help, I need a legal question answered for free!

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

help, I need a legal question answered for free!

Postby mango » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi, My husband and I bought a separation agreement template from a legal firm, filled it out ourselves, got it notarized, and filed it with the county clerk this summer. Is that what is considered a 'separate maintenance decree'? This is for tax purposes. I'm going to be in deep %^$& if we have to file 'married filing jointly' or 'married filing separately'. If it is the same as a separate maintenance decree, we can file however we want. Do you know a lawyer who owes you a favor? We're in NC. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to any kind soul who can help.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: help, I need a legal question answered for free!

Postby merk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:08 pm

You might want to try contacting H&R Block or something along those lines. I dont know if they'll answer the question for free, but it'll probably be relatively cheap. They might answer it free just hoping you'll give them business of letting them do your tax returns.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby urbanpioneer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm

You need a real lawyer ASAP in your state. Your lawyer is not going to cost you money, he's going to save you thousands. Get on it without delay.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:21 pm

I've used http://www.justanswer.com/ and found them very helpful - you decide what to pay them - i think i paid $15 for some advice that reassured me i was on the right side of the law in a small claims court dispute. You email them your question, they have a legal expert email you an answer - and if it isn't sufficient, you can continue the econversation with them till you are satisfied.
Laurie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Needs and Links