W:need online marketing genius to sell book O:self-published

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W:need online marketing genius to sell book O:self-published

Postby Deb9256 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 am

My husband has written 3 great books, and we've self-published them through createspace.com which automatically makes them available for sale on Amazon too. He's developed his website. We're in the process of getting friends to review the books. So first steps are done. Now about creating a marketing campaign. Since the books are all self-published, we don't have an agent or publisher or a publicity /marketing person. Neither of us know much about marketing, especially online marketing. Seems like you can spend a lot of money quickly, with little guarantee of success. The most important book to market is his novel about 2012 - the end of the Mayan calendar, and we want to figure out how to connect it with other books or movies or websites that deal with the same subject. And direct web traffic to our site. The timing is important - we have a window until the end of 2012 to make this a best seller and get a movie made! We need a good marketing person - especially one who knows about online options and print-on-demand book marketing. Do you know anyone? We have been trying to find someone who could help direct us with that marketing - we're focusing on online because the books will NOT be in bookstores and WILL BE available print-on-demand when ordered online. We need someone to make recommendations, help us create a plan and time-line, and even do more technical aspects of this for us. Of course, we don't have a great amount of funds, so it's important to choose someone competent (so we don't waste $$ and get nothing in return) and able to create a campaign that will use some seed $$ and then be mostly funded by future sales. We don't know much about the social networking path - which we would really need the direction with. And we're reading some of the books on self-publishing, but there's SO much out there that could be done and we just don't have the experience to know what will work and what won't! There are packages out there that we hear have not produced results. We need to get focused in the right direction (and not too many of them!) Ultimately, it would be great to be noticed by a large publishing house / movie director and they would take it from there. Has anyone been through anything similar lately? Your ideas and any specific recommendations are very welcome. Thank you. DeborahDeb9256 New Poster Posts: 18 Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 5:01 Private message
Deb9256
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W:need online marketing genius to sell book O:self-published

Postby Unity » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:11 am

Congratulations on the books. If it was me and the Mayan book, I would write a press release and send it to every single online site that deals with mind/body/spirituality as well as fiction - just do a search and you will find loads. I would also send PR's in the post to publishers of book clubs, magazines, local newspapers etc. If you have printed copies, you could try selling them on a stall relating to mind/body/spirit at a conference or something like that. You could also set up Facebook and Twitter pages that link to a website and blogs to get online presence. These are free and easy to do once you begin although it can seem daunting at first. Also take a look round this site - http://www.cygnus-books.co.uk I've been a member for many years, they publish free monthly magazines which are either emailed or sent out to homes with interesting articles and book reviews. They sell mainly non-fiction books but also certain types of novels and I think your Mayan book could be appropriate. Perhaps you could contact them. Good Luck.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 am

The movie 2012 will be coming out later this year http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/ I saw the previews while I was at another movie. You could rent a space and hold talks on these books.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Deb9256 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks Unity and Tituba for your suggestions. There's some new ideas in there we'll look into. Question for Tituba - what do you mean "rent a space and hold talks"? Deborah
Deb9256
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:31 am

There are facilities (community centers, churches) that will rent you their space. You then advertise and have the author speak for a fee. Also look to new age shops that have speakers.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby YellowRose » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:10 am

I hope things are going well with the books. I know I'm a bit late replying but I just found this thread. You can do your own marketing, it just takes time to put into it. I have a friend who used one of the print on demand companies to publish his book, but he started promoting it long before publishing to get people interested. He used facebook to gather fans and then when he was ready to launch the book, he scheduled several events, including an "invitation only" book launch party and talked to retail stores to set up book signings (they were mostly eclectic clothing stores). For the book launch, he asked people to go online and pre-order their copy from the print on demand site and he would sign the book for them at the party. He did have to order copies for the book signings (that was why he scheduled several), but he also sent out facebook invitations and requested other people pass on the invitation so he could have a feel for how many people might show up. (Facebook keeps track of event rsvp's.) He also got enough attention that a local magazine interviewed him about the book. A few places where you might consider holding a discussion/speech about the books, a launch party, book signings, etc might be new age shops as previously mentioned, science fiction or comic book conventions (they let people rent tables to sell their products), local retail stores, art galleries, coffee shops, festivals, or gem and mineral shows. The last one might sound strange, but a book about the Mayan calendar would be a fascinating topic for anyone interested in archeology and geology. For some of these events, yes, you may need to buy books yourself to have copies for signing, but you can offer any books left over on his web site as signed copies and ship them out yourself. Another key for an event like that - don't let it be known that these copies may be available later. You want to create a sense of urgency as well as uniqueness (You can buy them from the print company but more signed copies might not be available later!) so you take home as little inventory as possible. As a side-note, my friend is very introverted so I know it must have been a little hard for him to promote himself like that (he was extremely nervous about the magazine interview!) but he really believed in his book, which is about nightlife and partying!! :lol: Kat
YellowRose
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Moonracer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

There's a woman named Penny who is a book marketing expert: www.amarketingexpert.com Also, Brian Jud has free webinars on marketing books: www.bookmarketingworks.com
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W:need online marketing genius to sell book O:self-publi

Postby casrion_23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:16 am

This is an incredible post! I also want to grow my sales but it is very hard to decide on the marketing platforms. One of my cousins has suggested using Slack sms app for the DIY bulk SMS campaigns, and she told me that it took no time for her to get good number of leads. This is why I am also interested in using it!
casrion_23
New User
New User

Return to Needs and Links