Need sewing machine or barter to make money

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Need sewing machine or barter to make money

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:51 am

:-) Excellent. And the feeling is entirely mutual. Now come over to Twitter and search for #ideaparty and just say hello. Thursday's the big day, but someone's always around. (Probably me.) You can help someone else come up with a good idea and that will keep your brain all polished and ready to go.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Did join Twitter...I'm not a really very computer savvy...I'm working on that one..so only partially figured out how to use it. Had to go up to my 'broken' house and mow the lawn while the weather was cool (an acre of land)..Serendipity was with me, before Hurricane Charley hit myhouse I was working on starting a business--had a mini-business plan, lots of ideas on structure/goals/philosophy stuff like that, had applied for a LLC, also had sent for EIN number....after the Hurricane I somehow misplaced the EIN number--not surprising as almost all my paperwork blew out of the house--..I've been searching for my EIN number for years, even on line,with no luck, tonight reached my hand into a kitchen drawer, pulled out the prototype for my business card, there on the back was the EIN number. HOORAY!! Funny me, I had lots of research done on how to start a business...the only thing I never came up with was what, exactly, the business would do....I only had a basic direction...."Fun, is my business"...while mowing the lawn (good thinking time) I think I've come up with a workable idea...it feels right...at least it puts a big smile on my face...now I have to decide how to put this into place.... I still like the old business card prototype, it's simple, pretty, but needs a logo---how does one go about getting a logo?? We've strayed from the topic of sewing machine wishes...I wonder if Autumn River ever did get her sewing machine??? She hasn't posted anything about it.
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 pm

I PM'd her recently to tell her that she should respond to her post to say she's still with us. None of us like throwing good advice and encouragement into a black hole.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Autumn River » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Thank you for asking about what has been going on in my life, and for the loving support here. I have been out of work for a year, and not functioning at all well. About 2 months ago, I was called about a job, and even if it wasn't what I wanted, but I new the shop owner, and he was a dear friend, so I agreed. A few weeks later, I found a job on criagslist, and again, not perfect, but, it is an hour driving time, but more in my liking of work,it is commercial custom sewing, making awnings,boat covers, etc. Meanwhile I found another add on craigslist for a new gallery that was looking for work to be displayed, and I submitted( emailed) some jpgs and was accepted! Imagine, at 56 years old, having my first gallery opening! It is the 20th of June at the Galleria Vivace here in Stafford Springs Ct. All are welcome, if you are in the area, from 4-8PM !!! The down side, is the drive to New London every day..I have to work an extra day to pay fo the gas, but thank God, it kept me able to keep making car payments, when all my other creditors had given up.AND..affords me the cash to get all the artwork framed thats been in portfolios.
Autumn River
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Autumn River » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Bye the way, Yes, I did get the machine..I found it on craigslist, like everything else, it seems, and it allowed me to get some work redoing a small Pub.That gave me the money to pay off a few overdue months of car payments, the rest is history. I am sorry I haven't been here. I dont communicte well when feeling like I have been, and since I have been back to work, I have been so tired , I don't get on the computer.But..the sewing machine is idle right now, no other work has come my way. I have adds on craigslist and facebook, I don't really understand twitter, and haven't the kind of time to be texting or emailing back and forth the way it seems they do on there??? Maybe you can tell me more anbout how it works, and I would try it it! Love to all, Marge
Autumn River
New Poster
New Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Congratulations on the art gallery opening. You sound like a very talented person. Keep looking for more ways to market your art. At 56 you are not old...gosh, I'm 56 too..and I'm certainly not old!!!...so you can't be either. (after all I spent all day today at a water park going down the slides with the kids)..I had an aunt who took up art/painting after she was 65 y/o...she did well...was very talented. I don't know if she ever had a gallery opening, but she had her artwork displayed in various restraunts for sale and sold many. Despite the drive the job sounds like it's in the field where you want to be. Maybe it's a 'gaining experience/learning experience/networking' opportunity. My last job required lots of driving...my solution..I (eventually) got a car that gets 30 miles to the gallon...another soluton is to figure out how to take some of your car expenses off your taxes..If you're a business owner (even part-time) then car expenses, at least some of them become tax deductable. Also cell phone, business phone, computer can become tax deductable. There are various books out on that to give you ideas. Does this place you work at have the kind of sewing machines that you want?? Maybe you could purchase a used one from them?? Maybe they have some contacts that might want to sell one. Also you could make this job a learning experience in many ways...keep your eyes and ears open..how do they market? Which suppliers do they use..develop a relationship with them..maybe once you're ready to go on your own they'd like to sell to you too?? Learn everything you can about every aspect of the business end of things...you seem to have making the product down pat...but to go on your own you need to know about the buisness end too. Find a mentor, if possible. It is very hard to be out of a job for a long leriod of time. It's a big blow to your psyche. Take care of yourself emotionally. (and spiritually) you have a responsibility to yourself to do that. Reading lots of positive thinking stuff, talking to friends and family about your feelings, being in support groups---that's with an s---more than one--can help too. Professional help, if needed, if you can afford it may help too. Be kind to yourself, you're doing the best you can. Kudos!! Glad to hear you have some positives going on. sallypz (moxie me)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:51 am

Autumn River, Marge, my mom's name!! How nice. I'm 'Twitterpated' too...I joined but could figure out only some of it...I'll have my daughter, my Autumn, explain it to me when I see her soon. The only reason I have time right now is I'm out of a job too...Lost my job at end of Jan this year...took something of a 'Sabbatical' to 'get my head together' and find my direction, a life-course correction. And I was exhausted and possibly near a breakdown from the stresses associated with the job. I knew months before that I should just quit that job, but it was a steady paycheck, and I could (at east when I first started working there) correlate the hours with my 10 y/o'd's school schedule...both important things...and I've been home redecorating my condo...& getting ready to move up north near Chgo......tearing out capeting, putting in tile floors, painting the walls (I have cathedral ceilings so the walls go up about 12-15 ft over my head)....and at age 56, with the Fla. heat (no air, no money for it) I need frequent breaks...sitting at the computer helps. As above now that I've alluded that I've found something for myself that I'd like to get into as a business, the stomach butterflys have set in....actually felt something more like prehistoric pteradctyls flying around inside me.....I was up most of that night thinking, worrying, scared, etc....Now I need to go back to Barbaras book and figure this thing out....is it possible I'm afraid of success??? of failure??? both??? is that even possible???...etc....etc...etc...setting all the worry & doubt aside for a moment....in the meantime to continue researching my idea, marketing ideas, is this idea actually a viable business (I know it is ,but how??) and how to start a business, internet options, etc..reapply for a LLC when I get to Illinois. I know I'll probably have to work and do this part time, at least at first, because I have bills to pay and a family(s) to support..... sallypz (Moxie Me)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Needs and Links