Flu remedies

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Flu remedies

Postby Lost1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:52 am

I started coughing a lot on Monday. Yesterday I felt like I was on death's door. SOOOOOOOOOOOO sick! :( Today I'm a bit better but am still coughing, have a sore throat, etc. I'd really like not to be sick on Thanksgiving. I know there's a slim chance that I can get rid of this bug altogether in one day, but I'm desperate. Any suggestions for getting better fast? I'm taking zinc lozenges, drinking a lot of tea, juices, water, etc. Sleeping a lot. Taking Advil every now & then. What else can I do? Thanks, guys.
Motivated, but running out of steam (& inspiration). :?
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sgoldie » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:00 pm

Can you get apple cider there? Stay in bed and keep warm. Sweating will help rid your body of the toxins. Hope you feel better.
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Gawd...

Postby Lost1 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:11 am

I got so sick today I went to the emergency room. They said I had a 103 temperature. Jeeezzz... :roll: :shock: I was going to take my elderly friend to a hotel restaurant for dinner tomorrow. I called her, when I got home (to let her know I can't go). All she said was \"call the hotel and cancel the reservation.\" Nice to have friends who are so concerned about me. :roll: Happy Thanksgiving? Yeah, right.
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

A HA

Postby Lost1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:26 pm

I figured out why I was SOOOO sick on Wednesday -- it wasn't just the flu. I had food poisoning. Jeeezzz... :roll: Needless to say, Thanksgiving passed me by. Sigh.
Lost1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby AthenaCat42 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you were so sick and missed Thanksgiving!! That sucks!! I know this is late for Thanksgiving and not helpful at all for food poisoning, but I thought it might be helpful to other people looking for cold/flu help. I started this regimen 4 years ago and have found it extremely effective for colds & flus - I never take over the counter stuff anymore. I feel much better when I take these than when I take the traditional medicines. Also, where I'm more mildly sick maybe 3-5 days, people around me are more miserably sick 3 weeks and more. I put this together from the book "Smart Medicine for Healthier Living; A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Adults" by Janet Zand, LAc, OMD, Allan N. Spreen, MD, CNC, and James B. LaValle, RPh, ND. It's a great medical reference book. Below represents what I do, however the authors suggest additional/ alternate vitamins, herbs & etc. such as Boneset & Sage for congestion, or a Lavender bath for irritability. Be sure to do just the doses indicated. Some, like Vitamin C, you can take often, others, like Yin Qiao or Zinc, you need to be careful about how much you take and how long you take it. (This is a little hard to read, but if you copy the text, paste it into Word, then go to Tables, Convert Text to Table, and choose Separate Text at Commas, it's much easier to follow. If anyone is interested, I have it as an Excel spreadsheet, set up to make it easy to track when you took what.) Type, Item, Description, Helps, Dose, Unit (May vary), Qty/Day, # Days Nutritional Supplements: L-lysine, Amino Acid, Antiviral, 500 mg, 1, 3-4, up to 7 Pantothenic Acid, (vitamin), Adrenal function, 250 mg, 1, 3, up to 7 Vitamin C & bioflavinoids *, Vitamin, Anti-inflammitory & help ease the course of cold, 500-1000 mg, 2, 1 / hr, 1st 8 hrs Vitamin C & bioflavinoids *, Vitamin, Anti-inflammitory & help ease the course of cold, 1000 mg, 2, 3, up to 3 Herbal Treatments: Yin Qiao **, Botanical Formula, Not specified, not specified, 4, 3, Up to 10 Chammomile Tea, Botanical Formula, Rest & Relaxation, 1 cup, 2, 2, as needed Echinacea (250 – 500 mg) & Goldenseal (150 – 300 mg), not specified, Anti-inflammitory & stimulates immune system & antibacterial & antiviral, 1 dose, 1, 3, 5-7 Elderberry, Vegetable, Severity & Duration, 500 mg, 2, 3, unspecified Garlic, Vegetable, Antibacterial & detoxify, 500 mg (1 clove), 1, 3-4, up to 7 Zinc Lozenges, , , , 1, every 4h, up to 7 Spirulina, (not for cold/flu, just for general health), , 2, 3, 3 * Vitamin C & bioflavinoids - take equal amounts of Vitamin C & bioflavinoids. May cause loose stools; take largest amount you can tolerate if so. ** Best taken at the first sign of cold/flu and for the next 48 hours. Usually not helpful after the third day.
AthenaCat42
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Flu remedies

Postby Tituba » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 am

I have not had the flu in 27 years. From October thru May, everday I take 1,000mg of Lysine. It is amazing how it keeps the flu at bay. Every now and then a head cold, but not one flu since taking the vitamin. You can get it in the vitamin section.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Flu remedies

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm

There is a theory that the reason the flu appears in the late fall and winter is due to the reduced sun exposure we all experience. The sun is our best source of vitamin D. If you are prone to catching flu and you'd rather avoid it, supplement with 5000IU D3 during winter.

Pick from any of these search results to read more.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links