are you familiar with the Oregon coast?

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

are you familiar with the Oregon coast?

Postby mango » Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi all, I'm planning to relocate to the Oregon coast on October 1st. I used to live 2 hours inland, in Eugene, and I went to Florence a few times, and to Newport once to go to the aquarium (but my crazy father-in-law was visiting and I have blocked the trip out of my mind completely). The areas I'm considering are Newport, Lincoln City, Seaside, and Astoria. Is anyone familiar enough with any of these areas to give me a candid opinion on what you think it would be like to live there? I've downloaded the tourist guides for the areas, and I'm reading avidly, but I won't be able to see them until I'm actually there for a week in August trying to rent a house or apartment. It would really help to narrow down my search if I could get some opinions. Looking for housing in four different areas over the span of 1 week will be a daunting task. Just thought I'd throw the question out there. Thanks for any replies.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: are you familiar with the Oregon coast?

Postby KyleM » Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 pm

HI Mango, I've traveled to all those places numbers of times, but don't know enough about what it would feel like to live there. I'm a Cannon Beach type myself, if I could choose. :wink: They're all going to be rainy/foggy like Northern CA is, though - only the southern Oregon coast is considered the banana belt there... there's some rain shadow effect the last 100 miles of coast. One very active forum I've found helpful for this type of question is here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ Also, Trip Advisor has a forum, and if you google oregon coast discussion board I think there are a couple other places to ask questions of current or former locals. Let us know what you find out. Eugene is an awfully cute little town, I love it.
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks, Kyle! How funny, I narrowed my search to Newport and Cannon Beach yesterday by what I read in a couple of travel guides at the bookstore! I'm now thinking that it will be Newport, since the population there seems to be bigger (more things to do and people to see in the off season), and it's pretty close to Corvallis (cool city) and/or Albany in case I need a back up job. I'm a rain and fog kind of gal. I loved Eugene (though not the job that I had there). I lived in Los Altos, CA (beside Sunnyvale) and hated it. Too sunny and hot. It rained once during the entire year that we lived there. A weird pocket of northern CA, given its proximity to San Francisco! I maintain my CA license, but my dream of working from home, frugality, and simplicity doesn't mesh with the cost of living in CA. Anyway, now that I'm separated, I can go back to OR! My ex thinks the rain is depressing. I'm the opposite. I wonder why people have different predilections for certain types of weather. The scientist in me wants to know. Maybe there is a hereditary factor. My ancestors were fishermen in the North Atlantic. I forget where you are on your journey, but I remember that you and your husband used to manage an apartment complex. There was a great job ad along those lines, either in the Cannon Beach local newspaper, or the Newport local newspaper (both online), I was looking at them yesterday. Will check out those forums! Thanks again.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KyleM » Fri May 08, 2009 8:11 am

Hi Mango, I forgot to add one other resource: the Lonely Planet discussion board. True, they are a travel board, but that's all the better. VERY active. There can be a bit of snark there due to the sheer reach and influence of those books, but the positives outweigh that. I've had many great discussions with people who were either already where I wanted to go, and could tell me in real time what the scoop was, or with people who knew the area intimately. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa Pretty photos on your blog - I can see your beloved fog on the home page! Did you take? Yeah, Cannon Beach is too small in the long run, and it's overrun with upscale tourists in the summer. Really any of the coast is tourist oriented in the summer. Glad you decided against Seaside; it's not appealing to me because it caters to families with younger kids. (Not that I'm against families - it just has a carnival, boardwalk ticky-tacky feel that I don't care for.) Those apt. management jobs are a mixed bag, but if you get the right setup and terms it can be good! A seaside town would be a great place to try it. If you find any answers for predilections for weather, let me know... I struggle living in too much rain or grayness. My younger sister does too. Physically, I prefer being outside and this prevents me since I hate being cold and wet. (I don't mind being warm and wet though, if it's temporary!) I have plenty of Vitamin D despite the lack of sunshine (been tested), so it's something else. I'm analytical too like you. I also wonder what predisposes people to prefer one natural setting over another - I am a beach gal through and through, and yet I know folks who are lukewarm about beaches, who spiritually are attuned to mountains or desert, or whatever. I think there are "scientific" reasons but I also think that psyche and spirit come into play differently too, in different environments - in ways that are not about neurobiology or physical temperament. More along the lines of the outer world being a sort of mirror of the inner world.
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am

Hi Kyle, You are a fascinating person. Just wanted to say that. I'm not interested in the caretaker position. I just mentioned it in case you and your husband were still doing that kind of thing and wanted to find a new place to do it. I'm gathering from your blog that that's not the case. Sorry for the tangent! I wish I had taken those pictures. Standard photos pre-loaded on my computer, I'm afraid. I just posted on the city-data forum asking for the pros and cons of Newport versus Cannon Beach. I can't wait to read the responses! Will look at the Lonely Planet forum also, thanks! Yes, reading about Seaside began to remind me of Myrtle Beach, SC, which is like Las Vegas on the coast. Hate it. The Outer Banks are beautiful, but the climate is still almost tropical, and hurricanes are a real concern. I need to head West. I will let you know if I find anything about geographic predilections. Cold and wet is my favorite weather! That makes me a bit of a social oddity. I hate warm and wet, and I hate hot. I don't mind sunny and cool. I would say that 65* is my ideal outdoor temperature. I'm not sure what that says about my inner world! The self-critic could have a field day with that one. Thanks again for the great resources.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Hedgey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 am

I apologize for not jumping in sooner - I don't take the time to monitor the posts too often. We lived in Albany and Lebanon Oregon from 1991 to 1997. We spent quite a bit of time on the coast. Albany and Eugene are along the I5 Corridor down the Willamette Valley. You don't really say what type of location would best suit you (larger city with activities, small quiet community, areas with more job opportunities, etc.). I interviewed for a job in Astoria and what struck us was 1) it's a beautiful area and 2) quite a bit of it is built on a large hillside - we did quite a bit of driving on steep streets. Moving down the costline in the Tillamook you leave SR 101 and it looks a LOT like Wisconsin - including the cows. Newport is one of the larger towns, but it is not a Portland, Eugene or even Salem. It is still small by most people's standards, but it has attractions, restaurants and a direct route back to the interior of the state. Someone posted that it was close to Corvallis and Albany - not really since you're going around and through the Coastal Mountain Range. Further down the coast you run into Seaside and Yachats. I've been very frank with my husband, "If I win the lottery - I'm heading to Yachats." It just seemed to suit me. Not much there, but a small community and a restaurant or two. Florence and Reedsport are larger again (as I recall). This was about as far south as we routinely drove. The dunes down that way are incredible. I had a friend in Coos Bay, but I can't say that area did much for me personally. Along the coast in rains pretty much every day. It may not be a long rain - just a few minutes, but it generally rains at some point. Yes, the valley is overcast with a rain or a drizzle of rain for six months out of the year, but it is not cold. Everyone asked how we could stand it and I can see where it could really get to somepeople. After moving back to Indiana (DON"T ASK WHY) I realized it's overcast here too for six months - but butt cold! The other six months in Oregon sunny and very little rain - they irrigate a lot. Moderate temps along the coast and valley all year round. Here's my final story. We would tell people that we were moving to Oregon. "Boy, I hope you like it - it rains a lot out there." We move. It's New Year's Eve and I'm helping an older farming couple with their business. She goes to the restroom, so attempting some small talk I talk to him. "I grew up on a farm in Indiana." He says (I'm not kidding), "That's interesting, it rains a lot there doesn't it?" Good luck, I'll be interested in where you land!
Hedgey
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Needs and Links