California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 am

Just wanted to say that one of the worst parts of my job in haz mat was reading the statutes and regulations. This is because they're written in something that looks like English, but would get an F in any English class. They are written by lawyers and not by normal people. There is a good reason for this. If there's any possible way to misinterpret the law, someone will do it. There was a corporation that paid $5,000 for a permit instead of $60,000 because the law wasn't written correctly. There was nothing we could do about it. (multi-million - maybe billion dollar corporation, if the permit fee sounds really high. The permitting fee covered the cost of more than one emergency responses - four or five responders, office staff, activation of the emergency warning system, and several days of follow-up. I feel I have to justify, since I hate paying permitting fees.)
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 am

I ordered an LED swing arm lamp for better lighting for the design project. It will arrive in 5 days. It's twice as expensive as the old swing arm incandescent ones - $50 instead of $25. But since it's LED it will last much longer so it makes sense. The shipping order went through so one of my questions has been answered. CA Title 20 APPROVES LED LIGHT BULBS.

I just hope I like LED light. :)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Big thank you. You just inspired some success.

My mother-in-law sleeps about an hour at a time in the night. That means that my husband sleeps 0 hours each night. He considers it working graveyard shift, but he's not really getting all the sleep he needs during the day. I'm going to try the full spectrum lighting and see if it helps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 pm

p.s. the traffic signals in our county are LED and they were put in as an energy saving measure. They're the ones with the dots.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Big thank you. You just inspired some success.

My mother-in-law sleeps about an hour at a time in the night. That means that my husband sleeps 0 hours each night. He considers it working graveyard shift, but he's not really getting all the sleep he needs during the day. I'm going to try the full spectrum lighting and see if it helps.

Good luck with that. I hope it helps. I'm going to double check the official light boxes with UV for you. They help with lots of things like sleep and mood, etc. The mood part could really help with the stress of your situation. I'll check back and let you know. Lots of lights are called light boxes for SAD but not actually what is needed. I know what to look for.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:37 pm

EG,

Changing light bulbs to full spectrum is very subtle and probably won't do much for the average person. Because my SAD is severe I'll take ANYTHING, even the tiniest thing I can get like changing the light bulbs.

Here's why I think an actual light box could help your husband (and possibly you, too).

They are used for lots of other people besides SAD sufferers, because they reset people's circadian rhythms. For instance:

People who work rotating shifts, day, night, graveyard, etc.
People who work nights and sleep days.
People who work in rooms with no windows, no natural light.
Caregivers like your husband, whose circadian rhythms are disrupted by unpredictable natural light exposure due to sleep issues.

They are very easy to use. You sit in front of them for 20 minutes per day. Just be sure your eyes are open! Don't fall asleep in front of it. The light has to be able to go directly into your eyes in order to work.

Light boxes help with so many things I won't list them all here. Let's just say they help people sleep better, feel better, have a better outlook on life, have more energy and the ability to enjoy life more.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:14 pm

SquarePeg wrote: I am using a lamp right at this very moment to treat SAD. It uses LEDs.
http://sadlightshq.net/review-sphere-ga ... sad-light/

SQ, How long have you been using it? Do you think it works well? It seems tiny compared to the one I have.

I've had mine for about 30 years. It's the size of a large briefcase, is made of a beautiful wood with a brass handle. Like they say, "They don't make 'em like they used to"! The disadvantage is in a small apartment like mine it takes a huge amount of space. But I don't feel like forking over $65 for something I own that works well. It must be LED. I've only changed the bulbs once in 30 years.

EG. I hope you will consider giving it a try. SQ do you know if they have a 30 day money back guarantee?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Anyone have trouble seeing to put your key in the lock of your door?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZRP3CS/re ... ZRH1ZUZV4V

Easy application. It sticks on.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:48 pm

another one I'm saving to read later. It compares incandescent light with halogen. Says halogen is more on the blue side. That's probably why I used to like my halogen lamps. I haven't read the article yet.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Difference-Betw ... 291/g.html
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm trying to figure out how much magnification and how much diopter (a new word I learned -- means how much magnification) I need. If anyone likes reading this type of s**t, please enjoy and try to translate for me.

The good news is, I'm learning a lot about magnifying lamps and I have them narrowed down to about 5-6 on Amazon with really clear notes about Diopter, SMD, Color Temperature, Lens diameter. When I started this thread, I had no idea what any of that meant. I'm making progress.

Happy reading here for anyone who enjoys numbers and scientific stuff.

Math and science were my weakest subjects in school. Total dunce. But art and music -- aced it. One time in high school when I did really poorly on a science test I wrote on the bottom, "I'm an artist; not a scientist". Unfortunately, when I got home I learned much to my chagrin that my parents had invited THAT TEACHER AND HIS WIFE to dinner at my house. My mother did take the wife up to my bedroom and show her my artwork but... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here's the info for anyone who would like to read and translate:

(Bolds and underlines done by me)

How do diopters translate to power?

Power refers to how much larger an object is made to look through a magnifying lens. Power is typically indicated by an "X" such as 2X or 4X. The relationship between diopters and power is: diopters divided by 4 + 1 (original object) equal power. For example, a 16 diopter lens would be (16 diopters ÷ 4 + 1 = 5X power).

Why is focal length important?

Focal length is the distance from the center of a lens to the point where the light rays converge and the object is in optimal focus (focal point). This is also known as the "working distance" of the lens. Focal length is important when the task requires using tools with the object being viewed. Because focal length decreases as power increases, there is less room to perform work on an object under higher power lenses.

How big will the field of view be?
The field of view is the size of the magnified area under the lens that is in focus. The field of view decreases as power increases. More powerful lenses make small details look big, but less of the total object is visible. There is a trade-off for the viewer who must decide between the size of the field of view and amount of magnification.

God, it's like being 12 years old in science class again. :bash:

What's driving me to submit myself to this torture? LOVE OF ART, CRAFT, AND DESIGN -- THE STUFF I'M GOOD AT! When I invest in a magnifying LED lamp it's going to help me with my work. And that...will be very cool!

Inspire Success
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 pm

I found something that is a definite possibility, but I first need to read all the info I've put here. Here's the one that looks best so far:

OptiLumix

60 SMD LED (there are ones smaller like 46 and larger like 90) (SMD is newest LED technology, lasts 2x as long)
5” lens (there are 3” ones that I don't want)
5 diapters (2.25X) (there are 3 diapters and one 8 diapter) ( powerful clarity)
6000-7000 Kelvins (true color temperature) (simulates natural sunlight)
Dimmable light (adjusts to 6 levels of brightness) (this is important to me because I'm so sensitive to light. Plus, some projects will need more, some less, so I have flexibility)
360 degree pivot (not all have this)

$90 (save 31% on Amazon). Within my $100 maximum. I've gone over my budget this month and $100 could push me to the edge. Although I will get $200 when I finish my project, I have no idea when that might happen and when I'd be paid. I really want to order this NOW! But I'll read over what I've put in this thread, first.

I found this in one of my other posts. I said this is probably what I need:

Color Index 90-100.
Color temperature 5,000 K.

The lamp above has 6,000-7,000, so that works. I don't know what the color index is. I'm sure somewhere in this thread it will explain those numbers. I'm not up to cruising through again. Later.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:35 pm

I reread the entire thread. SQ, you mentioned this and then I found it in one of the articles:

The field of view decreases as power increases. More powerful lenses make small details look big, but less of the total object is visible. There is a trade-off for the viewer who must decide between the size of the field of view and amount of magnification.

Oops. I just assumed 5 diopter is better than 3. I didn't consider the fact that less of the object will appear. Sigh. Another thing to factor in. How do you spell diopter correctly?

I have lots of 3 diopter lamps saved in Amazon. I haven't gone through them yet.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:09 pm

I love math and science and I know a little about magnification, and I'm confused by your last post. It's all going to come down to what works well for you. Can you go down to a store, check out the magnifiers in person, see which magnification does what you need, and then order it from wherever you want, or - shock - buy it at the store? (Do people still do that?)

By the way, kudos for doing all that reading about science, which isn't your thing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: Can you go down to a store, check out the magnifiers in person, see which magnification does what you need, and then order it from wherever you want, or - shock - buy it at the store?

Oh, Elaine! What a lovely dream!!!! I wish!!! These are not sold in stores anywhere. Believe me, I've tried. Stores like Walmart and Sears offer them online but they are not sold by Sears or Walmart but by other companies through Sears and Walmart. Because Sears, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. don't sell them themselves, I can't return them to the store. I have to return them through the mail. That's why this is all so difficult. If I could go to a store, buy it, try it out, don't like it, return it to the store, it would be heavenly!

Unfortunately ... ONLY IN MY DREAMS! :lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I love math and science and I know a little about magnification, and I'm confused by your last post.

If you have some old magnifying glass lying around the house, you'll see what they are talking about. With the naked eye, you see your whole hand. With a lightweight magnifying glass, you'll see part of your hand. With a more powerful magnification, you'll see an even smaller part of your hand.

I can't believe I'm trying to explain this to someone who loves math and science! :lol:

I have to decide how much of the total part of my scarf I want to see with magnification. My leaves on the scarf are about 3" square. I want to be able to see the whole leaf, not just a small detail. If I have too much magnification, I'll only see a portion of the leaf. I don't want a teeny tiny section. I want to see the whole leaf. Does that make sense?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion