Need advice about cable TV

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Need advice about cable TV

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:32 pm

RE: Music.

I don't want to have to listen to my CD's. I hate having to select and choose and put them in and out. I loved having the genre just give me something and I got to learn about the composer. Radio stations are not the same. I like being able to learn about what I'm listening to. Plus, I wanted to be able to switch back and forth from the music listening to watching something. I really need to have this help me work.

I'm really not liking the idea of having to pay $50 a month for TV cable that doesn't even have the 3 stations I want most.

The smart TV class on January 25th listing said bring your questions. I'm definitely going to ask about music. From now until then, I'll keep trying to face the Googling. God, I hate being online. It's so overwhelming.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 pm

SquarePeg wrote:
inspiresuccess wrote:Questions. If I already have WiFi (or will when I set it up), and I have internet and I have Hulu, does that mean I can watch Hulu on my TV? without needing cable?

https://www.lifewire.com/watch-hulu-on-your-tv-3486665

OMG. They used the word "simply". None of this is simple. I have no idea what they are talking about. Thanks for the link. I'll go back and try to read slowly to understand better. Most of the time I don't think Hulu is worth the 8 bucks I pay for it. There are only about 3 shows that I watch on it.

God, I feel like I'm being so whiny here.

Did I sound like I was totally losing my mind when I was writing earlier? Because I was. I thought maybe I should delete some of it. I'm walking on very thin emotional ice right now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:39 am

If you really don't care about watching TV and only want music, I wouldn't pay for a TV subscription nor buy a TV. It is expensive. If what you really want is music, then having the wifi, you can connect to Hulu or use the free apps.

What are you using now? Are you posting with a tablet or your phone? There are free music apps you can download to a phone or a tablet and listen to music (Pandora, Slacker, Spotify). You just need wifi and the phone/tablet or laptop. You don't have to have a TV nor a cable subscription to do this. You can pick up the Kindle Fire Tablet for only $50 (instead of paying $50 per month for cable).

As for watching TV, you also don't need a TV nor a cable subscription. If you have wifi and either a tablet or laptop, you can watch TV from the internet by going to the station (cbs, nbc) etc or using Hulu. You can use headphones and not have to worry about surround sound.

I'd encourage you to think about what you really want before going out and buying a TV or signing up with a cable provider. You perhaps already have what you need with wi fi and just need to get a tablet and download some apps.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Tituba,

It's good to see you posting regularly again. I've missed you here on the boards.

I've lived below the poverty line for 14 years. I don't have a laptop, tablet, smart phone, stereo or TV. I have a tiny 1 CD player and some CD's. I have a very old desktop computer with a 15" monitor. I have Hulu for $8 per month. I have a landline telephone for $8 per month. My computer is in an unheated, non-AC room with a hardback chair. Very uncomfortable circumstances to watch anything. I don't know anything about "apps".

As far as music goes, I want BOTH TV and music. I work sitting in a recliner. I can't work and have a laptop or tablet in my lap. Having a TV in a warm room with the option of listening to music while I look down at my work and then take a break to look up and watch part of a TV show would help me work better. Both would be operated with a remote. The system of TV and a remote would be better for my work needs. As least I think so. Since I don't have any of the above mentioned things I don't know how they would work for my needs.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 am

What about TiVo? Does anyone have it? Is it expensive? I did a quick google and it said you can watch DVDs with it. I was planning on buying a DVD player to go with the TV. What I know about TV from Google is that it records programs. That would allow me to do what I want with work --- listen to TV, switch to a TV program for 10 minutes, then back to work and music. That process would work with a recorded program. But I get the impression that TiVo is expensive. I guess you buy the TiVo thing and then you have to pay some monthly fee to use it?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:18 am

Tituba wrote:I'd encourage you to think about what you really want before going out and buying a TV or signing up with a cable provider. You perhaps already have what you need with wi fi and just need to get a tablet and download some apps.

Yes, that's why I'm asking all the questions here and trying to Google as much as I can tolerate. Since I'm not familiar with "new" things like tablets, laptops, etc. I want to be careful about just doing what I did in the past -- TV and DVD/CD player and TV cable.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 am

Tivo is expensive and I wouldn't recommend it for what you need. Tivo is used when you want to record TV shows to watch later.

I have wi-fi but do not have a TV subscription. What I have is a TV that has a built in DVD player. I have a computer that I've connected directly to a Roku box. This Roku is connected to my TV.

I can watch DVD on the TV using the built in player. The Roku allows me to stream Hulu to the TV. Hulu has Pandora, which is a music channel

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-1080P-Co ... r+built+in

Roku
https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express/dp/ ... words=roku

Many times, I'll turn on the TV, go to Hulu, pick Pandora and stream music. You can do this and continue to work on your computer. Both the TV and Roku have remotes.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 am

Tituba wrote:... a TV that has a built in DVD player.
I didn't know that. I'll definitely add that to my list of TV buying requirements.

The reason I was thinking of TiVo is what I want to do is watch 10 minutes of a show, then go back to working and music. If I have regular TV cable I'd have to watch an entire show at one time.

If something is "streaming" that means that I would also have to watch an entire show at one time, right?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 am

Roku sounds really interesting. Could you tell me more about it? I read the link you showed. I'll do more Google searching about it later.

It doesn't look like "Smart TVs" are much or any more expensive than regular TVs. I'll be taking that little class about Smart TV's at the end of the month. I should get more info about that, assuming I can get into the class (I'm on the waiting list).
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am

No. You watch a show on Hulu. At any time, you stop it and then click resume when you want to continue. You can even restart an episode.

When I decided to give up cable, I looked at smart TVs, but figured out I could accomplish the same thing by getting a TV with a DVD player, a Roku box and a subscription to Hulu for alot less money.

I gave up my cable subscription two years ago and have been able to get what I need thru Hulu. I did this because I my cable bill got close to $200 a month and I didn't have any premium channels. I wasn't watching 2/3 of them and it was a waste.

I only pay for wifi, Hulu and CBS Access (only because I like many of the CBS shows). I watch them all thru the Roku box. You can accomplish what you need way cheaper than signing up for cable again.

I would suggest you get a TV with a DVD player and a Roku box. Try it out and if you find you need more TV than Hulu provides, then purchase a cable subscription.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:00 am

Roku is a little box that connects to your internet modem with a cable. It then connects directly to the back of the TV. You don't pay a subscription etc. It is a one time charge for the Roku. It then looks like a smart TV on the screen. Choices of channels (example: PBS, Hulu, Pandora).
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 am

Tituba wrote: You watch a show on Hulu. At any time, you stop it and then click resume when you want to continue. You can even restart an episode.

That's what I do now online. I like that I can watch 20 minutes then stop, then watch the rest later. My problem with Hulu is that it only has about 3 shows that I watch. I want more to watch than what I get on Hulu.

I also like to go to MSNBC, skim the articles, pick one and read and that's it. I don't have to watch entire news shows. Could I do that with Roku?

I like your suggestion of buying a TV with a DVD player and a Roku box. It might be a good place to start and then if it's not enough, order cable. The cable I'm planning on ordering is $45 per month for one year and then it goes up. I don't know yet what it goes up to after 1 year. I plan on asking before I would order it. Why was your cable $200?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:16 am

What does "streaming" mean? Does that just mean it comes from the internet?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 am

Yes, streaming means it is coming thru the use of your wifi.

I had phone, cable and wifi with Comcast and they kept raising the rates after the first year. It was absurd to pay that much.

I now just subscribe to Comcast wifi, Hulu and CBS All Access. I also have Amazon Prime so can stream TV and movies. I don't use it much for that. However, Amazon prime also has music for free for Prime members.

Here is a listing of the channels on Hulu

https://www.allstreamingsites.com/hulu- ... -networks/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm learning a lot here, too, Tituba! I'd never heard of Roku.

I love Pandora and I highly recommend it.

Just a correction ... Streaming in general refers to listening / watching audio / video delivered through the Internet. WiFi is not required -- an Ethernet cable-connected device can be used.

For completeness, we should mention satellite radio such as Sirius XM. I don't know much about it, but I don't think it would be good for this situation.

So here's a question: suppose you'd like to listen to, say, a new age Pandora station while watching Weather Channel. Would that be possible with Roku?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion