How to get self-published book reviewed

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

How to get self-published book reviewed

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi,

I can't recommend any of these because I haven't read them. But it may get you started. If you do read, please share with us what was useful and what was not, so we don't all have to read stuff that isn't worth reading!

Short articles online

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blo ... shed-books

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/indie-reviews/

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/publish ... -book.html

http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/201 ... reviewers/

http://selfpublishingadvice.org/get-you ... -reviewed/

Books on Amazon

50 Ways to Get Book Reviews: Easily Actionable Techniques for Self-Published Authors Kindle Edition
by Dr. Brine Ritchie (Author)

How to get bloggers to review your self-published book: An insider's guide Kindle Edition
by Knockin' Books Blog (Author)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: How to get self-published book reviewed

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm looking for something i got from Lulu publishing.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:14 pm

I just read the Writers Digest article. I recommend it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:14 am

I didn't read the entire thing at Kirkus because the first thing that caught my eye was the cost.

$425.00!!!!!

Of course, Kirkus is a big name, but is it really THAT BIG a name that it would be worth a mini-fortune to buy a review? NOT FOR ME!

I will go back and read the website in more detail just to see if anything triggers some ideas for me in other ways. I might gain more information about reviews in general or perhaps ideas for other places to go.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 am

I skimmed over the Empty Mirror Books article. Brief but good.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 am

The selfpublishingadvice.org is one person's experience on getting reviews for his own book. He did focus on something the other articles did not -- giving books away to get a review.

I'm not a big fan of his give-away approach, but others may find it interesting.

At this point, I'm gathering everything I can find on getting reviews. I'll read it all in more detail later (and take copious notes!). I like to gather a lot of stuff and then make it a project to read about that particular subject all at once. I know other people like to read bits and pieces as they go along. As far as Barbara Sher's categories, I'm a "Diver". I like to dive into something and really explore it all at once for awhile, before moving on to another category.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm making a list of people I'd like to review my book. I'm taking Barbara Sher's view of things. I'm letting myself be as wild and unlimited as I want. A list of ANYONE living or dead whom I'd like to have review my book. One of the things I've learned from Barbara's books is to let my imagination go. Have fun with it!

I do have one person I knew 25 years ago whom I think might remember me. She is still working with a publisher and continuing to write and publish books every year or two. If she says yes I'm planning on asking her if she knows anyone else I could ask. She used to know all the big names in the design field. If she recommends someone she might even have their contact information and might be willing to contact them first and let them know a friend of hers is going to submit a book to them. This is something I learned from Barbara's books also. BBS (Before Barbara Sher) if someone said no to me I'd just shrug my shoulders and say okay. ABS (After Barbara Sher) I always ask if they know anyone else I could contact. I've had that pay off. Plus, same thing if someone says yes. No matter what the answer is (yes or no) I always ask if they can direct me to someone else who could help.

My book won't be done for at least a year, but I firmly believe in starting to lay down the groundwork for marketing strategy along with working on the book. That way when I'm ready to publish I'll be ready to promote the book.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because it might give you some ideas for your own publishing goals.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:47 pm

It's great advice, and it applies to every endeavour.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to General Discussion