W: Write article that brings in coaching clients O: need Q's

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W: Write article that brings in coaching clients O: need Q's

Postby ideamim » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 pm

I've been coaching for 13 years and want to reposition myself as the go-to person for career, resume and interview coaching. I'm working on an article for a new women's mag and will also use the article to start a newsletter. The newsletter will link to the website I haven't built yet -- so this is my Rube Goldberg idea for success! Would you ask me some questions to get me going, especially about career concerns? I promise to give you great advice, and really appreciate the help. Some ideas so far: Practical Bragging/Bragging with Grace Be Prepared - 10 Ways to Survive in an Unpredictable Economy How to Make Sure Your Next Job is the One You Really Want 7 Great Ideas for Hiding Your Wires Thanks so much, Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: W: Write article that brings in coaching clients O: need Q's

Postby guinnessue » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:41 pm

overqualified, underqualified, outdated, and starting again I have a BA in French and history - not exactly something that is in high demand. I have an international MBA that I have used as life was hell-on-wheels just as I finished the degree and for too many years afterward. I was in IT for many years but, after being out of the field for a time, I no longer have the latest-and-greatest qualifications (IT moves so fast. (Mind you, I can write an endless loop and test programs with the best of them, but I can't do it in whatever people are looking for today, so my ability to use programming logic and constructs - constants in IT, I would think - doesn't count. I went into sales, just to keep alive. I did find a technical writing position, but it wasn't a great fit and I had shoulder surgery that required a 7-week can't-really-use-my-arm recovery period, so they keep me. My last job, which I left in November, was as an administrative assistant/office manager for a small company, not really in line with any of my talents, interests, and skills. Massively overqualified. I've started working on an associate's degree in medical records. I enjoy my classes and think I'd really like working in the field. I've trying to find a job in a medical office or hospital, but I either never hear back from applications, or get the form "Thank you for your interest...we have found someone more suitable... Underqualified and in that glorious place where I can't get a job because I don't have experience and can't get experience because I can't get a job. Re-reading this, I sound rather more pathetic than I really am, but I thought the topic might be interesting and I told my story to give an idea of how these things can hit someone. Sue
guinnessue
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Moonracer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi: Considering the economy and the way people are losing their jobs, I think something that helps those who are downsized might be a hot topic right now. Maybe something about how to dust off your resume' and brush up on your interview skills. If aimed after that particular crowd you might have some more interest than usual. Good luck.
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W: Write article that brings in coaching clients O: need

Postby ScamFreeSuccess » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:53 pm

It's been many years for some since they've had to write a resume. Maybe something along the lines of how to modernize your resume...

Shelley
http://www.ThinkThisForward.com
Last edited by ScamFreeSuccess on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where will you be one year from now? www.ThinkThisForward.com
ScamFreeSuccess
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Bestlifenow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 pm

I heard that over 75% of people do not like their jobs. That was several months ago given the economy that figure may have went down. I think that focusing on How to Make Sure Your Next Job is the One You Really Want This is a really great subject. I would be curious to know any great ways to get the inside scoop on what is like to work for an employer you are thinking about working for. Also tips for including key questions during the interview process that help you get a sense of working in the company you are applying for would be helpful. Mishel www.fromfear2life.com
Bestlifenow
New Poster
New Poster

Postby ideamim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:50 am

Thank you all so much for replying to my request. Moonracer and ScamFreeSuccess, I appreciate your feedback about dusting off or modernizing resumes as a hot topic. I agree, and will do some work on that. BestLifeNow, I've gotten started on writing articles about identifying and finding the work you want. It's the topic closest to my heart and in some ways the riskiest. I've helped a number of people figure out what they wanted to do, and also haven't helped a few. It's a little bit like helping someone find their way through a maze. Sue, I have a few ideas for you. If you really want to work in Medical Records in a hospital, how about volunteering at a hospital doing the closest thing to what you want that you can find? While you're there, try to network your way to someone the records people respect and trust - a senior administrator, perhaps? Then make the case for how your background and interests make you an ideal fit. When an employer says you're overqualified, the problem is not having too much experience per se, it's more likely a fear that you will leave when something better comes along. It might help to stress how interested you are in medical work and have been trying to transition into a hospital. You may have a better shot if they think you'll look for a promotion rather than a job elsewhere. Another venue could be temp work. Hospitals use lots of temps, and temp agencies don't care if you're overqualified only that you can do the job. Getting hired permanently once you're there is much easier than going straight for the job. Good luck, and thank you for offering your story to help my business. I hope I've helped yours. Best, Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Needs and Links