California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:34 pm

For people with SAD, please note that the article says:

"Many healthcare experts recommend that SAD patients spend a portion of each day in front of a light that mimics sunlight in order to bring their circadian rhythms and hormonal balances back to normal. Not all full spectrum lights are beneficial in this context. Bulbs usually need to emit at least some ultraviolet, or UV, rays in order to be effective".

So, if you need full spectrum for SAD, be sure it has the UV rays.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I just remembered that artists are supposed to have "Northern Light" for painting. I wonder what the difference is in northern vs. other directions of light. Another thing to research.

Links to info on value of northern light for artists:

http://www.finearttips.com/2010/01/why- ... rth-light/
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Link to full spectrum and LED info I haven't read yet. I tend to "lose" things in the computer so I'm listing them here and will read them later.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/l ... claims.asp
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:36 pm

I used to have halogen floor lamps years ago. I love them. I'm wondering if halogen is also banned by CA.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:56 pm

I know. I'm going bonkers with this. It was supposed to be nights out already and I'm still searching for stuff.

Here's what I realized. I can get the magnifying lamp with LED even if LED is not full spectrum. The point of the magnifying lamp is MAGNIFYING details of design stitches. It's not the light that matters. It's the magnification.

The other swing arm lamp I need is one that has really good full spectrum light for my art work.

Two different lamps for work: full spectrum swing arm lamp and magnifying LED swing arm lamp for art. ( I still don't know if CA title 20 allows LED shipping).

And, I also need the full spectrum light bulbs for my regular lamps in my house.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:48 am

inspiresuccess wrote:-snip-
Here's what I need:

For all the regular lamps in my house: light bulbs that are truly full spectrum that look exactly like a regular incandescent bulb. And to know if this type of light bulb is approved by CA title 20
-snip-
OK, I bought two "Daylight" LED bulbs that fit in a standard socket like an incandescent bulb. It's color spectrum is bluer than the spectrum of a typical bulb. I use them in my home office.
Here's a link to some matching items on Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-L ... 79Z1z0u18w

I doubt that these are Full Spectrum. I suspect that they lack energy output in the red end of the spectrum. However, they might be a good compromise since they emit wavelengths that are closer to UV than the norm.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:56 am

inspiresuccess wrote:I just remembered that artists are supposed to have "Northern Light" for painting. I wonder what the difference is in northern vs. other directions of light. Another thing to research.

Links to info on value of northern light for artists:

http://www.finearttips.com/2010/01/why- ... rth-light/
I think this means diffuse indirect light. It's true for photography, too. At the end of the school year when my daughter brings home drawings, paintings, etc. I wait for an overcast day to photograph them outdoors, and I place them on the blacktop driveway and shoot them near midday. Otherwise, painted surfaces especially will reflect too much texture from the brush strokes.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 am

inspiresuccess wrote:I used to have halogen floor lamps years ago. I love them. I'm wondering if halogen is also banned by CA.
I found out recently how beautiful halogen light is. The incandescent bulbs that are sold today are now halogen. They're more efficient. For example, a "60W" bulb might require only 43W power to operate. So when I bought these new bulbs I was incredibly impressed by the warm inviting light that they produced. I'm sure this is the lighting you'll see in high-end jewelry and clothing shops. Unfortunately they are not as efficient as fluorescent bulbs.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:05 am

inspiresuccess wrote:I know. I'm going bonkers with this. It was supposed to be nights out already and I'm still searching for stuff.

Here's what I realized. I can get the magnifying lamp with LED even if LED is not full spectrum. The point of the magnifying lamp is MAGNIFYING details of design stitches. It's not the light that matters. It's the magnification.

The other swing arm lamp I need is one that has really good full spectrum light for my art work.

Two different lamps for work: full spectrum swing arm lamp and magnifying LED swing arm lamp for art. ( I still don't know if CA title 20 allows LED shipping).

And, I also need the full spectrum light bulbs for my regular lamps in my house.
I think you'll want to be very fussy with your LED craft lamp if perceiving the color of your design is important. I bought LED strip lighting to install under a set of kitchen cabinets. They're really bright, but the color spectrum is "off". The food looks unappetizing. I keep it turned off when I prepare food and use it only if I need good lighting for cleaning. I think part of the problem is the color of the surrounding wall. And maybe it would be better if I painted the underside of the cabinet instead of leaving it bare wood....
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:12 pm

SquarePeg wrote:OK, I bought two "Daylight" LED bulbs that fit in a standard socket like an incandescent bulb. It's color spectrum is bluer than the spectrum of a typical bulb. I use them in my home office. I suspect that they lack energy output in the red end of the spectrum. However, they might be a good compromise since they emit wavelengths that are closer to UV than the norm.


Thanks, SQ. One of the lamps I have is 3-way. I checked your Home Depot link and noticed: Feit Electric 50/100/150W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A21 3-Way LED Light Bulb ($17.97. Yikes!) What caught my eye is the 5000K which I remember the article mentioned about color temperature.

When you mention the blue end of the spectrum...does that mean you can notice the color yourself? Does closer to UV means whiter?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:16 pm

SquarePeg wrote:I think this means diffuse indirect light. It's true for photography, too. At the end of the school year when my daughter brings home drawings, paintings, etc. I wait for an overcast day to photograph them outdoors, and I place them on the blacktop driveway and shoot them near midday. Otherwise, painted surfaces especially will reflect too much texture from the brush strokes.


Ahhh.... Got it. The sun moves from east to west. Therefore, the north/south light is indirect.

Now that I have a cell phone, I want to photograph images from books, etc. Maybe indoor light is not the good place to do it. Maybe I should do what you do, and try it outside.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:37 pm

SquarePeg wrote:
I think you'll want to be very fussy with your LED craft lamp if perceiving the color of your design is important. I bought LED strip lighting to install under a set of kitchen cabinets. They're really bright, but the color spectrum is "off". The food looks unappetizing. I keep it turned off when I prepare food and use it only if I need good lighting for cleaning. I think part of the problem is the color of the surrounding wall. And maybe it would be better if I painted the underside of the cabinet instead of leaving it bare wood....
************

I think I'm going to have to buy a magnifier lamp and give it a try. I won't really know what the LED light is going to look like. I think my first step at this point is the decide the level of magnification I need. I'm going to take a swatch to a store that has mirrors with magnification and hold the swatch to it, to get a sense of how much magnification I need. I might not need as much as I think. I do know that I'd like the magnifier itself to measure 5" instead of 3". Those seem to be the size choices. Oh, I don't know! I should just buy one and try it!

SQ -- I really appreciate the time you've spent reading all my posts and giving feedback. I especially appreciate all the info you're sharing about your own experiences with light. It's been very illuminating! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:33 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:
SquarePeg wrote:
-snip-

SQ -- I really appreciate the time you've spent reading all my posts and giving feedback. I especially appreciate all the info you're sharing about your own experiences with light. It's been very illuminating! :D
You're so funny -- love it! :)

You're welcome. I was worried that you'd realize I didn't follow any of the links you provided... :oops:

A neat thing about LED bulbs is that some of them are dimmable. (No CFL bulbs are dimmable.) That's something to consider if you have any dimmer switches in the home.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm putting this here so I don't lose it. Article on diopter (curve of lens) and x magnification.

https://www.dazor.com/choosing-a-lighted-magnifier.html
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:55 pm

What a wild goose chase this has been.

I started out wanting 2 simple swing arm lamps for 20 bucks each so I could direct the light on this craft project I'm being paid to do.

Simple, right?

When I googled "swing arm lamps" I was blocked from buying them because of CA Title 20.

I wanted to buy the magnifier lamp sometime in the future for specific work that is detailed. I don't need it all the time for my craft stuff. Just occasional work. I was going to "invest" in one in the future because they are expensive.

But I did all that research about the magnifying lamp because I thought I couldn't get the cheapy swing arms.

Then... while I was doing yoga... I had a revelation. Why not try googling "LED.....swing arm lamps"?

Guess what.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:01 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron