Driving Test

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Driving Test

Postby carlfish » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:00 pm

Hi my name is Carl, I`m going to take my driving test for the third and final time in the state of West Virgina. I never had to drive before coming from NY but have found it very hard not to be able to drive here. The first test I never even got to pull out of the parking spot because the guy doing test asked me to put the high beams on. The funny thing is I knew every part and every button in the car put for the life of me I couldn`t figure it out. Well the first question was the last for that test. Heck I would have failed me also for not being able to turn them on. The next week I went back and to my dismay it was the same guy that tested me the first time and didn`t seem like it was on the up and up anymore. I had a very very bad feeling about the test but I knew I had the skill and knew everything there is to know to pass. Well everything seemed to be fine I did everything this guy as and I did it right and then he said Sir did you see that stop sign back there? I said yes because I had made a total stop at it and had my blinker on then he said you went through it. I did stop and it wasn`t a rolling stop I was before the stop sign and then it dawned on me I wasn`t going to pass not because of making a mistake but because of whom I am and I haven`t dealt with that in years. So when I`m walking back to the DMV building my sister inlaw is sitting outside and I walk up and tell her what happened she couldn`t understand that herself because she was sitting right there watching everything I did which I didn`t know she was doing. Well I`m going to a different DMV this tuesday it my last chance or I have to start all over again but know I will pass but am now freaking out can anyone give me tips on how to get passed this feeling about not being good enough and have this thing about the person is really holding mylife in there hands . Help Help Help
carlfish
New User
New User

Postby MDG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:17 am

Welcome to Barbara's bulletin boards, Carl. I don't have the exact solution to your problem, but perhaps I can give you a story that happened to me a few days ago. We live in a mobile home park on a hill rising over a lake, among mountains. We've been here twenty years, so the trees we planted in 1983 are very tall. New neighbors moved in a few months ago. Their house is closer to the ground than ours, and the Pyramid Cedars on their side of the property tower over their house even more than over ours. The new owner thought he'd like to flatten the tops and lower the height of these cedars, including the row of nine between the two houses, on our side of the property line. The man talked to me about it, saying he thought a couple or three feet off the tops would be appropriate. Since he would pay to have it done professionally, I more or less agreed. When he later spoke to my husband, the number of feet rose to four. I was working in the yard when the man who was to do the work drove up. He was accompanied by his quiet wife. Very officiously, this man from the tree-care company told me he had our neighbor's order to cut our tree-hedge down to five feet high from the ground! Very put out, I gasped and wondered aloud what he was trying to pull off! I am normally quite a 'nice' neighbor, but I was not quite so nice now. I was really annoyed, though I didn't quite tell the lot of them to go to the hot place in a handbasket. Thank goodness! On reflection, there were a number of issues at work in the incident. The neighbor was upping the number of feet off the top, to suit his hope that the trees would be much shorter. (His wife won't let him cut down the big cherry tree at the back. I don't blame her. It's one of the few fruit trees hardy against the super-bugs produced by DDT years ago in this orchard valley.) The tree-care man read the order wrongly. He had been asked to cut five feet off the TOPS - NOT to five feet from the GROUND! And, on thinking it over, I saw that the tree-care man had a problem in talking to women. (Maybe in talking to everyone.) Our new neighbor was still feeling his way with us, as new neighbors do, and maybe testing the amount of 'authority' my husband's decisions had over my choices. Me? I was reacting, and over-reacting, to everyone, as well as the rising numbers, whichever direction they took. It was a comedy of misunderstanding. Except that feathers were ruffled, all around. Anyway, the new neighbor came over to return the gardening book I'd lent him, and made certain to speak up on how the tree-care man had mis-read the order. I countered that I was alarmed at the rising numbers. Then, lady-like, I let fly the deciding blow... ..."Be careful," I told him, "in cutting all your Pyramid Cedars. The mid-summer sun is scalding. We are all just beginning to enjoy the shade we get from these trees." I also mentioned that we hoped to turn our yard into an organic garden, if there was enough cooling shade. Since he would like to share in the work and produce of this garden, he began to rethink his position on the tree-cutting. More than that, the actual tree-pruner man came and worked his magic with all the fruit trees. But, he didn't touch any of the tall, narrow Pyramid Cedars! I may be wrong, but I am hoping the more experienced tree-pruner explained the importance of tree height to my neighbor. The importance of the woman's point-of-view will have to wait for another day, I am afraid. I am very glad my husband thinks women are fine designers, too. I can only guess the source of your license problem, Carl. I doubt you like it very much, but your post shows you understand it. You could ask your friends in the area how they get around it, of course, but you may prefer to dust off your coping skills to deal with the problem that you "...haven`t dealt with...in years." A new DMV office may be helpful. But, in any case, you know you have a variety of options. Your feelings are, as with everyone, the most difficult part, of any situation, to manage. Does it help to know that every time a person copes with a problem, the problem becomes less in the world? It really does, you know. As I talked to my husband, during the couple of days our 'tree' problem took to play out, I knew that he wished very much that I wouldn't react so severely to these mens' difficulty talking to women. My husband was right, of course. I am fortunate in being married to a man who has a beautiful balance in his attitude toward females. This is a gift I have never had before, and it is far more valuable than the so-called 'satisfaction' of putting the intolerant in their place. Good neighborly relationships are also more valuable than that so-called 'satisfaction'. (My husband has always been proud that neighbors like him very much.) Too, our neighbor offered to help us with our garden, share it, which is super because my husband is a strong 80-year-old, and I am 66. Our days of digging and bending are growing shorter. I know your frustration must be great. Has it lessened since you first posted? Hang in there, Carl. Solutions do exist, though they may not always appear when we hope. "They are not prompt." I've forgotten who said that, but it has been a fine motto for me to remember. Another, that became the motto for my life, was given to me by an older Chinese lady, 43 years ago..."There is always a way." Hope some of this helps. All my best, Mahara [This message has been edited by MDG (edited March 29, 2004).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby carlfish » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:07 pm

Mahara, Thank you so much your story really did help in away. It made me have to think Image but I was still freaking out anyway(LOL) I went this morning for the test and went to a different place because I felt I wasn`t being treated like a person and guess what I found out ? I wasn`t (LOL) I took my road test with a very nice women and did what she asked like I did the first time for the guy and what do you know? I passed Image But thank you so much for taking the time to write me it really did help and maybe I`ll have to stop seeing the world with rose colored glasses Image But sometimes thats hard with nice people that will write you to help you out are out there. Your a peach take care of you.
carlfish
New User
New User

Postby MDG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:28 am

Carl, They say, "Turnabout is fair play", don't they? Well, your kind words helped me today. Image I was feeling kind of low at something that happened today - someone reacted a bit crossly to me, when I had thought she would be pleased instead. You cheered me up again. Many thanks. That's the wisdom in Barbara's work. If you haven't already, take a look at www.wishcraft.com &/or www.shersuccessteams.com You'll enjoy them both. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby carlfish » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:08 pm

Hey Mahara, So glad to hear that I made your day a little brighter. I haven`t really got a chance as of yet to get to the websites that you posted for me but plan on doing so in the very near future. My Karma seems to have taken an up swing which I`ve been waiting for so things seem to really be looking up on this end. Just being able to get out and do what I want when I want really helps coming from a place were I could just get on a bus or train to go and do thing to going to the sticks and not being able to get around was really hard on me cause I`ve always been a people person and didn`t have the chance to even see that many people. I was a bartender and came to West Virgina to be a nanny so you can see that it is two very different worlds. But my time here is going to end in Sept so then I`ll go back to New York State which the truth is I can`t wait I really like being in a big city with lots of people and thing to do. Well I have to run cause it is Spring Break for the kids and I just got online to get my e-mail. Hope you are doing well
carlfish
New User
New User

Re: Driving Test

Postby Verstag6 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

Given driving test few months ago but failed. Now have joined Port Macquarie Driving School for driving lessons. They are known for their awesome way of teaching. It was recommended to me by my sister who also leaned driving from here and is a very good driver now.
Verstag6
New User
New User

Re: Driving Test

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi, Verstag,

I'll have to take a driving test next January, and I'm nervous about it.

Wellcome. do you have a wish?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links