help, I've messed up the font of my entire computer

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: help, I've messed up the font of my entire computer

Postby merk » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 am

It's not worms - vet already confirmed that. Maybe i'll just try mixing in some yogurt into her food. The thing that puzzles me about all this is she started getting it with no change in her diet. One day she's fine, the next day she's laying her own 'paint' on the ground.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am

Yup, that's how my cat has been her entire life eating the same food. FortiFlora has stronger stuff in it and is made for animals. I'm not sure if regular yogurt is OK for them or not.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Fri May 29, 2009 10:47 am

Tituba wrote:Yup, that's how my cat has been her entire life eating the same food. FortiFlora has stronger stuff in it and is made for animals. I'm not sure if regular yogurt is OK for them or not.
Yogurt is ok - someone had suggested that before. Although i dont know if it's as effective as the fortiflora.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Sat May 30, 2009 1:15 pm

I'm back online after 3 days! Some sort of a wiring problem. I would stop all treats and people food (dog stomachs are very sensitive to change). You didn't mention what type of diet you feed, but my favorite is Science Diet. There is a 'sensitive stomach' formulation as well. These days, the new diets have too much 'stuff' in them IMHO (additives that are supposed to improve health), and that makes them too rich for a dog with a sensitive stomach. Disease-wise, dogs do get inflammatory bowel disease (veterinary diagnostics or steroid trial needed for this one). You mentioned that you ruled out intestinal parasites. It depends on what type of dog you have, but there is a malabsorption sydrome in some breeds. Also chronic pancreatitis, which would be solved by switching to a very bland prescription diet (probably Hill's I/D). There is an ELISA snap test to rule this in or out. Some dogs are high-strung and prone to stress colitis (visitors, changes in routine, stress of owner, etc.) This would require a bland diet x 3-5 days whenever it occurred (+/- intestinal antibiotics like metronidazole). Also, if you are switching diets, you have to do it over at least four days to counteract the ensuing loose stool: Day 1: 25% new food, 75% old food Day 2: 50%/50% Day 3: 75% new food/25% old food Day 4: 100% new food A lengthy, expensive process to diagnose once you have ruled out all of the obvious, in my opinion. If it were me, and I had done everything above re: cutting out treats and switching to a quality diet, I would request a broad-spectrum dewormer (even if negative fecal exam), and ask my vet his/her opinion re: IBD. Hope this helps.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sat May 30, 2009 2:30 pm

she normally eats solid gold wolf king - which was actually TOO good since she gained weight on it ;) I switched her to prescription diet R/D per the vets recommendation, but i dont really like the ingredients in there. They arent very good. and she really does not like the food. She'll pretty much eat anything - but not that food. I think maybe i need to try another vet. The last one i took her too was the first time she had been there, and i just wasnt that impressed with him. He wasn't that communicative. And i cant keep her on the prescription diet since she obviously hates it. Maybe i can try mixing in a little rice and ground beef into the prescription diet to make it a little more appetizing.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Sat May 30, 2009 5:07 pm

R/D is a prescription diet for overweight dogs... Is that the case? Odd choice by your veterinarian, if not. If you mix something in, do boiled chicken (or cottage cheese) and rice (depending on how much time you have to cook). One part chicken (or cottage cheese) to 3 parts rice. But that it won't help with weight loss... I think Hill's Z/D would be the best diet to try, given your dogs' symptoms. My $0.02.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun May 31, 2009 12:34 pm

yeah she needed to lose some weight, which she has. So i can switch her to something else. I've actually been mixing in some uncooked rice into her food. I'll try some chicken and the z/d and see how that goes. thanks
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Nix the chicken. The Z/D has a hypoallergenic protein source, so using it exclusively would rule out both food allergy and IBD without doing any diagnostics. Supplemental protein (chicken) would mess up the food trial.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun May 31, 2009 3:15 pm

ok. is there anything i can add to it to make it taste a little better? Or any wet food? I usually mix in a half can of wet food into her kibble. But she seriously does not like the prescription diet food. If she dislikes the z/d just as much, is there anything i can add to it that's safe? thanks
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mango » Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 pm

I think dogs dislike the R/D in general because it probably tastes like diet food (lots of fiber). I haven't heard of any dogs who don't like Z/D, but of course that doesn't mean that your dog will like it. There is a canned version of Z/D that you could mix in with the dry. Otherwise, you could use canned I/D, which is a bland intestinal diet. Usually mixing anything canned will get them to eat. Will keep thinking. Let me know if any of it works. You will need prescription cards from your veterinarian in order to purchase the prescription diets anywhere other than your vet's office (ie: somewhere like Petsmart). PM me if that will be a problem and I might be able to help. If you're looking for a new vet, you might try Banfield, which is inside Petsmart in most states (if you have one nearby). That way the vet and the food are side-by-side. Plus, their hours are good (usually 9 am to 7 pm and 7 days a week). Despite being in a pet superstore, the quality of medicine is top-notch, and they are full-service veterinary hospitals completely separate (except for premises) from Petsmart. http://www.banfield.net

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun May 31, 2009 9:18 pm

oh the z/d is also prescription? I'll talk to the vet then and see what he says. I was actually thinking of her taking her to the vet i used when i had ferrets. I was really impressed with her, she really seemed to care about the animals and was very communicative. She's not as close as this vet, but it's not like i have to go there every day anyhow. thanks for the advice. I'll try out the z/d (if the vet writes a prescription for it) and let you know how it goes.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Needs and Links