Need advice about cable TV

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Need advice about cable TV

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

SquarePeg, I'm glad you're learning from this thread!

I was looking at Comcast installation. It says $90 or DYI $15, which supposedly takes 2 hours.

15 years ago (last time I had cable) you plugged one end of a cable into the wall and the other into the TV. Why would it take me two hours to install it myself? What's involved?

SquarePeg, tell me about Pandora. What is it and why do you like it? How does it work and what would I need to use it?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Comcast generally ships you the modem and you install it yourself. They charge you for the modem, but since you do it yourself, should not charge you. Certainly not $90.

You get the modem, you connect it to the wall and then connect the TV. If you do have a Roku box, you plug an Ethernet cable into the modem and put it into the Roku. You then connect Roku to the TV with a HDMI cable.

Did you look at the list of available programs on Hulu? I don't think you are using Hulu to its full capacity as it has many, many channels (including news), plus original programming.

Pandora is a channel you get using the Roku. You search for the musical artist you want and the music then plays thru your TV.

You can use your computer while it is playing thru your TV.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Tituba wrote:Did you look at the list of available programs on Hulu? I don't think you are using Hulu to its full capacity as it has many, many channels (including news), plus original programming.

I did double check yesterday to see if there is anything I'm missing on Hulu. No. I'm using everything I like. My tastes are.......not mainstream I guess you could say.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Tituba wrote:Comcast generally ships you the modem and you install it yourself. They charge you for the modem, but since you do it yourself, should not charge you. Certainly not $90.

You get the modem, you connect it to the wall and then connect the TV. If you do have a Roku box, you plug an Ethernet cable into the modem and put it into the Roku. You then connect Roku to the TV with a HDMI cable.

That sounds pretty simple to do. That's what I did 15 years ago. It took about 5 minutes, not 2 hours. Maybe they say 2 hours because they think you have to connect something to the outside. Since I'm in an apartment it should be simple. I guess I should never say something is "simple" when I don't know. When I had my landline set up here, there was some big deal about something not being connected outside and it took a really long time for the guy to get everything working properly. I don't remember what the problem was. It was 3 years ago.

I could get the modem and try setting it up myself and if for some reason it doesn't work I suppose I could have them "install" it, whatever that means.

Maybe the $15 charge is just for the modem.

What's an HDMI cable?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:12 pm

SquarePeg, since you have Comcast I have some questions. I want to listen to music while I'm working, take a break, watch 10 minutes of a TV show, switch back to music and work again, then take another break and watch the next part of the TV show. Someone mentioned that I should be able to do this with Comcast because I would have "On demand" plus I could fast forward, rewind, pause, etc. on any show I'm watching. And that I can "tape" shows by scheduling them to be taped when they come on. Is this true? Do you do all that with Comcast?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Pandora allows you to create your own genre stations that are based on a song or an artist. For example, suppose you really like the song "Blue Suede Shoes." You'd first search for it. If it finds it, you could select it as a "seed" to base a station on. Pandora would play songs that are similar. Each time it plays a song, you have the option of rating it thumbs up or thumbs down. By rating songs, you gradually create the ideal station.

There are also predefined genres to choose from.

Pandora uses an Internet connection. It runs in a web browser on a desktop/laptop. It is also available as an app.

HTTP://WWW.Pandora.com
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:24 pm

I don't use the on demand feature at all. I treat cable as if it were broadcast TV. Frankly if I had the ability to pause a show, probably it would stay paused for several hours or days, or I might forget about entirely.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:30 pm

An HDMI cable is similar to a USB cable if you can imagine one with identical connectors on each end. The HDMI connector is a bit larger than a USB connector and it's slightly D-shaped as opposed to rectangular, looking at it head on. It can deliver both audio and video.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 am

SquarePeg wrote:Frankly if I had the ability to pause a show...
Does that mean that Comcast DOES NOT OFFER THE ABILITY TO PAUSE A SHOW?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am

No I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that I don't know.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am

SquarePeg wrote:No I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that I don't know.

Thanks.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

You should call Comcast to find out your alternatives with pausing live TV and how long it will pause for.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Tituba wrote:You should call Comcast to find out your alternatives with pausing live TV and how long it will pause for.

Good idea.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Pandora allows you to create your own genre stations that are based on a song or an artist. For example, suppose you really like the song "Blue Suede Shoes." You'd first search for it. If it finds it, you could select it as a "seed" to base a station on. Pandora would play songs that are similar. Each time it plays a song, you have the option of rating it thumbs up or thumbs down. By rating songs, you gradually create the ideal station.

There are also predefined genres to choose from.

Pandora uses an Internet connection. It runs in a web browser on a desktop/laptop. It is also available as an app.

HTTP://WWW.Pandora.com

I took a quick look. Seems really cool. If I have a Smart TV does that mean I could listen to this on my TV and use my remote to click on what I want to listen to?
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I went to the Smart TV lecture recently and I will share what I learned there. More stuff in addition to what has been shared here so far.

Right now I'm going to go back through this thread and focus specifically on getting the music that I want and to be able to learn about different composers, etc.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion