and I'm not well enough to shop regularly. Since I've stockpiled all non-food items, when I do go to the store, I only have to buy fresh stuff. This really cuts down on my time in the store when I'm not feeling well. Do you know someone with a health problem? Or who is elderly and can't shop as regularly as they used to? Wouldn't you like to help them stock up on non-food items?

The following is what I have stockpiled for one year. My list might help you get your own stockpile list started. Then you can add your own particulars.

Teeth: toothpaste, tooth brushes, dental floss
Hair: shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner
Body: body wash, bar soap, sunscreen, razors, shave cream, hand lotion, body lotion
Face: facial cleanser, makeup, moisturizer, cotton pads
Health: vitamins, supplements
First Aid: rubbing alcohol, Band-Aids, hydrogen peroxide, cotton balls, Q-tips, pepto-bismal, cough drops, cough syrup, witch hazel, pain relievers
Household: laundry detergent, kitchen and bathroom cleansers, dishwasher detergent, dishwashing soap, sponges, batteries, carpet cleaner, dusting supplies, candles

I do stockpile food but we'll deal with that later. For now, let's just learn to stockpile and save 50% on non-food items. Use my list to get started and add your own items to it. Have a 3-ring binder or a place in your computer for THE SYSTEM. We'll keep adding to it as we go along.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am

Elaine,

Why bother with coupons when you can get 50% OFF by working the system in each store?!!!

There is a reason for it, but frankly, I consider the coupons the "icing on the cake", not "the cake". The store savings are the cake. That's where you get the most savings. But adding coupons is a later addition.

The whole collecting coupons thing is for the birds as far as I'm concerned. When they are useful is when you just print them out from an email when you're ready to use them.

For instance, I recently did comparison shopping online (remember, most of the work is done at home) for artists paints. I found the store with the lowest price. Online they had an offer of, if you buy more than 3, you get an even lower price. In my email box, there was a coupon from that store (remember, we always sign up for email alerts from each store we shop at). The coupon was for 20% off including sale priced items so I printed it out. Just one coupon, from one store, that I planned to shop at, that day.

When I went to the store there was no sign that said the discounted price if you buy more than 3. So I went and talked to someone who works there (remember, we always talk to the people who work in stores. They are so... helpful!). She told me that, yes, they "honor online deals". If I hadn't asked, it would have just rung up for the listed price. Because I asked, she rang up each tube of paint at the discounted price. How did I do?

$7.99 each,usual price.
$4.99 at this store (online research)
$3.33 because I bought 3 and made sure the checkout person knew about the online offer
20% off because of the coupon
My final price .............(drum roll, please!) $1.99 EACH (instead of the regular $7.99) 75% off the regular retail price.

So, adding the coupon gave me an additional 20% off. But I only had to print one coupon, one day. That's "THE SYSTEM" way of using a coupon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

Tituba,

Just wanted to let you know -- I coined the phrase, "THE SYSTEM". This is my particular way of approaching this. Other books and websites focus on coupons, ie., The Coupon Mom, The Coupon Queen, etc.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I forgot to mention something. BEST DAY TO BUY BOGOS is SATURDAY MORNING. Other days or times you might get to the store and discover they've run out of what you want. Also, later in the day on Saturday they might have run out. That happened to me two weeks in a row at Walgreens because I was too lazy to get out there until 2:00 p.m. !!

Why is this? Sunday is the day new deals come out. Everyone rushes out to take advantage of them and they run out. SUNDAY IS THE THE WORST DAY.

Mid-days are iffy. You'll have to see about you local store. Fridays are usually not too bad. They stock up big time on Friday night because SATURDAY IS THE LAST DAY OF THE SALE.

So, I usually do my "homework" each week around Wednesday to be ready for Saturday.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon May 04, 2015 2:55 pm

In California, Safeway issues gas cards. You shop at Safeway and get 30 cents per gallon off when buy gas at Chevron. The problem - Chevron stations charge 30 to 50 cents more per gallon than other stations. And there's a limit to the amount of gas you can get with the discount.
I know it's a little off the subject, but...
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:In California, Safeway issues gas cards. You shop at Safeway and get 30 cents per gallon off when buy gas at Chevron. The problem - Chevron stations charge 30 to 50 cents more per gallon than other stations. And there's a limit to the amount of gas you can get with the discount.
I know it's a little off the subject, but...

It's not off the subject, at all! I'd love to hear people share their experiences here. Because Safeway is so expensive to shop at, I rarely shop there. Best grocery place in Northern California is Grocery Outlet. Basically, about 40% off everything. They don't accept coupons because of their deep discounts. I shop there first for groceries, then the 99 cent store (the 99 cent store in my area has fresh produce in addition to all the canned food), and then Safeway if there's anything left I couldn't find at the first two places. But even Safeway has some really good deals (will share those later, at some point). In fact, there are a few things that Safeway consistently has cheaper than my beloved drug stores!

Thanks for sharing, Elaine. I'm sure there are people here who shop at Safeway and haven't taken advantage of the gas cards yet. Don't they offer the card at another regular gas station? And I think they have a Safeway gas station. I'll check that out and get back to you. It's not at all Safeway stores but I think they have the gas station at one place close to where I live.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu May 07, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks so much, again! I already take advantage of many BOGO offers and stockpile them. I just don't segregate the receipts as you describe.

I find that "Rewards Points" can also be a treasure chest of value. RiteAid is switching over to the Plenti card, which uses a Rewards points system that spans several stores plus gasoline. So I'm curious to see how well I do with it. By far the best rewards system for me has been Discover Card's (credit card). Of course to make it worthwhile, I always pay off the balance in full before the due date every month to avoid finance charges because the APR is very high. Fairly recently I acquired a Nexus 7 tablet, a refurbished Windows 7 computer, lots of clothes, all for free with these rewards because some merchants will give you, say, a $25 gift card in exchange for $20 in rewards -- a 20% boost!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 08, 2015 11:12 am

IS, I get it. I totally get it. You buy your non-perishables when they're on sale and use them when you need them. And you save gas by not running down to the store when there are just a couple of things that you need - you just go to your stockpile. :D

Re gas, what I saw was a total rip off. They give you thirty cents off, but they charge forty to sixty cents more. The better option is to shop at a place that doesn't have the rewards card. I don't know if this is true of all the rewards systems, but it was true of the Safeway/Chevron connection. I don't shop at Safeway if I can help it because they use every gimmick they can think of to get people to buy what they don't need.

Hi, Sqare Peg,
Good to see your posts .I'm still having happy thoughts about all the great conversations.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:IS, I get it. I totally get it. You buy your non-perishables when they're on sale and use them when you need them. And you save gas by not running down to the store when there are just a couple of things that you need - you just go to your stockpile. :D

Yay! You got it! I hope some other people are getting it, too.

Once you have a stockpile you'll be amazed at how less often you have to go shopping. I love saving but loathe shopping!

It takes time to build the stockpile. That's time consuming but once it's up and running it is so easy and so much fun to just maintain it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Okay, guys. Any questions out there yet? I'm available for any advice needed.

Pet owners out there? I'm currently creating a "system" specifically for pet food. Once I get it up and running I'll share it here. It takes time to create a system and stockpile for a specific thing like this so it might take awhile but I'll be back with it once it's done.

DOLLAR STORES!!!

Anyone out there go to dollar stores? I have Dollar Tree and 99 cent Store in my area. BEST PLACE TO BUY BATTERIES! Be sure and check expiration dates but they're usually really good.

Spending a dollar on stuff is really great. But guess what? You can buy things for less than a dollar at dollar stores. Did you know that? Yes. And you can even get stuff for free which is the project I'm working on now (in addition to the pet food system).

If anyone is interested in how to work the system at a dollar store to buy things for less than a dollar, let me know and I'll share.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks for doing this.

I found out the hard way that batteries do have a shelf life. So good point about checking the expiration date.

I hope I'm not beating you to the punch line, IS, but a comment about dog food: Sometimes cheaper is more expensive. You have to use more of the cheap food than the expensive food, and you get more post consumer production (poop) from the cheap food. Check the side panel that says how much to feed your pet. Also, I have never had a dog that didn't get stomach trouble with Pedigree.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the dog food feedback. My friend, Jodie, in Texas has 4 dogs and 6 cats. Yes! He adopts any stray that shows up. I'm only tracking the food that he prefers for his pets. But I think the basic info I get is going to help everyone. If you have particular brands that you like, let me know and I'll track those while I'm tracking Jodie's. The system that I'm creating is based on beating the prices online to what he pays in his local stores in Texas. If you give me the names of the stores where you buy your food I can keep an eye out for you, too.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 am

I agree that cheap pet food isn't worth the risk. I had switched to a cheaper (but still expensive) dog formula, going from grain free to wheat free. It gave our dog gas, probably because he wasn't used to the oats and barley. We did switch him over gradually, too.

Also, the most expensive cat food, Evo, has the highest percentage of protein, and it lasts the longest for us. The cats gets pretty cranky when they're hungry, so we always leave out dry food for them.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 am

PET LOVERS, BEWARE!

Despite Elaine and Square Peg's posts about cheap pet food, THE SYSTEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BUYING CHEAP PRODUCTS! Not for people items or for pet items. THE SYSTEM IS ALL ABOUT BUYING EXACTLY THE PRODUCTS YOU WANT just for cheaper prices. CHEAP PRICES not cheap products!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 27, 2015 11:24 am

IS I get that. I get your system, and I like it.

This point is not related to using your system, IS. I once say some emaciated dogs at the dumps. I bought some dog food for them, and I got the cheapest stuff I could find. Well . . . if you bought this food for your dog, you would have to feed your dog TWICE as much as a better brand. So . . . no savings. You're paying more for a poor quality product. Just something else to be aware of.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion