Ready to get rid of AT&T Yahoo

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Ready to get rid of AT&T Yahoo

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:26 pm

OK, I'm about ready to switch to something else. I never liked AT&T Yahoo support and today they put me over the edge. They just brushed me off when I said I was dealing with a wireless router and ended my chat session! Geeesh! Periodically, I reinstall my entire PC (I think this will be the 4th time, and this time with personal files on an 8GB flash drive). I put in the restore disks and completely reinstall Windows XP, all the drivers, etc., just like when I first got it several years ago. Well, everything went well, until I tried to connect to the Internet. I used the AT&T Yahoo install CD and it goes through all the connection diagrams (which I already had connected; phone line filters, power cord for modem, ethernet cord, turn modem on, etc.), and then installs some software, then it tries to find the modem and stops and says it can't recognize the modem. Huh, it's their modem! The only thing the help button does is regurgitate through the connection diagrams. It's like asking me if I've plugged the computer in over and over. So, since the last time I did this, I now have a wireless router, because when using my work laptop, it was impossible to get the modem to connect directly to my work laptop (that was the last time I had called AT&T with no success). But having a wireless router fixed all that. All I want to do now though, to start, is reconnect my modem to the home PC and then if I have to reinstall the router and reconfigure, that's fine. [And also, I reconnected the modem directly into the home PC ethernet port, and didn't leave it connected to the router :). ]. But, now I've reconnected the modem to the router in order to use my work laptop to write this. When I started mentioning the wireless router online, the guy just blew me off and said they don't deal with routers, even after I said wait, I just want to try to connect like it used to be and using YOUR install CD with YOUR modem. He then exited the chat session. Since I've done this before and was able to re-establish everything back again before having the router, I'm not doubting that the router being installed is causing an issue. But, it is completely off my home PC now (after reinstalling Windows), so I don't get why the home PC can't recognize the modem with it's own install CD. I even tried something within native Windows. I have an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection and have created a broadband connection in Windows Network Connections and when I go into it, it says under Network Status a green light for Link (Speed -- 100 Mbps) and when I try to connect, the Activity light turns yellow (Duplex -- Full), but it fails. All the AT&T software does is create it's own network connection and calls it DSL Connection. Anyhow, is there a "best" way to connect to the Internet with a generic ISP and use something like MS Outlook for e-mail or something? That way, I wouldn't rely on having all my e-mail tied up at AT&T servers, etc., or having to rely on support when I do something considered "out of the ordinary". In general it is fine (AT&T Yahoo), and I've had it for years, but I'm ready to leave just because of their customer service (I have boycotted Target stores for over ten years because of a customer service incident, and I really liked shopping there). Anyhow, it was a good vent :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Ready to get rid of AT&T Yahoo

Postby merk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:21 pm

ST, in general with broadband connection, you shouldn't need to install ANYTHING from the broadband provider. Here's what i would do: plug in the broadband modem to your pc directly. See if you get an internet connection. You shouldn't have to do anything - your pc should just detect the connection and go. The only thing you might have to do is reboot the broadband modem (unplug the power, wait a few seconds, plug it back in) and reboot your pc. Assuming your PC gets online that way, what i would do next is: Unplug the power from the broadband modem. Unplug the modem from your pc. Set up whatever router you are going to use. Plug in all the ethernet cables before you power on the router or modem. Once all the wires are in place, turn on the modem. Wait a few seconds, turn on the router. At this point, unless you've previously changed/set some setting somewhere, everything should just work. If it doesn't you can try hitting the reset switch on the router. You usually dont need to install any software to do any of this. The only thing you might have to install, if you are reinstalling windows, is a network driver for your network card. The few times i've had problems with my broadband connection, support has usually been useless. Most of the support people dont know anything. I bet most of them just read the same support documents that are posted on their website. and they usually just tell you to unplug everything, shut everything down, plug the modem directly into the pc and then turn everything back on. Most of them wont touch a router. i cant blame them entirely for that since there are so many routers available. As for suggestions as to another broadband provider - depends on what you have available in your area. If you have cable broadband, you'll likely get better speeds then you did with dsl. If you have verizon FIoS available in your area, you'll likely get even faster speeds the cable. You can go to www.broadbandreports.com to check out what other people in your area are saying about various broadband providers.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:53 am

Thanks, Merk. I will play around with what you wrote. I discovered this site: http://www.obviously.com/tech_tips/Yaho ... no_CD.html , and I think it just registers the modem with AT&T because you get a web site from AT&T to type in your phone number. It created a network connection called Internet Gateway, but it is in a separate category NOT under Broadband Connections, so it doesn't have a lot of info in it (just to enable/disable, speed 100MBPS, etc. It looks a lot like the two network card entries that are showing in there also (in a third category in Network Connections). Maybe the fact that this web site got me to open a browser and try it, is all I needed to do. Right away it connected to a few different things I tried before I went to the above site. I'll keep playing around with it. I see the activity on the modem when I browse the web, and the pages seem to be loading fast, so I think it's working. My PC also has a dial up modem, but I would have had to dial a phone number, so I doubt it's "defaulting" to it. I downloaded the free McAffee virus set and it took a while to download, so that got me wondering about speed, also. And also, I did not connect the modem directly to the PC, the ethernet cord is going from the PC to the router, then that's going to the modem, so I'm curious how that works exactly (I have not reinstalled my router software yet). I might try connecting directly tonight and see what happens. All this playing around is partly me trying to learn it a little. I'm not sure how far I'll go into learning about distributed computing or networking or anything, but it's intriguing. Thanks, again.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 am

You typically dont need to install any router software. It'll generally work out of the box. To set up most routers, you usually open your browser and connect to a special address that will open a webpage on the browser where you can change the settings. If you look on the back of your router it might have the url printed on the label somewhere. Pretty much the only thing you might have to install is your network card driver. Very often the software you might get from your service provider just automates any setup steps within windows. Sometimes it install software that will do what windows already does. And sometimes they do it so that they can set your browser to use their home page and their search engine, which makes them more money. as a rule of thumb, i never install anything from the service provider. If you want to test your speeds, go to www.speedtest.net - thats the first site i go to anytime the cable company makes any changes to my internet connection :)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Needs and Links