California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: California restrictions on lamps and light bulbs

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm glad you're happy with the light box, Inspire.

Thanks for the info. What you both described is what I was hoping for. I'll order the box and try it out on myself first. No, my mother in law doesn't do any of those things anymore. She can't focus on a book long enough to enjoy it. And she used to love to read. She'd go through about three books a week. So yes, all she does is watch TV now. Getting up from the couch to a wheel chair is a major undertaking for her, so, no, she can't cook, and she doesn't sew. I was thinking of getting some stuff to make Christmas cards, and see if she wanted to try making some with me. She used to be involved in everything; her world is getting so much smaller now.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:48 am

I hope that the lamp will improve the situation, Elaine. Tom sounds like a good man -- any break he can get will be well deserved.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Light Therapy for SAD and Time Zone adjustment

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:31 am

I changed the Subject line in this topic to reflect the way the discussion has drifted.

I usually have a difficult time whenever Daylight Savings Time (DST) ends, when we set the clocks back and gain an extra hour over that weekend. (Oddly I don't have trouble going the opposite way -- I'm already waking up earlier in the Spring.) The trouble is that for the first week I usually wake up early (at the usual time -- an hour earlier according to the new time) and then I fall back asleep and overshoot the hour.

This year is different. Even before the end of DST, I'd been waking up at 4am to 4:30am and then having trouble falling asleep because I'd experience some anxiety. My naturopathic doctor thinks that it's because my blood sugar has gone too low, and since my adrenal glands are weak, they no longer produce cortisol so instead they pump out adrenaline to boost the blood sugar. He advised me not to just lie in bed hoping to fall back asleep but instead to eat a protein-rich snack (such as a handful of macadamia nuts) and go back to bed. That was fairly effective. Sometimes I'd also take a GABA supplement if the anxiety was really bad.

After DST ended, I thought I'd awaken an hour earlier (3am to 3:30am) as a result of the clocks getting turned back. But that didn't happen this year. Instead, I wake up about 90 minutes after that -- somewhere between 4:30am and 5am. Lately I've decided I'd get up at this time. For example, this morning I got up at about 5:15am. (I like to dawdle a bit on the weekends.) The four cats don't seem to mind getting fed at this time; they seem to prefer it. Yet I keep sensing the warm bed calling at me to lie back down. I plow through that feeling, drink some coffee with almond butter mixed in it while listening to the smacking sounds of the cats, and by then the hyperactive black lab is scratching at the bedroom door. I tell myself that I'll let the dog out and then lie back down. I free the dog from the bedroom. He bursts out (like a caged velociraptor). I set down his food, which he gobbles within 10 seconds (yes, Shadow, that's You!) put his leash on and take him into the back yard. It's about 6am and Day is breaking, so I let him off leash and engage him in a vigorous game of fetch. He's so energetic, and the air is a crisp 32 degree F (0C), so when I tell myself that I'll lie down when I get inside, I don't really need to anymore.

And that's how I started my day this morning.

I think the lamp had a lot to do with delaying my waking time 90 minutes, and I'm grateful for it. I'm still using it so that I stay active and alert well into the evening.

When I was reviewing the "reset circadian rhythm" search results for inspiresuccess, I came across one unique suggestion that involved fasting the day before in order to adjust the digestive system's clock. I think if I wanted to wake a bit later, I'll have to try that because I feel the need to go to the bathroom (#1 and #2) as soon as I get up. By fasting, I might be able to delay that signal, too.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 am

Oh, yay, Shadow! :D Our friend! I was hoping that the overactive black lab was Shadow. I got the biggest charge reading his name.

Molly here. Hi, or woof, or whatever. I'm so glad you're keeping Square Peg on his toes. We overachieving dogs need to make sure that our humans get lots of exercise.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 am

Elaine, again. How does using the light box compare with being outside? Twenty minutes is equivalent to how much time out on a bright sunny day?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: How does using the light box compare with being outside? Twenty minutes is equivalent to how much time out on a bright sunny day?

Light box gives you the maximum brightness of 20 minutes at noon on a sunny, summer day.

Here in Northern CA, winter is often dark and rainy. With a light box, you can get a dose of full summer sun ON A DAILY BASIS. Also, the winter sunlight, at least here, is frequently a watery version of light, due to clouds and fog. You can use the light box at any time of day, rather than waiting for the weather to be good.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Everyone uses their light differently.

Here's how I use mine. it's set up to the kind of timer you use for your lights to go off and on when you're out of town. It pops on at the same time of the morning, and switches off 20 minutes later, which is my cue to get up. I stay in bed during the 20 minutes saying my gratitude prayers and other prayers and affirmations. I look directly at the light for about 30 seconds every few minutes. Never just staring at it.

I cannot use the light at any other time of day because I'm bipolar. Later in the day can trigger hypomania and insomnia. I have to be careful not to use it on really bright days because I get too much of a dose.

Newer versions of light boxes often have the light come on gradually like the sun does in the morning. It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm not sure it would be good for me. I'm so sensitive to light I think I might need the bright jolt.

I wasn't going to share this because I didn't want to say I'm bipolar. However, I realized there might be bipolar people reading this thread and they might have a bad experience without the warning I've given above. Since I have both SAD and bipolar, it's a tricky balance for me. If you have both, be very careful and let your doctor know how you're doing with it. My doctor was the one who said, "Stop using it! That's what's causing the hypomania". I stopped using it for awhile and he was right. I have to carefully go back on it again in order to battle the SAD again, but use the light less.

Elaine, you will find out what works best for you by experimenting. What works for you may not be what works for Tom or your MIL (What's her name?) Everyone has to experiment with it and use what works for them.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:59 pm

My light box versus outdoors....

Outdoors is definitely better. According to the manual, sunlight is 50,000lux whereas the lightbox is only 10,000lux. But I don't know what they mean by sunlight. I'd assume sunlight is measured when the incidence of the sun's rays are perpendicular to Earth, which occurs at noon on the equator on either Equinox. That's probably close to noon on cloudless June 21 day where I live. I think the lightbox might be as good or better than morning or afternoon sunlight in late autumn or early spring.

The other advantage of outdoors (especially this time of year) is the cool crisp autumn air, the vista, the possibility of encountering negative ions near a babbling brook, and perhaps the silly rollicking around with a black lab that goes bonkers after tennis balls. (Yes, Shadow, ball!).

HTH
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:04 pm

After reading the latest post by inspiresuccess, I should mention that it's not possible to set up my lightbox to turn on automatically. While it has a timer to turn off after 15, 30 or 45 minutes, it must be turned on manually. You can't turn it on, plug it into a wall outlet timer, and expect the timer to turn the unit on and off as it would turn on and off a regular lamp.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:52 pm

One last question. I wear eyeglasses. How does that affect my getting either sunlight or light box light?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:One last question. I wear eyeglasses. How does that affect my getting either sunlight or light box light?

Are you...sure...this is the last question??? :lol:

The answer is, it won't affect you at all with the light box because you're only going to be using it for a short time.

If you're outside for long periods of time in the sun you should wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. I got a cool pair in the drugstore that fit over my regular glasses.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Okay, not the last question. I was wondering if eyeglasses filter out the light that you're trying to get to your eyes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Okay, not the last question. I was wondering if eyeglasses filter out the light that you're trying to get to your eyes.

No, they don't filter anything because the glasses are clear. That's why you need to wear sunglasses to actually change the way the light enters your eyes to protect them.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:31 am

But windows are clear also, and they filter out UV.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Good questions, Elaine. The light box manual does not say to remove eyeglasses, so it should be okay to wear them during therapy. The manual does say not to wear sunglasses. I suppose if you have eyeglasses with lenses that darken in bright light, you should remove them.

Window glass nowadays is coated with a film that reflects some heat back to its source. That film might also attenuate UV. Eyeglass lenses do not have that film.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion