Trying Desperately To House Kids for Summer Jobs

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Trying Desperately To House Kids for Summer Jobs

Postby efleming » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi, I am new to this so I will apologize upfront if I am offending anyone. I have 3 teenage children (all in high school) and have been trying desperately to find housing in Martha's Vineyard, MA for the summer so that my children can work full time to help contribute to their private high school. I work full time and can telecommute from any location. I would be willing to work at night (housekeeping, house-sitting etc ). Without this work, I'm afraid they will not be able to continue their studies at Miss Porter's High School or South Kent High School . Martha's Vineyard has opportunities for teenagers to work that no other place I know of. My sister and her family live there year round but unfortunately do not have room for us to live there for the summer. The weekly/monthly rates on the island are not possible. Does anyone have any ideas ? I really am desperate ?
efleming
New User
New User

Re: Trying Desperately To House Kids for Summer Jobs

Postby skannie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:00 pm

My first reaction is why so desperate? Are American public schools really too terrible to contemplate? I don't know because I live in Europe where most kids seem to do well enough without private education.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:54 pm

skannie - the poster asked for advice on housing/jobs, not to justify her schooling decisions. I'd say housesit, but during the summer Martha's Vineyard is where people go, not away from. It might be there are some foreclosed homes on the Vineyard. I know that some realtors/banks are letting people housesit a foreclosed home so it will be taken care of until it is sold. Maybe that would carry you over a summer?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:30 am

Perhaps just the kids can go and board with local families and you can stay where you are. It depends on how old and how reliable your kids are. My daughter who is turning 16 in June is going to live 500 miles away from us for the summer. She's going to Upper Michigan to work this summer during the tourist season. Luckily, this is where our family's summer house is located, so she has a place to stay, but she must be responsible and contribute to the utility bills. Also, my brother lives just up the road and if he sees anything he doesn't like going on, he has the option of shipping her butt home. I say all this because if you can find options like this for your kids, these are some of the considerations you will have in the deals you may be able to make with local people for housing. It all depends on how responsible your kids are and if you feel they are trustworthy without you around.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 am

I dont know what your reasons are, but it seems like you'd have a much easier time if you didn't focus on such a small specific area for them to find work in. Maybe instead of trying to get them there, you should consider if there's any place else they can also look. Considering the unemployment rate/economy right now, i think your best bet would be to broaden your scope so you can increase the chances of finding something. If you are dead set on martha's vineyard for whatever reason, maybe they can find someplace for short term rent in falmouth and then take the ferry to the vineyard. That would probably be at least an hour commute each way, but at least they can sleep or read a book during the ride (thats what i did when i had to take the subway to school) :)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Needs and Links