Experience crowdfunding?

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Experience crowdfunding?

Postby elarue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am

I don't know if this is the correct place to post, but does anyone have any experience running a successful crowdfunding campaign?

And to make matters more interesting, let me throw in a little monkey wrench - I don't have a Facebook account, and due to some personal circumstances, I can't have one at the present time. So there's no way to promote my campaign to friends and family that way. Plus I suspect that the success of the campaign will depend on getting it in front of the eyes of people I don't know.

Thanks for the help! :-)
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Experience crowdfunding?

Postby k8k8 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 am

No experience sorry
but am also interested and have contributed to a bunch.

What is your funding for?

Can you not create social media / facebook accounts for that project or organisation rather than for you personally?

If you can get into the platforms email newsletter that helps a lot i imagine - i have contributed to several after seeing them in there. How you get in - I'm not sure. One way seems to be by being unique.
k8k8
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby elarue » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:16 am

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking of crowdfunding for a couple different things. Firstly, I'm looking at building the music studio I posted in the Wishes forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26306. But I'm also thinking a little bigger. I'm interested in creating a video game, which I would compose the music for using the aforementioned music equipment. For the former, it'd probably need to be a goFundMe campaign, while the latter could be a Kickstarter or an IndieGogo, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the latter because I don't know what sorts of rewards or incentives to offer yet. I still need to come up with a plan. There's also Patreon, but I'd need to sustain my efforts over a long term to get recurring subscribers.

As for Facebook, my situation prevents me from being on Facebook at all, whether it be as myself, representing the project, using a pen name, etc.

But I suppose that doesn't stop people who believe in what I'm up to to promote the campaigns on their Facebook pages. ;-)
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm

I'd probably get something like https://www.amazon.com/Crowdfunding-Bas ... or+dummies from the library (if available) or a used copy online.

I really don't know enough about it. As suggested, a Facebook account for the project rather than yourself, would allow you to friend all your same friends and get the word out.

Twitter too.

Good luck.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Needs and Links