Hello; seeking website advertising revenue numbers!

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Hello; seeking website advertising revenue numbers!

Postby inspired » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 am

what I need seems really simple but it's really hard to get. I need to know how much $ start-up websites make -- in the areas of food, environment, and maybe film. This $ will be made primarily from Google Adsense and merchant affiliate ads -- for instance, if one has an amazon insignia on one's site one gets a certain percentage when people buy a book. Of course, it depends on the website -- but I need some hard nos -- this website made this, that made that . . first-yr website owners made an avg. of X dollars, rec'd X dollars in advertising, etc. Basically, I am seeking funding and have to show that I can make $500 - $700 on a website -- not necess @ the beg., but in a year. Any input welcome! Thanks!
inspired
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Hello; seeking website advertising revenue numbers!

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 am

inspired wrote: Basically, I am seeking funding and have to show that I can make $500 - $700 on a website -- not necess @ the beg., but in a year. Any input welcome! Thanks!
Are you seeking funding to start an Internet business? The kind of business you described can be started with two $20 bills, or if one is very frugal one $20 bill. There is plenty of free information online for beginning a small business like this. There is no need to buy anything to get started. If this is what you are planning, do all the free things first: the free books and free video tutorials, etc. Head over to the Warrior Forum and/or do The 30 Day Challenge. Read, read, read and ask questions on the forums. Isolation is the dream killer. P.S. Compute in terms of $ per day, 365 days per year. In your case $25 per day = $9,125 ($750 month) This translates roughly to selling one or two Clickbank products a day or around $600 (depends on product and your level) Amazon sales per day. Just my two cents again but spending lots of money for PPC can wipe you out without stealth software and lots of experience in the business (and you can read and interpret Google Analytics backwards, forwards and upside down. LOL) There has been one "Google slap" after another and large bank is required to operate at those margins and run with the big boys. Starting small is a good thing. Hope this helps. You may pm me if you wish. I'm not selling anything but I am a big Barbara Sher fan and I'm very much in favor of using free and alternate means of getting what you want. Also I don't want to overwhelm with free stuff. I keep a large resource library of everything...
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:23 pm

There's two basic things you need to know before you can begin to guess how much money your site might make. 1. you need to know how many people are going to visit the site every day 2. you need to know how many of those people are really going to be interested in whatever you are selling on your site. For a new site, unless you do a lot of advertising, it's pretty difficult to increase the number of visitors. I can think of two basic methods of getting visitors to your site: 1. spend lots of money/time advertising the site 2. put lots of relevant content on the site. As mypassword pointed out though, you dont really need a lot of money to get a website up and running. Basically all you need is $5-$10 a month for a website host. Assuming you can create the site yourself. if you need someone to design the site for you etc then it'll cost you more. And even if you cant, there are plenty of free templates out there that you can use. good luck
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby inspired » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks Merck and My Password! OK, I am seeking funding b/c I want this to become a big, profitable I-net site. Am also seeking funding for a companion business. I know I can start a site for almost nil (which is what I have now) but, I-net hosting fees can get expensive, and other things cost $ as well. So let's just assume I need start-up funding. Let's assume sites will be quality offerings in the way of green living/food/film. Let's assume that by the 10th month --- when I must show profitabilily -- that 3,000 will visit each site per day. Visitors are not the same as click-throughs (Adsense). What I need are anecdoctal nos. (i.e, "my friend has a site about barbequing and he gets about 3,000 visitors per day and has some Google Adsense ads up and makes $500 per month") or compilations of numbers ("x organization/survey firm undertook a survey of food sites under 1 yr old and found they were making an average of $400 per month in revenue"). Amazingly enough, after calling research librarians in 4 different library systems, I have come up empty-handed. I am running up against a deadline on getting this business plan done, and this is the critical info I need. I have emailed many site owners, and the only (one) response I rec'd said that his income was "somewhere between a few dollars a mo. and sev'l thousand." Well, obviously although it was nice of him to respond, that sort of answer doesn't warm the hearts of potential investors. I have even contacted the IRS -- but the info isn't broken down enough for it to be very useful. Thank you! Feel free to f/w this on!
inspired
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 pm

sorry inspired, i dont have any info like that. And it sounds like you are going to have a hard time getting info like that. Mainly because just because one site makes X dollars a month on subject A in no way means another site will make as much. I'm not a business expert so maybe what i am about to say is completely wrong. but if someone were asking me for money to start up site, i wouldn't be interested very much in what the other site is making, because that in no way indicates to me that your site will get as much traffic and as much click thru's as the other site. What i would want to see is either the finished site, or at least a mock up of the site. Something i could look at and decide if it looks unique/content rich enough to draw in enough traffic. My approach I think would be to get the site up and running. After it's been up for say a month, then i'd try to show how i managed to get the traffic to increase over that month and convince them it's going to keep increasing. again, i'm not a business expert so maybe I'm completely off the mark here.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm

If you live in either California (Assembly Bill 178 hearing is next month) or Minnesota (I forget bill #??) are you keeping track of your state's taxation revenue status re: Internet sales??? There's so much going on and it seems tip of the iceberg since things went bad in NY last year. Is anyone clear on this?
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Needs and Links