Is there a way to bleach an oriental-style rug?

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Is there a way to bleach an oriental-style rug?

Postby mango » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 am

Hi all,

Another home decorating question...

I have a really nice, large, oriental style rug (about $100 at Costco) that I don't use because the green in it is just a bit too blue (if that makes sense) to go with my color scheme (which is more of a light, 'grass green,' which is used as an accent color).

I would really like to use it in my dining room, and I was wondering about trying to dim the colors a bit by bleaching the whole rug somehow. It would make it look older, too, which would be good.

It's worth a try, as otherwise I will end up giving the rug away.

Any ideas? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any suggestions.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Is there a way to bleach an oriental-style rug?

Postby Unity » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Mango

I think bleach can affect some fibres, apart from that a rug is big and heavy so I imagine will be difficult to rinse out and can you imagine the potential difficulty if you got the bleach over your clothes or something else?

I don't know how fabric paint would work on a rug?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby yonuh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm

If you do an internet search you can probably find an answer. I have heard that using tea can make fabrics look 'old' but I don't know the process. Bleach would probably break down the fibers but you could try peroxide on a small area to see what that does. You would need a way to rinse out the peroxide before it totally takes away the color. I have never tried anything like this so I can't guarantee the peroxide won't ruin the rug also. But I'm sure there are plenty of tips on the web. Just be sure it's a reputable site. :)
yonuh
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:29 am

You could try leaving it out to be bleached by the sun. Or wash it several times using washing powder or liquid intended for "whites". They contain bleaches and optical brighteners.

The problem is you might just end up with a lighter bluey green instead of a grassy green. Different shades of the same colour can look good together if you make it look deliberate. How about introducing a few bluey green accents to match the rug, along with the grassy green ones, and maybe some other greens too.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:13 am

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your valid points.

I had thought about letting the sun bleach it (that Carolina sun must be good for something), but wondered myself if I might just end up with a lighter blue-green. Besides, I live in a giant apartment complex, and anything that is sitting around is considered 'free to a good home,' so I would likely never see it again.

:lol:

And there's no possible way to wash it. Too big and heavy. It has to be rolled up to even move it. It weighs a ton. That said, it's a very good quality rug.

As I said in the post about dying leather...

It never occurred to me to incorporate the differences into the overall color scheme.
Sounds like that's the plan.

Have a great day, all! :D
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Husky » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

A week ago I was also looking for a way to make my expensive rug new. The following method is really satisfactory.

1. Prepare the Rug. First, thoroughly vacuum the rug on both sides to remove any loose dirt.

2. Test for Colorfastness. Follow the mixing instructions on a store-bought rug cleaner/shampoo, or add a couple of capfuls of mild dish detergent to a bucket of warm water. Do not use hot water, as it may shrink fibers or fade color. Test the solution on a small corner of the rug to make sure it doesn’t make the colors run. If it doesn’t, proceed to the next step.

3. Wash. Using a sponge or brush, work a lather of shampoo or detergent deep into the rug. Allow the solution to sit on the rug and work for several minutes before rinsing.

4. Rinse. Thoroughly rinse the rug with a garden hose, making sure the water is clear of soap suds before you finish.

5. Remove Excess Water. Squeeze as much water out of the rug as you can with your squeegee, being careful to work only in the direction of the rug’s nap.

6. Dry. Lay the rug flat to dry. Once the top side is dry, flip it over so the bottom can dry as well.

7. Loosen Fibers. Use a vacuum or soft-bristled brush to loosen up the fibers of the rug, as they may have compacted during the washing/drying process. Return your rug to the room and enjoy!
Husky
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:48 am

Someone gave me a nice oriental rug that I thought was a medium/light brown. Here's what I did. I used the type of foam rug cleaner that you spray on and let dry. Then vacuum as the instructions say. Of course, test it on a corner first. It was easy to do and resulted in a very beautiful BEIGE rug! Evidently, it was the dust/dirt that made it the color I thought it was. Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links