W:move to Montclair O:can't find pet-friendly place

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W:move to Montclair O:can't find pet-friendly place

Postby ideamim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 am

Here's my wish - to rent an apartment in Montclair, NJ with my husband and small dog.
Here's my obstacle - it's not a "pet-friendly" city, nicer places tend not to take dogs and the places that do are mostly rundown and in bad sections of town.

I've been looking intensively for about 6 weeks - can anyone help me think more creatively about this?

Here's what I've tried:
Craig's List
rent.com
realtors
bringing dog to "interview" so they'll see how nice he is
looking in neighboring areas
leaving my husband and dog behind temporarily to live there alone and spend more time searching

thank you so much - grateful for the input
Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: W:move to Montclair O:can't find pet-friendly place

Postby SMM2005 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 am

Hi Mim!

Maybe you could post in the area you want to live in, what you are looking for, when, etc. and mention that you are looking for a pet friendly place, and of course, maybe show a pic of your dog, etc.

Could be worth a try if you are comfortable doing that.

Good luck :D

Susan
SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am

I agree. Visit the town, talk to the shop owners, ask them about the issue. Look as if you have money, but are warm and friendly all the same. Ask where is the best place to ask. See if there's a local newspaper. Hang out at the park and go with your husband to the bar. The bartender will probably be the person to ask.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ideamim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 am

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Susan, I did post about us with our photo - glad you think that's a brilliant idea :D

Barbara, I'm going back there today and will try chatting up the locals! Last night I was thinking about how you took Romeo on a cruise by saying he was a service dog -- maybe I could try that, too! Did you have to get him certified anywhere?
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 am

I did. It was shortly after my mother died and I was crying rather easily. Went to a shrink who gave me some kind of drug that was awful and I never took it more than once, and she wrote me a letter saying Romeo was an emotional support dog. Truth was that back then almost all the airlines were totally insane about bringing a dog on board (not service dogs, just any dogs), even though they allowed it and I did it often, and was very willing to pay their exorbitant fees and be limited to one carry-on. A close friend told me they were totally horrible to 4 blind women with seeing eye dogs in an airport nearby. And they'd be angry and mean and say 'the dog *mustn't* get out of the box!!!!' when the dog was sound asleep and didn't ever want to get out of the box. (They seem to have changed a little, bit by bit, and now they're much easier to get along with.)

But at that time, 2 years ago last month, I wanted to try to make Romeo an emotional support dog and the shrink totally agreed because I knew that if I got that garbage from them after my mom died that I'd start bawling (and probably be really mean at the same time!) I applied. It took many months to get the tag mailed to me. (New York was busy, they said.)

Now I've heard that older people are carrying small dogs as hearing service dogs! Because the upper registers of sound become hard to hear when you're older, you can't always hear fire alarms or cell phones. I got my ears checked and there is hearing loss in the upper registers. But so far I get a new letter from the shrink each year. She still thinks I'm emotional about my mom's death. (She's right.) And the dog really does help.

On Jet Blue I saw a woman with a dog and no crate! She's afraid to fly, and Jet Blue allowed her to take the dog on board. You might want to call them.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SMM2005 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 pm

My cat's name is Romeo :D
SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MoreMagic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Have you discussed with rental agents whether offering a bigger security deposit might make your dog more acceptable to a landlord who has an apartment listed?
MoreMagic
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jean » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 am

I would contact veterinarians and pet services/shops for leads. Post your pic/ad on bulletin boards there. Look for pet-friendly people and ask *them* for leads.

Where are you living now? If you have been renting with your dog to this point, get a referral from your landlord. If your landlord is willing, include his phone number so prospective landlords can verify that you are a wonderful tenant and the dog is neater than many folks are!!! (Believe me on this: my dad rented properties and I can say with authority that the worst damages he ever had came not from a pet but from humans!)

If you can't get your dog registered as a service dog, perhaps certification as a therapy/visiting dog welcomed in schools and nursing homes might be quicker. Anything that would reassure a prospective landlord that your dog is better behaved than most children would be helpful, lol.
jean
New Poster
New Poster

Postby ideamim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 am

Barbara, my sincere condolences about the loss of your mother. Thanks so much for sharing about how you got Romeo registered as a support dog. I'm going to look into this for the long term.

Magic, we have definitely offered larger security deposits, but maybe we should offer a REALLY large deposit!

Jean, thanks for the idea to contact pet shops and vets. Our current landlord would definitely give us a good reference. There are these horror stories of people who take advantage with 5 pets... I even heard of a fish tank that broke and the owner decided no pets going forward.

thanks again for your support and ideas,
Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby AnneSophie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:I did. It was shortly after my mother died and I was crying rather easily. Went to a shrink who gave me some kind of drug that was awful and I never took it more than once, and she wrote me a letter saying Romeo was an emotional support dog. Truth was that back then almost all the airlines were totally insane about bringing a dog on board (not service dogs, just any dogs), even though they allowed it and I did it often, and was very willing to pay their exorbitant fees and be limited to one carry-on. A close friend told me they were totally horrible to 4 blind women with seeing eye dogs in an airport nearby. And they'd be angry and mean and say 'the dog *mustn't* get out of the box!!!!' when the dog was sound asleep and didn't ever want to get out of the box. (They seem to have changed a little, bit by bit, and now they're much easier to get along with.)

But at that time, 2 years ago last month, I wanted to try to make Romeo an emotional support dog and the shrink totally agreed because I knew that if I got that garbage from them after my mom died that I'd start bawling (and probably be really mean at the same time!) I applied. It took many months to get the tag mailed to me. (New York was busy, they said.)

Now I've heard that older people are carrying small dogs as hearing service dogs! Because the upper registers of sound become hard to hear when you're older, you can't always hear fire alarms or cell phones. I got my ears checked and there is hearing loss in the upper registers. But so far I get a new letter from the shrink each year. She still thinks I'm emotional about my mom's death. (She's right.) And the dog really does help.

On Jet Blue I saw a woman with a dog and no crate! She's afraid to fly, and Jet Blue allowed her to take the dog on board. You might want to call them.

So sorry for your loss, Barbara.

Dogs are indeed, the best medicine with no side effects, except solid waste pickup!

If the OP has not found her abode yet, a good trick in high rent areas is to check the towns around one's chosen city or in this low real estate market time, find out if smaller houses for sale have been listed for a long time and if the owner will considerer renting.
AnneSophie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Needs and Links