Need advice about cable TV

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Need advice about cable TV

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I rented a room in other people's houses for 12 years, then moved to my own apartment. I've been here 3 years and have been too poor to buy a TV or pay for cable. Now, I'm ready and I need advice about cable companies.

THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING is MUSIC. I remember being able to pick a genre (country, classical, hip hop, blues, etc) and listen to whatever came up and learn about that piece of music because it would say who the artist was, the composer, etc. sometimes something about the genre in general. I've been looking over the listed channels and I don't see anything like that. What should I look for? Is there an actual "music channel" that offers that?

There's no point in me ordering cable if I don't have music. I plan on listening while I work, then taking a break and watching part of a TV show -- switch back and forth like that, but music is the most important.

Also, if anyone has advice/experience with particular cable networks, please let me know.

I do not want a "dish". I have a tiny view of trees and sky that I desperately need and I don't want it marred by a big, ugly grey disc.

Also, what is HD? I will be buying a small 32" TV. any suggestions about tv buying are also welcome. I plan on going to Best Buy, tell them what I need and take their advice. The most important thing again is the sound. Because of my hearing loss, "surround sound" is not a good idea. I recently got my hearing aids adjusted so that I only hear what's directly in front of me.

Also......!!! Yeah, I know! Because of hearing problems I will need to buy some type of headset.

Any advice on any of this would be very welcome.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Need advice about cable TV

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:34 pm

This is depressing. I looked at http://www.cabletv.com for a list of companies in my area. There are only 4 listed -- 2 are dish, 1 is ATT Uverse that isn't available in my apartment complex. There is only 1 left -- Comcast. I checked their listing in their 140 channel basic. Out of 140 you'd think I could get what I want. No. They don't have Ovation. I'm really into "the arts", dance, classical music, theatre, opera, etc. They don't have CMT which is the channel for my favorite TV show - Nashville. They don't have TMC. The only films I watch are classics -- preferably black and white. And I don't see anything in the 140 that looks like the music I want.

Help!

I was so looking forward to having cable TV.

The only other thing I know of in this area is WAVE, which sounds really complicated and something I wouldn't want. I get offers in the mail all the time from them.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:40 pm

And no, I don't want to watch things on the internet. I do that now in front of a tiny little monitor, sitting on a hardback chair, in an unheated room. I do not have a laptop. That will be the big purchase later in the year. I also watch DVDs on this little, painful computer situation. I WANT A TV in the warm living room with a remote, while I sit in my recliner. I want comfort and ease.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:49 pm

What's a "smart TV". Since I have to buy a TV, is that something I should look into? Yes, I know I can google all this, but I was hoping for some help in sifting through all this. Ick!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 pm

F*******CK! I'm so depressed and I've been dangling this idea of having a TV in front of me to take my mind off depression and give me some hope.

I found this listing at the local library about smart TVs. I went to sign up for it, but it's full. I couldn't register. D**M, F**K, S**T.

Please forgive my swearing. I'm hanging on by a very thin thread these days.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 pm

I hope Square Peg or someone else responds. I had Comcast, but their service is so bad that I opted to do without TV rather than call them every day and badger them to fix their #$@@#%#@%#$ equipment. ATT will cheat you if they can. If you go with Comcast, I suggest that if you ever have a problem, badger them until they fix it and do NOT be polite to the poor reps who answer the phone. They are out to help the company not you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I know I'm probably just talking to myself here. Even if I don't get any advice, at least I will have all my info in one place.

I have ATT Uverse internet. When I set it up I just plugged in USP whatever. But I can set it up for WiFi. At least I think so. I'd have to forage in my boxes of papers to find the instructions. Or probably they are online somewhere. I don't know what WiFi is so I didn't bother to set it up. I could. I have my first smart phone but haven't learned how to use it. Someone said having WiFi would be good for that.

In case I sound incredibly ignorant and behind the times, it's because I've lived way below the poverty line for a long time. Believe it or not, there are literally MILLIONS of people in the US who live in poverty and cannot afford a TV. Politicians talk all the time about the middle class and the wealthy. Poverty is a dirty word that politicians avoid like the plague. EVERYONE avoids the word. Sadly, millions of people, including children, live in poverty in this country.

I'm one of the lucky ones who now lives slightly ABOVE the poverty line and therefore can afford a small tv.

I know this is WAY MORE THAN ANYONE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT ME. I'm feeling pretty desperate and depressed. I will stop posting now.

P.S. The smart TV class is free and I'm just going to SHOW UP even though I'm not registered. What are they going to do -- kick me out? I think not. I'm sure someone on the sign up list won't show up. It's on January 25th. I wait until after that to buy a TV.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Elaine, my last post was exactly ONE MINUTE after you posted! Thanks for responding. Maybe the smart tv thing will be something.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Questions. If I already have WiFi (or will when I set it up), and I have internet and I have Hulu, does that mean I can watch Hulu on my TV? without needing cable?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:52 pm

If you have a laptop, you can plug it directly into your TV with a HDMI cable and whatever shows up on the laptop will then appear on the TV screen. You might consider a TV antenna to bring in local shows for free. If you are located in a spot that is near a tower, this is a very economical alternative to cable.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2478213,00.asp
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Tituba,

Thanks for responding.

I do not have a laptop. That is an "investment" I plan to make later this year. I tried an antenna, but because of the way the apartment complex is set up, it blocks reception. I returned the antenna.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

Our cable provider is Comcast. I'm happy with them. The receiver box started to malfunction after about ten years and then died completely. I exchanged it at the Comcast in the next town for a new box the next day. It was easier than I expected.

Comcast has about forty stations that are music only. You'd listen to the music using your TV's speakers. So when choosing a TV, be sure to listen to it, too, to make sure it sounds good to you. Maybe you can find one with a headphone jack -- I don't think that's a standard feature. In your case it might be a nice option.

HD is high definition. I think all new TVs are HD-ready these days. There's an extra monthly charge to get the HD signal from the cable company. It's great for watching hockey, especially games outside of the NHL where the camera is panned out. That tiny puck can be hard to see otherwise. Not that I watch hockey much these days. ;)
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

A bit more about music....

When I was single, I didn't have cable. But then I saw an advertisement about cable's "DMX music system". It was a special box that you plug your stereo into. It decoded the cable signal and delivered 40 genre stations. The special remote had a two-line alpha-numeric display that would show you the song title and artist (or composer) at the press of a button. It was the most awesome thing. And I actually had only that service, and not the TV part, much to the disgust of the cable company.

After I got married, I had to add the TV part, if you understand my meaning. After a while the DMX service was discontinued. My wife and I were very dismayed. Radio just wasn't the same. And the channels offered through the TV box were less interesting, and there was no special remote that displayed the title / artist. I suppose you had to look at the TV to see that info. And I couldn't listen to it through my stereo without installing a special switch and wiring that my wife wouldn't be able to figure out how to use anyway.

Eventually we got a accustomed to listening exclusively to CDs with the DVD player hooked into the stereo. I have a huge CD collection, but most of the CDs we listen to are borrowed from the library.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Questions. If I already have WiFi (or will when I set it up), and I have internet and I have Hulu, does that mean I can watch Hulu on my TV? without needing cable?

https://www.lifewire.com/watch-hulu-on-your-tv-3486665
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:25 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Comcast has about forty stations that are music only.

Hi SquarePeg,

Are they listed as music? In the list I read there wasn't anything about music. How are they listed? What is it called? What would I be looking for?

So, HD means extra..........what? image? brighter more detailed image?

I don't care as much about the visuals as I do about the music. Plus, the stuff I watch are either classic films, which have people standing around talking, or things like a symphony orchestra where the only thing that moves are the violin bows. I guess I wouldn't want HD.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion