Need a room/apt in NYC June - October

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Need a room/apt in NYC June - October

Postby kelyta » Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 am

Hello, I am going to culinary school in New York City starting in June and I don't have a place to live yet - Yikes! THe school is from June - October. My kids and husband will be staying in NYC during the summer and then I will stay on without them while they are back in North Carolina in school. I need a room for myself from around May 29 until Mid June and then again from last week of August until the end of October. The family will join me in mid June after school gets out until the end of July. So during that time I will need a bigger place to accomodate 3 adults and 2 kids. For my single room, I am happy to rent a room and I would prefer to be in Manahattan around the Flatiron area. For the rental with the family, we will probably need to be out of manhattan to be able to afford the rent since we need a 2 but preferably a 3 bedroom (Brooklyn would be nice). As long as I can take the train or subway into the city without a big hassle, I'm fine. Of course, it would need to be a safe and a clean place too. Any help from you would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Kelly Taylor
kelyta
New User
New User

Re: Need a room/apt in NYC June - October

Postby DJCNOR » Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 am

Hi, It's been four years since I lived in NYC, so my info may be somewhat innacurate, but I figured I'd offer it anyway. For your single rule, head for one of the colleges or universities and ask about bulletin boards where students post room availabilities. Medical schools are especially good, because medical students go away from their home schools for two or three months at a time on "rotations". Finding the place for your family may be more difficult. Plus, you will really want to do some research regarding prospective neighborhoods. There are some bad neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and some that have rather long commutes to Manhattan (more than an hour and a half). If I were you, I would look at where I would need to go in Manhattan and what subway lines run closest to your destination. Then follow those lines outward from Manhattan. There are many good neighborhoods in Queens and the Bronx as well as in Brooklyn, and you might even want to consider Staten Island, with you regularly taking the ferry to Manhattan. For that, sublets may be your best bet. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Fri May 15, 2009 10:24 am

You could try looking on craigslist. There are always people on there looking to rent out their apartments or rooms on a short term basis.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kelyta » Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 am

THanks for your input. I appreciate it. I have checked Craigslist. It just seems a bit overwhelming and then I don't know what I am really getting or who I might be rooming with. This seems a bit scary to me. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I like all your ideas though. Thanks a lot! Kelly
kelyta
New User
New User

Postby merk » Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 am

Yes, there is a lot on craigslist. But if you enter in your search and then take a little while to go through the ads, you can find some useful stuff. It's how i found my last apartment. I wouldn't expect it to be fast. You'll more then likely have to spend a few hours going through the search results. If you do use craigslist, look through the ads. Hopefully you can find some with pictures included. Find a few that look good. Check the area on google maps - you can use the street view option to actually see what it looks like on the street to see if it looks like a nice enough area for you. When you find some you like, give them a call and see how they sound over the phone. If it were me, i'd try to plan a trip to NY at least a few days before your actual trip to visit some of the places before deciding on one. I will say though you'll probably have somewhat of a hard time since you are basically looking for 3 places (if i read your post right). You need a place for 2 weeks just for yourself, then a place for your whole family for 6 weeks and then a place for yourself again for about 2 months. I think your best bet might be to be somewhat less picky on that first place, since you'll only be there 2 weeks. Find some place that sounds decent. And then once you actually get there, you can then scout out the other two places. One more option you might want to consider - see if there's someplace big enough for you and your family that you can just rent from june to october. Short term summer rentals usually cost more per month then longer term rentals do. So in the end, if you are lucky, it might not cost that much more and it would save you the hassle of having to find 3 places. you'll probably need quite a bit of luck to make that work, but just something you might want to consider as you are looking through available places. Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who is going to be gone a few months and wants to rent out their apartment short term while they are gone.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Fri May 15, 2009 2:46 pm

merk wrote:One more option you might want to consider - see if there's someplace big enough for you and your family that you can just rent from june to october. Short term summer rentals usually cost more per month then longer term rentals do.
Trust Merk, this is the way to go. A 2BR apt sublet from June 1 through October 31. You are rather waiting until the last minute to get everything done and move in 2 weeks!!! but if you get cracking right now you might just pull it off. Choose two or three neighborhoods and then check the ads, particularly in the smaller (like VILLAGE VOICE) and free neighborhood newspapers to make a list of local real estate offices and management companies. Then you will know which buildings to target. Check bulletin boards of all the grocery stores, etc in your targetted blocks. Ten years ago I had gread success recommending Craigslist to friends and their friends others to NYC--they found wonderful things. Now I fear it has become a bit spammy, scammy and unsavory so I hesitate to recommend...but you still might find something there--bring a friend with you to check things out and trust your instincts. This thread might help: W: moving to nyc O: dog-friendly building viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21906
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Fri May 15, 2009 3:44 pm

re: the spammy and scammy bit for craigslist - that seems to apply more to specific sections. For example, look for tv's on craiglist and literally 90% will be spam. But last year i was looking for apartments, and pretty much none of it was spam. So i think apartment hunting is probably still pretty safe on craigslist, as long as you use a little common sense.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeannetteLS » Sat May 16, 2009 10:47 am

You might consider contacting a realtor that rents summer places to people from the city and say you will house sit for the summer. Explain the situation, give references and see whether something happens. I know a few people who stayed in MANSIONS that way because they watched pets for two months. I housesat at an artist's while she went to Paris for six weeks. It IS kind of late, but maybe that would might be a way to find someplace quickly.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Latinatech » Sat May 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Hello, My name is Melissa and came across your post quite accidentally, I am renting two rooms in my apt. for June and July possibly longer. I think this would be the perfect situation. Unfortunately I'm not in Manhattan I'm in Queens, but I'm very close to transportation and its only like a 1/2 hr into Manhattan from where I live. Right I have an add on Craigslist, yes it can be overwhelming, but it's not completely impossible. I will cut and paste my ad and if you are still interested get back to me and I will email you pics etc. I'm a food network junky so I am totally impressed with the fact that you are pursuing that field. I am in college right now studying to be a Medical Assistant, I'm in my last academic semester and after I go on to my internship. Please read the ad thoroughly as I have tried to be as specific as possible and I have included the cost of utilities in the total monthly rent. If you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me. Take Care! ADMINISTRATOR: personal email address deleted Hello, I have 2 rooms for rent with separate bathroom in a 3 bedroom apt on the first floor of a 2 family house. It is located on the on the line that separates Queens Village from Hollis. Very convenient to Public transportation, Shopping, Laundry mats, Hair salons, Churches, all located two blocks away and a 5 minute ride to Shopping mall, Movie theater, Gym, parks, etc. There is a full bathroom (I have my own), eat - in kitchen with table, living room, fully furnished, leather couch set. All new stainless steel appliances- Refrigerator, Stove, Dishwasher all wood floors. Plenty of street parking and driveway available (extra). The house is new, located in a residential area, in a nice, quiet tree lined block. Some storage available in basement You must love animals! I have 3 very affectionate cats and a very friendly Golden Retriever who is crate trained. I am a female non-smoker, quiet, to myself. I'm usually at school, work or the gym. Please be fully employed for at least 1 year with proof of income- Recent Bank Statements and Pay Stubs are acceptable. Please provide a reference from your last land lord or roommate. The rent for the smaller room suitable for 1 person is 750.00 utilities heat, hot water electricity, are included. Access to phone cable and wired or wireless internet, $75.00 extra. The larger room suitable for 2 people is 850.00 utilities heat, hot water electricity, are included. Access to phone cable and wired or wireless internet, $75.00 extra. Smokers welcome- please just not in the house, and please no drugs or drinking, or loud music and please be clean. Non- Discriminatory Gay friendly household! Must love animals! Everyone welcome! Available Immediately!!! RENTING ON A MONTH TO MONTH BASIS ONLY!!!! 195 place Sagamore ave (google map) (yahoo map) * cats are OK - purrr * Location: Queens Village Quiet Area * it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests [/size]
Latinatech
New User
New User

Return to Needs and Links