Enthusiastic

Time sensitive announcements and any discussion that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Enthusiastic

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: I am impressed by the people from other countries who so well in a non-native language. In the United States we are spoiled because so many people speak English that we don't have to try very hard.

Hi Elaine,
The case is same for all the native speakers, unless they take their language seriously.Here, though they study our native tongue Tamil, for 12 or 10 years in school, they take it for granted. if you read a passage written in Tamil by a normal native student, who happen to speak and hear the language everywhere, there can be a lot of mistakes.
Once I happened to see a letter in Tamil by the Tamil Department Head of Paris University[he was a French man] in the autobiography of a great Tamil scholar. I was dumbstruck. Oh my God! :shock: Such a fluency and scholarship! I am a native ;I live in Tamilnadu from my childhood and I am well versed in Tamil classics. But I can't write such a beautiful Tamil prose.
It happens such!
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat May 25, 2019 10:57 am

Speaking of writing well, I just noticed that I missed a word in my last post, and it's in my native tongue. I don't judge other's writing, so I shouldn't judge my own.

Yes, some people have a way of making their words beautiful. I'm glad you found such wonderful prose from the Tamil department head at the Paris University. He must be quite a wise person. And I'm glad that you noticed the beauty.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 am

Oh God! I didn't mean it that way. Actually I saw the word 'speak' is missing only after you pointed it out. Our fingers can't match the speed of our mind, so mistakes and left outs are natural and here we are not writing our examinations, just expressing our thoughts.
Please don't take it that I judged you and I didn't.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion