Mac Air connect to internet problem

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Mac Air connect to internet problem

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 pm

So I'm in L.A. and I brought my Mac Air with the built-in webcam so my 96 year old mom can see my son and grandson in Greece and talk to them like I do almost every day. She's really eager to have that happen and I'm only here for about 5 days, so I'd really like to make it happen. But...I can't stay wirelessly connected to the internet long enough to download Skype and set it up (to say nothing of the fact that I need to go on the internet for all the rest of this project. At this moment I'm writing on the computer I bought my Mom, a windows desktop thingie with no webcam. My airport is looking for a link, I find only one that's not locked, it works but only for a short time, then it disappears. My brother, who lives upstairs and has the router, is in Hawaii but we talked and he doesn't know why his connection requires a password. Tomorrow I will probably go to an electronics store to buy some kind of hookup that will allow my computer to do a wire network with my Mom's computer (not easy with a Mac Air, since it's stingy with any input ports - but it has one regular USB so anything's possible, right?) Before I make that attempt I was wondering if: 1) anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about, 2) anyone knows a site on the internet which would hook me up with someone else who is familiar with this issue. Of course, I can also buy a little webcam and try to connect it to her desktop and (who can say?) that might work if nothing unforeseen happens, as is not unlikely (but not guaranteed) in the complex world of computers. Still, if I can solve the MacAir problem I would like that.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Mac Air connect to internet problem

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:47 am

How is her desktop connected to the internet now? If it is connected directly to the internet, then you need a router. If, however, you are sharing the connection using the router upstairs, (cable going from router upstairs, thru to desktop downstairs) then you need the password - or reset the router to wipe out the settings. The wireless connection that you should be connecting to is the one upstairs. When you see & connect to ones that are unlocked in the neighborhood, it will be unstable at best. The connection setup on the router most likely has a password for security. If your brother wasn't the one to setup the router, he should contact who did set it up for the password. Neither you nor your mother will be able to connect to this router without the password (or someone manually resetting the router to wipe out security (not recommended). Here's how http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1450
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 am

Well, my mother is connected to the router upstairs, actually, which is how I'm writing you at this miraculous moment!My brother (whose router it is) says he doesn't know or remember it. Gave me a few passwords to try, but they didn't do the trick. I have a call in to his son (who probably set it up for him) but he hasn't called back yet. Thanks for reminding me to ask him for the router password. I wouldn't have thought of that.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah, it's amazing the people who are "locked out" of their own routers. My parent's neighbors were going to let me use theirs, but God help them if they could get a hold of "the son" who set it up for them. I never did get in, but it was nice of them to offer.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:32 pm

As a tech, I not only write the router info down for them, I also tape it to the bottom of the router. Makes life easier.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MinniePauz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:35 am

Barbara, did you get the problem resolved? :) I hope so! I love the idea that you're getting your mother hooked up on the webcam! I have a son and his family who live in Dallas and I'm in Michigan, so the webcam is a lifesaver! Especially since the two youngest grandchildren would not remember me if not for the camera. I can't tell you how cool it's been to watch them open their presents on Christmas morning!
MinniePauz
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 am

No, while I was in L.A. the connection to the internet was sporadic and short-lived, so I just got an inexpensive webcam, attached it to my mom's computer, and she's been talking with everyone on camera for 5 days now. She loves it! I'm back in NY and talked to her yesterday on camera. (She still says "I miss you," however. When I said "I'm right here, you're looking at me," she said, "I know, but it's different." :-) I consider it a great success all the same.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:24 pm

I think it's brilliant that your mom's on the internet Barbara. I'm trying to persuade my dad to get connected but he says his books have all the info he wants, (he used to be a librarian so he has lots of them), and he's too old to change his ways. So I'm going to tell him about your mom because she's older than him. Well at least I can call him cheaply from Slovakia with Skype out credit.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ideamim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:26 pm

You've probably handled this by now, but if you still need help the folks at AppleCare know their stuff. I just called the other day about a connectivity problem and they helped me find my embedded password and change it, and all is working well.
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Needs and Links