Skateboarding

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Skateboarding

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 am

Does anyone know anything about skateboarding? My character is a nineteen-year-old skateboarder with no survival instincts. I'm looking for skateboarding terms and the names of dare devil stunts as well as phrases that such a character might say. Please let me know if it's okay to use any longish phrases that you give me. I'm assuming that short phrases are okay for me to use.

Thanks.

And, if you're a skateboarder, happy skateboarding and stay safe.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Skateboarding

Postby JennKenn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't know anything about skateboarding, but perhaps viewing some YouTube videos by and about skateboarders will help you get some of the lingo!
JennKenn
New User
New User

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:29 pm

I've looked at several sites that have the terminology, and this one seems the most comprehensive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ding_terms

I agree with JennKenn's idea of watching videos, and might add watching a movie or two about skateboarding.

If this is for performance, reading some skateboarding-related scripts will you help get the action descriptions clearer and tighter.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks all.

I'm finding a few phrases, but it'll take a while before I get this where I want it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 am

I was going to suggest that you visit a skateboard park to pick up the lingo. But then I remembered that the last time I was there, no one spoke at all. It was totally silent except for the rolling sounds, the occasional scraping of a board on a rail, the chattering of an out-of-control skateboard.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

"Rolling sounds, occasional scraping of a board on a rail, the chattering of an out-of-control skateboard" is really good writing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links