Great Hair????

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Tituba » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:31 pm

I can't believe all you people with curly hair want something else!
A long time ago a friend of mine (from India) were in an elevator together. She has this stick-straight, jet black hair. I said "man, if I come back to another life, I want to look like you." She laughed and said, "I always wanted your skin and hair." Then we both started laughing and realized we always devalue what we have and want something else.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby anuka » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am

Hi everyone, First suggestion for wavy/curly haired people- if you haven't already, check out \"www.naturallycurly.com\". Lots of advice, forums etc. I too have very curly hair and have finally found a system that works for me- it's for the entire range of wavy to curly hair and assumes that you WANT to have/show your curls. Check out the book \"Curly Girl\" by Lorraine Massey. She advocates treating your curly hair like a fine textile- stop using shampoo. I'm not kidding. There's a specific massaging/cleaning method that uses conditioner, or she also makes a couple products called \"No Poo\" and \"Low Poo\" (I know you're laughing...) that are specifically for cleaning curly hair with no/low soap content. And since I happen to live in New York City I'm also able to go to her salon for curly-specific cuts- the first time in my life I LOVE my hair. Definitely New York prices, but I only have to go once or twice a year since they cut specifically following the curl pattern of your hair. The salon website is http://www.devachansalon.com. You can buy her products over the internet if interested (I think you have to call), otherwise you can use any conditioner you like (silicone-free) and she includes recipes for making your own. Yes it sounds bizarre, but I've now been using this method for two years and the condition of my hair has changed, the curls have improved, and I can much more easily make it look good. It does require either air drying (ideal, but I rarely have the time,) or a diffuser for the hair dryer- OR the bizarre but interesting \"pile the treated curls loosely on top of your head and pin them there and wear them to bed\" method... (works best for curly up-do's). God this sounds like a commercial- I swear it's not. After a lifetime of \"frizzhead\" I'm so happy to find something that works for me. Good luck!
anuka
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:15 pm

I find it always looks best when it's a few days unwashed, but then I feel dirty! ; ).
Sounds like it looks better with more oils in it. That would also cause it to hang straighter, because oil adds weight. Have you experimented with a bunch of different conditioners, especially those marked intense moisture and the like?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby coachholli » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 am

I'm a curly-Q as well and agree that you should get a style that works with the naturalness of your hair. I use hair products to tame my hair and have a great hairdresser who does a good cut. I also use a diffuser to boost my curls a little and it seems to help keep the volume down.
coachholli
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Marian » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:29 am

I'm one of those people who would LUV to have some natural curl - even a little wave? My hair is straight, fine and almost no body. I have to wash it every day or it hangs really close to my head, like wet hair. I used to go to hair stylists at various chains who would always tell me my hair was limp, lifeless, needed a lot of product or a permanent. Then I tried my friend's stylist. He works at a day spa and charges more, but he was worth it. He started by pointing out the positive attributes of my hair, even before he'd started working on it! We also talked about a cut that would work based on how much time I would spend styling it, which is no time at all. If you're subconscious about your hair, I would definitely recommend finding a skilled stylist who will talk with you about what you want, and give you a cut that flatters your hair's natural texture.
Marian
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 am

I think I've finally found a cure for my frizzy hair. When it is hot and humid, it is a struggle as it is naturally curly and I (of course) want it straight. I've actually been looking at the T3 iron (costs $200). I have tried a ton of products. Stuff that hairdresser swears will work etc. I've spent so much money. The other day I bought Bed Head. Figured I might as well. It works! Sure the packaging looks like a fluorescent pink penis, but I gotta tell you, my hair has never behaved this way outside a salon appointment.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:01 am

Tituba wrote:The other day I bought Bed Head.
Are there more than one product in this line? Which one did you use? I'd like to try it--my hair has an alternate identity in the summertime. More than ten years ago I bought a straightening iron but never used it; it's still in the box. Now I see floods of them on the market. I was looking at one flat iron online last month. The Sedu. I think it is made by manufacturer of the one that you are considering. There were pages and pages of positive reviews. Apparently even extremely kinky hair comes out sleek and straight whenever the Sedu is used. Have you seen this model? Let me know which Bed Head product so that I can give it a try. Thanks.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:44 am

Happy dance! I purchased the Conair Wet/Dry straightening iron ($40). There is a straightening iron for $200 but I thought I'd give the cheaper one a shot. I used it on dry hair yesterday. Woke up this morning and my hair is still straight! Yes! The only time that happens is after I've been to a salon. We are having 95/humid weather now. I'm so happy I finally found something that works. I have naturally curly hair and this time of year is the worst. http://www.conair.com/straight-wettodry ... p-360.html Bed Head is sold in most department and drug stores as well as salons. I used the \"control freak\", straightening conditioner in the shower and used \"after party smoothing creme\" before blow drying. Go to drugstore.com and search on bed head.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Tituba wrote:Happy dance! I purchased the Conair Wet/Dry straightening iron ($40). ... I used it on dry hair yesterday. Woke up this morning and my hair is still straight! Yes!
Thanks for the Bed Head product info and also the flat iron link. This looks like a very good price! Did you buy this model mainly for the wet/dry feature? I've been wondering how that would work and I was a little concerned that something that was hot enough to produce steam would be too hot on my scalp. Ouch! I admit I've become very unambitious with my hair: I tend to shampoo and comb hair up into a ponytail holder and let it "air dry." I never learned to use a blow dryer. But I have committed myself to a better look this coming fall so I am researching now. If you use this utensil to dry your hair, please let me know how that works out.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:23 pm

I haven't done the wet to dry yet. My hair is thick and I tend to get lazy. They sell Bed Head at Kmart, Walgrens, CVS etc. so you should be able to pick it up. I got the wet to dry feature as that is the same feature the expensive T3 units have and I wanted to try it out. If one more perky hair stylist tells me that my hair is "easy to blow dry, you just have to roll the brush...." I swear I'm going to slap her. Hairdressers can blow it straight and shiny and it stays that way for days. Not us mortals.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

hot brush?

Postby Jaydee » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I guess I will throw in here...I use a large barrel hot brush, and it works well. Ideally, you dry the hair pretty thoroughly first; otherwise your work is futile and the result short lived. I find this a lot easier than trying to hold two arms in the air forever, each of them trying to do a different thing--behind my head yet. jaydee
Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:49 am

Very timely discussion - the stylist I have used for 15+ years is in semi-retirement, so I can never catch him. The local community college has a cosmetology school, so I've gone there a couple of times. It has been very interesting to hear what the instructors say as the student is cutting my hair. I've learned a lot. (My hair is very fine and very straight.) If you're willing to risk having a novice take scissors to your hair :lol: you might even learn blow drying tips from the instructor. I wonder if salons ever consider offering \"home hair care\" classes to their clients?
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Great Hair????

Postby Tituba » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:16 am

Ah ha! Those MIT folks have had a breakthru http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion ... z_fighter/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Great Hair????

Postby DJCNOR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 am

I'm one of those with curly hair. Let me confirm that making sure not to overwash help tremendously. Don't use shampoo every time. No more than once a week, even less. Use conditioner instead. I've never tried the clay, but it sounds interesting too.I also use Friz-Ease or some such, because I like shine, but I hear that the matt look is in lately. And for those days when your hair isn't acting right, a tiny amount of Secret Agent will do the trick every time. I learned most of these things from a forum of ex-pats from here and there in Britain, where it's damp so much of the time, and folks who had curly hair and weren't used to it were going crazy. DJCNOR
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Needs and Links