help, I've messed up the font of my entire computer

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

help, I've messed up the font of my entire computer

Postby mango » Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi all, Sorry for posting so many questions today. I've unknowingly done something to my computer that has changed the font on every single website that I visit, and even the names of the items that are on my desktop. Everything. Is there a quick fix? It's driving me mad. The titles and web browser names are blocky and bold, and anything that's not a title is the color gray, and in a googly font (it used to be Trebuchet). Thanks for any help.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: help, I've messed up the font of my entire computer

Postby Tituba » Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 am

Is this XP or Vista?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 26, 2009 6:10 am

Vista...

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 am

Use the system restore feature to back it up to a few days ago before you made the changes When the Start Menu opens click on the All Programs menu option. Click once on the Accessories Start Menu group. Click once on the System Tools Start Menu group. Click once on the System Restore icon. After you click on the icon, if a User Account Control window opens you should click on the Continue button.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 26, 2009 7:33 am

Thank you, Tituba! You are the best. Everything went back to normal (looks like there was a Windows update yesterday at 10:00 am that might have done it). One problem: Now Firefox doesn't work. It won't launch. I've un-installed and installed it twice since then, with no apparent problems according to the program, but it will not launch. About to restart my computer and see if that helps.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 am

Didn't help. :bash: It's there on my desktop and in my program files but it will not launch. Period. I even right-clicked the icon and selected 'open', but it still didn't work.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 am

Does anything at all happen when you try to launch it? Any error msg or anything? How did you uninstall it?
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 am

Download and install malwarebytes and update it. Then run it in safe mode
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks for your replies. I un-installed Firefox via the Control Panel (and then re-installed it from the Mozilla site, and then un-installed it from the Control Panel, and then re-installed it from the Mozilla site...) The whole things downloads and sets up fine, but at the finish screen there is a box that says Launch Firefox now, which is checked, but then nothing happens. The icon is on my desktop, but every time I double-click it, the small blue circle (cursor-esque type thingy) spins for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I downloaded, installed, and updated Malwarebytes. I don't know what 'run it in safe mode' means. Then I tried un-installing and re-installing Firefox again, and nothing has changed. What have I done? Thank you for your advice. I may be pushing past your goodwill here.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Okay, I figured something out. I can start Firefox from the 'programs' list in the start menu (and I found the 'safe mode' that you mentioned), so it looks like its the shortcut that's not working.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 pm

You can right click on the shortcut in the start menu, select copy, and then right click on your desktop and 'paste' it there. Hopefully that'll fix whatever issue you were having with your desktop icon.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 am

It worked! Thank you both so much for saving me a lot of time and money. Would be happy to answer any dog or cat medical questions in return! :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 am

mango wrote:Thank you both so much for saving me a lot of time and money. Would be happy to answer any dog or cat medical questions in return! :D
Ok, i have a dog question for you. :) What would you do for a dog that has pretty consistent loose bowel movements - not to be too gross here but it's about the consistency of mashed potatoes. Happens fairly often, but other then that, the dog is perfectly fine. no loss of apatite, playful, no signs of any illness etc etc I've tried some different dog foods. Doesn't seem to have an effect. The only other thing i can think of is i gave her some raw marrow bones to chew on. Would those cause any problems? i stopped giving them to her for the last few days to see if clears up.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 am

Internet connection just came back up after a few days down, and I'm headed to work. Will answer you tomorrow. Thanks again!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 am

That happens to one of my cats on a pretty regular basis. I think it is a food allergy. This is enhanced by the fact that she will then dip her fluffy tail in it and go around the house depositing her special "paint." Must remember, "I love my cat." Anyways, I was finally able to control this with a product the vet gave me "Forti Flora." It is the same bacteria in yogurt. You are suppose to mix it with their food but my cat is too smart for that one. I have to mix it with water, put it in a syringe and squirt it in her mouth. It fixes the issue pretty quickly. I usually have to give her two packets a month or so. They have it for dogs http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Ca ... x?prod=244 As far as I know, you have to get it from the vet. You should talk to your vet though. Sometimes loose means worms.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Needs and Links