New here, loving Wishcraft, stirring up conversation!

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

New here, loving Wishcraft, stirring up conversation!

Postby KarenP » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:43 am

Hi there,

I'm so glad this forum exists. I am posting to connect with others. I am currently going through Wishcraft and am loving it! It is exactly what I was looking for and I am being diligent about every question!

I'm a full-time director (marketing) and know exactly where I want to go next. Aspects of it might change and I know I'll know what to do as I give shape to things. It feels like a relief to realize that my current job, while it is a great position (I get to play in so many aspects of marketing and get to works with many different internal clients!), is ultimately a dead end for me.

What about you? What are you up to?

Cheers!
Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: New here, loving Wishcraft, stirring up conversation!

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 am

Welcome, Karen!

I'm in an engineering position with a fair amount of autonomy, without which I'd be really bored. I'm encouraged to flex my creative muscles as long as I keep other aspects of my job moving forward. But the creative muscles need to be somewhat job-specific. I can't just set up an easel in my cubicle and start painting. But I can teach myself some scripting / coding language to create a tool that would automate time-consuming work.

I have no idea what's next. My wife wants to move to Florida when "we" (read "I") retire. But I hate warm weather. Well, that's 20 years away. I can see myself as a handyman, and/or craftsman.

Marketing.... I had two girlfriends (at nearly the same time) who were doing marketing. One quit to become a math teacher. The other moved south I think to work at Blockbuster video headquarters.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm

KarenP wrote:
I am being diligent about every question!
That's makes me curious. Which questions are you enjoying the most? Are some easier than others? Which ones?

I'm rereading Wishcraft again. I first read it about 25 years ago and it changed my life, changed the way I see myself, changed how I interact with others, and changed the way I go after what I want in life.

Welcome to the Boards! We're always interested in having new people join us. Let us know if there are any specific areas we can help you with.

Inspire Success

P.S. You asked what we are up to. Check out my thread in Success Stories. I can't remember my title! I think it's something like Designing Again after a 25 year break!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KarenP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:37 am

SquarePeg wrote:Welcome, Karen!

I'm in an engineering position with a fair amount of autonomy, without which I'd be really bored. I'm encouraged to flex my creative muscles as long as I keep other aspects of my job moving forward. But the creative muscles need to be somewhat job-specific. I can't just set up an easel in my cubicle and start painting. But I can teach myself some scripting / coding language to create a tool that would automate time-consuming work.

I have no idea what's next. My wife wants to move to Florida when "we" (read "I") retire. But I hate warm weather. Well, that's 20 years away. I can see myself as a handyman, and/or craftsman.

Marketing.... I had two girlfriends (at nearly the same time) who were doing marketing. One quit to become a math teacher. The other moved south I think to work at Blockbuster video headquarters.

Hi SquarePeg!

Nice to meet you. My hubby is an engineer by training (currently developing websites). Sounds like you have a good set up overall.

There's something calling to me that wants' to be born. Barbara is like a mid-wife for creative work! ;)

We live on an old farm so it is nice to find some like minds on this board.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby KarenP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:49 am

inspiresuccess wrote:
KarenP wrote: I am being diligent about every question!
That's makes me curious. Which questions are you enjoying the most? Are some easier than others? Which ones?

Yikes, I don't have a favorite! What I work in a "creative" role (don't we all, ultimately), and what I love is that it is working my creative visualization muscles for my own desires (spend so much time helping others).

inspiresuccess wrote:I'm rereading Wishcraft again. I first read it about 25 years ago and it changed my life, changed the way I see myself, changed how I interact with others,

Yes, exactly. It's like I see myself as part of the world again, instead of an observer!

inspiresuccess wrote:Welcome to the Boards! We're always interested in having new people join us. Let us know if there are any specific areas we can help you with.

Will do!

inspiresuccess wrote:P.S. You asked what we are up to. Check out my thread in Success Stories. I can't remember my title! I think it's something like Designing Again after a 25 year break!

Done. I have some comments/ideas that I will share at another time.
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:34 pm

KarenP wrote:-snip-
Barbara is like a mid-wife for creative work! ;)
I like that! Well put!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi, Karen,

I'm posting my writing under "Writers and Speakers."

I wrote "The Molly Chronicles" and "Temporary Address." You can find a lot of my stepping forward and my moaning and groaning under "Success Stories" - August 2016 daily steppin' (or whatever month it happened to be. I did a lot of complaining.)

If all goes well :lol: my friends and I will shoot Molly's video on Thursday, and it will appear on YouTube sometime soon after that. I think marketing is HARD!!!!!!!

Glad to hear a new voice on the Boards. Welcome.

I read Wishcraft when it first came out, and I've been reading and watching Barbara Sher ever since.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KarenP » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:15 am

Elaine,

Wow, that's very exciting! I just read the descriptions on amazon. Congrats, that's just fantastic! I'm going to try to read one or both books!

Marketing is simpler if you break it down into what it really is. Identifying your audience is critical, and then writing to that audience and finding them, etc. It is fun for me! :) Just like with Barbara's work, you have to set realistic expectations and grow in small steps.

This is my favorite definition of marketing (by the late Harry Browne):
MARKETING: Locating those individuals with the proper profit motive and demonstrating to them that your product or service will satisfy that profit motive. It is not an attempt to change the desires, natures, or profit motives of other human beings.
PROFIT: Increase in happiness by replacing one situation by another.

Cheers!
Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:05 pm

HI, Karen,

I like your definition so much.

Often marketing seems to be telemarketers, pop-ups, and door-to-door reps trying to sell me something I don't want. Then I ask,"How am I different from them?"
So many of us, including me, want help with marketing. I'm glad you're here stirring things up.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi Karen,

That's a perfect definition of marketing. That's the focus I have for my design business. People don't understand why I want to wait to "launch" my business on the internet a year from now. It's because before I do, I want to be really clear who my audience is, and how best to reach them.

My designs will appeal to a very small percentage of knitters. I'm not mainstream. So, it's extremely important for me to identify my niche and figure out my followers BEFORE I create a website, blog, twitter, Instagram, etc. I don't know much about these things and I plan to research all of them to know how to best implement them BEFORE I use them.

I HAVE A PLAN. The way I will use Barbara Sher's "one step at a time" approach, is to break down my goals, and then take them step by step, to achieve the major goal of having a design business again.

I agree with Elaine. Thanks for stirring up conversation here!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KarenP » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:40 am

It is so fun to be here. I feel as though I'm among like minds, but all with varying and valuable perspectives! Ahhh, feels good.

I have some questions of my own, but am quite busy at work. Really enjoying this exchange though. I'm happy to answer marketing questions if anyone has them.

All the best,
Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby KarenP » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:26 am

I'm a little stuck around page 100 of Wishcraft. It's not the book, I just got a little sidetracked. Ugh.

I'm doing each question as instructed and not anticipating what the exercises might mean or add up to. I do have a little concern that I'm doing that thing where you say what you "think" you should say, but I think I'm mostly being very honest about it.

I hope to work on it again this weekend.

I'd love a little nudge from others who have done all the exercises (but no spoilers please!).

Thanks!
Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Karen,

I'm rereading Wishcraft after many years. I'll take a look at page 100 to see where you're at.

Maybe a short break is where you need to be, to let what you've done so far, sink in. Don't assume you're just procrastinating. You may be "percolating" and will get right back on track once your mind decides you're ready to move forward again.

I'll check back in with you on Monday to see how you're doing.

Congrats for working your way through Wishcraft!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KarenP » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Congrats for working your way through Wishcraft!

Inspire

Hi again!

I've gotten past my page 100 block. Just ordered a physical copy of the book. I'd been reading on my phone and it was hard to track the sections.

How's your latest round of Wishcraft going?

Karen
KarenP
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi Karen,

I just got your private message. Thanks!

I hope you will continue on this thread because others may join in with their comments or experiences as well.

I took a break from Wishcraft to work on a project from my thread in the Success Stories forum -- Designing again after a 25 year break!

Once I get that project done I'm going to get back to Wishcraft. It's been really interesting so far to compare who I was 25 years ago when I first read Wishcraft and who I am now.

Wishcraft was the book that got me started designing and here I am, designing again after all these years. It seems so appropriate.

Barbara says that all your dreams can come true. Many of mine have not, despite working her programs. But there are certain skills I've learned from her books that I still use.

One of them is "Never take no for an answer". What she suggests and I always do, is say, "Do you know anyone else I could ask or call about this?" B. says that people hate not being able to help, and they're relieved when you give them the option of helping in a different way than what you asked. Before I learned that, I kept getting stuck in dead ends. They'd ask and say no and I'd say okay and that was it.

I'm glad you got unstuck from page 100. I knew you would. I had a bad week recently after doing really well for a long time. My therapist said she liked to look at my backslide as "a slight hiccup". I loved that idea of being stuck a bit as a "hiccup". So, your hiccups have stopped and you're breathing better again! Once I get this design project done, I'll be breathing easier myself.

Thanks for being a new and active member of the Boards. We need more like you!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion