Getting Everything to fit in a Micro House

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Getting Everything to fit in a Micro House

Post by Jaydee »

Hello, All, I moved about a year ago into a very small house....the only thing I could find that interested me at the time, and I had to get moved as I had sold my house. I intended to build an addition and that did not happen. It was a most trying year and extremely stressful. My adrenals were shot and I am recovering that. I still have not built and am not good at this sort of survival tactic of talking with contractors and screening over and over. I wanted to give up and just move, but...decided to try again. Have an idea for a small bedroom to add onto the house and will renew efforts to bring this together. In fact, will write more on this topic later. For now, the issue is that I need help locating the best ideas for storage--well, not storage only but just micro sized everything. I have scoured a lot of material on the web. Much of it is repetitious. How many containers do ya need for heaven's sake? Truly creative ideas were hard to come by, and then it seems necessary to simplify those. One of the better places was the IKEA site; I liked a futon there but their shipping was 3 times the cost of the item. Anyhoo, if you had an experience with this and know something about cramming a lot into a small space (have down sized a lot already, sold stuff, and gave some away) I would sure like to hear from you. I have concluded that I cannot go smaller right now and will have to have a little room added and that is that. I want to move on with my life if I can recollect what it was and cease with this preoccupation of what to do with the house and how to do it. I think I am an artist, but my spirit is suffering just now from a moderate crushing. Thank you for your kindness, Jaydee www.judithrush.com

EagleEyes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Getting Everything to fit in a Micro House

Post by EagleEyes »

oh I sure feel for you. I live in 600 sq ft in this house. Good for you getting rid of things. Even if you think you can't, try getting rid of more. I've found that in 15 years in this place, I keep finding stuff that makes me say 'Now WHY did I not toss this out sooner!?' Think backwards: if your place was to burn down --God Forbid-- what would you go out and purchase again? I really can't see myself going all the way to the store to buy back a computer book I needed 5 years ago for a program that doesn't exist anymore. Give away or Sell old clothes on eBay and use the Paypal proceeds to buy clothes on eBay or Etsy.com. Never have unused clothes in closet, in other words. Storage: Shelves that go up the wall help us, but even then, if you don't use the item regularly, get rid of it. It will just clog up your walls. Photo Albums and beloved crafts are all I keep on shelves now. Baskets on the shelves hold the sewing kit, the jewelry making stuff. One basket per subject. Have your bills be sent electronically so you don't need big overstuffed files to hold that paperwork. Hope this helps! I've been cleaning out files this week and TOTALLY in the mood to clean out my life further.
Colorado Creations: Real Paper Greeting Cards http://www.EagleEyesDesign.com Fan Page for Latest Greeting Card Designs http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado- ... 776?ref=ts

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

Good to hear from you. It helps to be encouraged, and I know darn well there are more things to divest myself of. You are right. We are little hoarders here in this world. That said, I hasten to add that you have half again the space that I have in my 400 sf home. Even if I add the bedroom, that would give an additional 148 sf for a total of 548 sf. I have heard of homes which are very tiny. One was 96 sf. Some people can live in such a small space. It depends a lot on what sort of climate surrounds us. When we have clement weather and our living spills out into the garden and onto the porch or the patio, it is considerably different. I live in Iowa, where the Winters are brutal and the summers are humid, so I stay in a lot. In fact, I am seeking a quiet cool cabin to stay in and spill out of in the North near Michigan or MN if anyone knows of such a place that is not too pricey or mosquito infested for a week in the summer. Also, at different times in our lives we are suited to different environments. I lived for ten yrs. in a small apt. which had no bedroom at all, but it had a veranda, and I LOVED THAT VERANDA! It made me see far beyond my enclosed space. I felt enlarged much by it. When I left there and went to my former house, I cried the first night cuz I felt drowned in it and wanted to go home. Now, after being there 10 yrs., I "needed" about another 500 sf and got instead 500 less than that. It is a transition. As my brother commented the other day, if I were a felon just getting out of prison, this would be a paradise!! There is a reason for everything, and I have to remind myself that God has a plan for our lives. That being the case, he has a reason for allowing me to live here also, and time will tell. Write some more! Thank you. Jaydee p.s. I once saw some cool one piece shelves that were light weight and were on tension poles, so you could have floor to ceiling shelves without ever hanging a shelf or driving a nail. Ever see those anywhere? Let me know. Thanks.

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

EagleEyes wrote:Think backwards: if your place was to burn down --God Forbid-- what would you go out and purchase again? I really can't see myself going all the way to the store to buy back a computer book I needed 5 years ago for a program that doesn't exist anymore.
Good point, something to think about.
Jaydee wrote:I lived for ten yrs. in a small apt. which had no bedroom at all, but it had a veranda, and I LOVED THAT VERANDA! It made me see far beyond my enclosed space. I felt enlarged much by it. When I left there and went to my former house, I cried the first night cuz I felt drowned in it and wanted to go home.
I know the feeling. I stayed in Hawaii for two weeks with my brother in his apartment back in 2000 and slept in their living room right next to the balcony. The window was always open with the nice breeze and wide open feeling (it was on 7th floor). I could see the Honolulu lights at night. When I got back home I felt really closed in and claustrophobic. I really did have a slight sense of panic and even depression. That passed after a few days, but I still remember that feeling of the balcony in Hawaii.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

EagleEyes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by EagleEyes »

Jaydee wrote:p.s. I once saw some cool one piece shelves that were light weight and were on tension poles, so you could have floor to ceiling shelves without ever hanging a shelf or driving a nail. Ever see those anywhere? Let me know. Thanks.
I had one once and it was fine and very handy. But After we took it down and replaced with wood shelves though, I realized I hated it. I've got to have natural materials, sigh. The vibrations and feel of wood is very good for us physically aware artistic types. The light pine shelf was inexpensive at Target, and just folded into a shelf with all pieces. My guy attached the shelf flush to the ceiling. Really feels better and I use it all the time. I'm trading website creation for the help of a handy man this month. (my guy is too busy these days.) If you have a service to trade, maybe someone good at attaching shelves would be available. 400 sq feet! Yep, that is tough. No two ways about it. My neighbor has had a place that small for 50 years. But they do have a yard. Having a place to look out at nature and open air is a huge deal. I couldn't be happy without it either. Perhaps this purging will help you to move easier in the future to something with a veranda. Oh, and I LOVED our cotton futon until it got hard over the years. It makes my body go numb. But no money to replace. A comedian joked that he'd pass a place called Futon World; a world that got harder and harder as time went by. BEST WISHES!!!
Colorado Creations: Real Paper Greeting Cards http://www.EagleEyesDesign.com Fan Page for Latest Greeting Card Designs http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado- ... 776?ref=ts

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

That passed after a few days, but I still remember that feeling of the balcony in Hawaii. YES!!

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

I have no personal experience (serious clutter problem), but I do recall seeing a series of shows--I think on HGTV--about small spaces. Perhaps you can find some articles and stories on their site? I also know there are several books that show great storage ideas that can be found at Border's (and I assume other stores). I look thru them all the timel. Wishful thinking. Good luck with the purging and storing.

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

Thank you. I spent a lot of time looking at the site (HGTV) you suggested. I sure wish I had an advisor or organization designer. Sounds wonderful. They make everything look so great. My attempts are a little more trial and error. Jaydee

KatieW
New Poster
New Poster

Post by KatieW »

Think of it as starting over - a new chapter in your life. I've wrigged up shelves of every type and made them fit the area ... someone's castaway entertainment center was a lifesaving kitchen-cabinet / alternate counter system. An old buffet helped once when I had no closet space for hats and gloves - more, it housed my phone, phonebooks, bills, and kitchen linens. I've used one LR wall as a dining area and arranged furniture open to it but separate for a LR area. Outfitting depends on budget, abilities, and what's available - but even milkcrates - though not beautiful - create a lot of mileage [img]:wink:[/img] The key is to commit to find multiple-use items that fit you, not someone's idea of how you should use each space, and also to commit to devoting your best timeframe on a regular basis as a time to be social with your belongings. Be willing to fill a corner as you create space somewhere else, just like the organizers do to people's front yards on TV (horrors) ... and decide on each item one at a time after you've outfitted the space just emptied. Finally, be willing to stop, as I'm going to do now with one final thought ... I know it sounds weird, but this type of creativity is what really helps the emotions of downsizing to the extent you have. Consider it a challenge that only a scanner could possibly meet, and enjoy [img]:D[/img] - Katie

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

Katie said: Be willing to fill a corner as you create space somewhere else, just like the organizers do to people's front yards on TV (horrors) ... and decide on each item one at a time after you've outfitted the space just emptied. To be honest, I did not understand what that meant. Here is an update: I sold my couch, dresser, chest of drawers, frig., and wt. bench. I stored a couple of items in the garage. I advertised a couple of things on freecycle. I sold a few on Craigslist. I have no bedroom furniture now--just a twin bed. I hung a clothes rod, which has a doubler hung on it, so there are two levels of hangers. I hung all the tee shirts too, cuz they had to go somewhere. I put up a shelf with plastic boxes for lingerie, jewelry, sox, and jamies that were taking up 4 drawers. I did not need 60 percent of it. My two drawer file serves as the night stand with a little dealie bob built on top to give it two top surfaces, so kleenex, clock, flashlight, water, etc. can all sit there. Some winter weather stuff went up to the attic. Shoes were thinned and hung on a wall in pockets. I made a concession and put my elliptical machine in the bedroom too, cuz it is so important to my health. This bedroom is 7 x 9, so you can appreciate what I did. (The bed is at the back on the seven foot wall..barely fit there.) I bought an ivory wingback recliner and a black swivel recliner with footstool and a glass table to put between them. That is it. I bought these on Craigslist. This configuration with t.v. occupies the center of the main room, with a drop leaf table, book case from floor to ceiling and one chair sit at one end and my computer desk and shelves above it are at the other end. I had so many doo dads with no place to sit that I eliminated all but the white, off white and clear glass stuff which is bunched over the fireplace and on a small wall shelf. It made an impact. My criteria was that it was comfortable and still had some impact. I did not want visitors to feel sorry for me. I wanted them to feel they entered a nice classy space and that the owner liked it this way. Now the kitchen--I have to build myself an undersized base cabinet and drop a gas cooktop into it, so that I can get back to normal. Well, no, that is not right. I will not ever be returning to where I was. It is gone. All the king's horses cldnt put it back together again either. This is my normal, my new adventure. I am planning to abide for at least a year from now. Meanwhile I am planning a trip to Mexico in Feb. and March if I like it. So I have that to plan for and look forward to. That has made me put some limits on this house arranging puzzlement play/struggle. I want to be my artist self again. I want to promote my website, and I want to work on my Spanish and see some relatives. I feel like I dropped outa society for a year, and it is high time I got back my life. I was devastated by this move for several months; then I organized like mad for Christmas. Then I was a mess again. Now it is August and I will not give more than a month to the rest of this stuff. I drew the line. I decided not to build any addition apart from a tiny porch at the door, especially for the winter snowy weather. I hated tracking right into the living room last year. God has a purpose for me, and I am still trying to figure out what happened and what I was/am supposed to learn, but I will and I did. Thanks, All, for listening. jaydee

KatieW
New Poster
New Poster

Post by KatieW »

What I meant by filling a corner as you create space somewhere else is basically what you have already done. You had to pull out everything to create the shelves and hanging spaces and it had to fill up another space until it could be sorted back into a new place. You've also already begun that new chapter and, from the sound of it, you are creating what you need - and making both a practical and an elegant impact. Small-space innovation is a lucrative field, by the way :D - Katie

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

Lucrative, you say? I am sure it is, but how do u market yourself?? I think the greatest need is to help others keep their sanity and keep believing that with effort, time will work things out. Earlier you said: I know it sounds weird, but this type of creativity is what really helps the emotions of downsizing to the extent you have. That is the only thing that saved me I think. I felt utterly impotent when I could not engage a contractor and get him to call me back or could not find one with reasonable prices. :bash: It was crushing to my spirit until I remembered that it is God who opens and closes doors. I always ask him for guidance; if the door will not open, I think the message is clear. We have to be persistent of course, but we also have to know when to stop. It took me a year. I don't quit easily. See ya later! jaydee http://www.judithrush.com

Latarra
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Latarra »

http://www.flylady.net is a good place to go for downsizing, if you need any more. For best use of little space, check out motor homes and small pleasure boats. Seriously, these two types of vehicles have to maximize their space amazingly. As for how to make your experience lucrative for you - I see you have a website. You can put up your story along with pictures and offer to do it for others for a fee. "You don't need an expensive contractor to give you more space. I can give you the space you already own at a fraction of the price."

Jaydee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Jaydee »

You have a great idea there, altho I am not so sure that having survived the experience of downsizing one time truly qualifies me to solve others' problems in the area. On the other hand, if someone applied to me for assistance, I would have a great deal to say to them. Hmmm. You may have something there. Wish I had kept a list of every website I have visited in this connection. gads. Thank you for the offering. It is much appreciated. That said I need to put a tiny porch on the front and I wonder if you know an architect type on the forum. ANYONE? Thanks again! Jaydee http://www.judithrush.com Got any ideas for a new name for this website? I would use it as a domain name to send others to the website. I realize now what I did not once upon a time--that many more will come to the site thru keywords such as photo, fine art photo, and photography. Give me a new name here, Someone!? :) Thank you.

Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Moonracer »

Following your lead: Finer Photography? Finest Photography??