Great Hair????

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Great Hair????

Postby Cassandra » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 pm

I've never been able to do my own hair well. I watch the person who cuts it blow dry it and try and copy what they do, but that's futile! ; ). I've googled some hair sites to try and bring me up to speed, but thought I'd post to see if anyone has any advice on the best way to get my hair looking good as often as possible, shampoos, products, technicques...?
Cassandra
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

hair

Postby Tricky Grama » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Cassandra- I think we need to know your approximate age or the 'affect' you are trying for. Personally, if I have the stylist 'do' my hair, 9 times out of 10 I have to come home & re-do it. So I've learned to get a cut at the end of the day & just go home & save some $$$ also. If it is a straight look you're going for, that's easy, just brush & blow dry til it's straight enough. I would imagine it's not that simple! Maybe the trick is to keep experimenting til you are able to achieve something that you can live with. I had someone put moouse in my hair & it fell strait & ugly in an hour. Then I tried 'progaine foam' & did it myself & it has never looked better. I guess what I'm trying to say is, my hair frustrates me too. Give us a few hints, I bet someone can direct you towards what you are trying to get. Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.
Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Great Hair

Postby Cassandra » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks Patty, I'm in my mid thirties. I find it always looks best when it's a few days unwashed, but then I feel dirty! ; ). I would love it to look good after a blow dry, but unless I spend ten hours on it I can't acheive the results I want. I know I must be doing something wrong.
Cassandra
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby pedalfaster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 am

Is it possible you have the wrong hairstyle? I mean, if you want "wash and wear" hair, you need to speak up and tell your stylist that. In my experience, hair works best when it's left as close to it's natural state as possible. In other words, if you hair is fine and straight, trying for a style you noticed on an actress with thick and curly hair just won't work.
pedalfaster
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

great hair

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:52 am

good advice. I know I've always been fighting my wavy hair to make it straight. It's a struggle! ; ).
Cassandra
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KarenC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:53 am

I have naturally curly hair and I am about to break down and use one of those hair straighteners. Karen
Helping Women Live an Empowered and Inspired Life - Infinite Women Helping You Enjoy A Life Of Health, Wealth And Success... Naturally! - Activate Abundance
KarenC
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

great hair

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:37 am

are you getting it "chemically straightened" or are you just going to buy a straigtening iron?
Cassandra
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KarenC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:42 am

I would love to get it chemically done, but my hair is so damaged now that it wouldn't be a good idea. I was thinking of getting an iron and hope that it won't cause too much more damage. Karen
Helping Women Live an Empowered and Inspired Life - Infinite Women Helping You Enjoy A Life Of Health, Wealth And Success... Naturally! - Activate Abundance
KarenC
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

great hair

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:59 pm

I've never had mine "chemically" straigntened although have considered it. If yours is damaged it's probably a good idea not to do that. I have a straightening iron, but I use it sparingly. Get a "ceramic" one. Get a quality one. When I "iron" my hair I will not wash it for 2 or three days after so I don't have to keep ironing it. It comes out nice.
Cassandra
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sybilizedliving » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:10 pm

There is also an ionic straightening iron now that don't cause as much hair damage as the heat factor is less. Had mine straighted with one last year and although expensive (think the device was over $200), the straightening lasted for a couple days. Having said that....I was not born with the hair fixing gene and about 8 years ago I simply gave up and now let my hair call the shots (at least where my hair is concerned!). I have curly hair and I keep in cut a little longer than shoulder length. It sure saves time and anguish. Good luck Kris
sybilizedliving
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:11 pm

This article may help. This website is a favourite of mine - thousands of great articles on subjects that will be of interest to B.Sher forum readers. http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Hairstyle ... &id=105184
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kazbah » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:27 am

i know this probably doesn't help, but there are people who pay great money to have the body and curl you guys get naturally!! lol having said that, a good cut should enhance and work with your curl, not cause you problems afterwards. i think a key part is finding the right stylist who understands your hair ..... and product is a wonderful thing. my hair would look like shit if i didn't use product in it every day. oh and the dirty hair thing - totally works for me too!! first day i can't do anything much with it - hair is too slippery and clean! then it starts getting better. i am convinced we over wash our hair - and most hairdressers will tell you the same thing. if it isn't washed everyday, that is fine! washing it so often strips the natural oils, gives you a dry scalp and brittle hair ... and ironically, makes it less manageable. i usually wash about every four days, and dampen it in the shower every morning in between. :) kazbah
kazbah
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MDG » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 am

Hiya, Kaz! Good to see you! Cassandra, excellent topic...and particularly timely for me. I'm experimenting with fine clay as a substitute 'shampoo'. Pascalite is a rare and particularly fine form of bentonite, which is used both internally and externally. These and other fine clays have great qualities, including the ability to absorb oils. I put less than a teaspoonful in one palm, and add drops of warm water to make a slurry; then I work it into wet hair. This doesn't lather worth a darn. But I let it sit until my shower is nearly over, then thoroughly rinse it out. (I'm going to experiment with leaving it in for, say, an hour or more. Even if it dries I think it will still be easy to rinse out, in the meantime absorbing oil and pollutants.) Then I use a bit of leave-in organic conditioner, for a setting lotion. The three times I've tried this, my hair turned out thicker, with more body, and it seems to require less frequent cleaning. Pascalite is found in only one spot in the world. When it's gone, it's gone. But many other fine clays exist worldwide. I think I'll save my bottle for medicinal use, and try some of these others. How did original peoples clean their hair? And people who can't/don't use commercial shampoos today? I think detergent type shampoos take too much from the hair and scalp, especially so-called 'baby-shampoos'. Anyway, so far so good. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:04 pm

Oh man, I SWEAR the next time I go to the hairdresser I'm going to take the hair dryer from her and show her what I'm doing so she can then help me figure it out as well! My hair is Irish (think Nicole Kidman). Yet, I want it straight (like Julianne Moore). We always want what we don't have. That's why there is such things as highlights and straightening irons :) I saw this stand that holds the hair dryer in place so you can use both hands to \"spin\" the hairbrush. Yeah, right \"spin.\" Last time I tried that I got it so knotted. I did find a couple of products that seem to work real well at making it straighter. That Japanese straighting is expensive ($500 around here) and it grows out.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:20 pm

I can't believe all you people with curly hair want something else! I've got the fine, straight, Scandinavian variety and I wish they'd put something for us in the ethnic hair care section! :x Anyhow, mine is an endless search for BODY!! Can't stand the junk that leaves residue in hair, or backcombing. My current solution is an OTC instant conditioner. I'm not sure if it adds body or just snarls it up, but it's better than nothing. I use the honey to caramel blond variety; I love the coloring effects from the brunette kind, but they must use a different formula because it makes my hair limp (other have said the same). It seems like they know that lighter hair would need body, whereas darker hair tends to have it already. I have a bunch of colors, including 10-25% silver and white, so the blonding stuff tends to bring that out more than I'd like it to. My best hairstyle is a wedge cut, but I have absolutely never been able to find a stylist who gives consistently good haircuts. So I stick to a nape length blunt cut that can't be f....d up too badly. This cut allows me to wear it down or up, depending on hot flashes. :roll: I actually happened on sort of a style by just fluffing up what little natural wave I do have, then spraying it with the industrial strength stuff. It stays as long as I don't comb it, which I once did at a conference and found afterward it had gone completely straight. :oops:
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Needs and Links