J. K. Rowling Drawings

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

J. K. Rowling Drawings

Postby Anna M » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Any Harry Potter collectors out there? If you are familiar with the various editions, I was wondering about the special editions that include extra artwork by J. K. herself. I think the 10th Anniversary Edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone contains some extra artwork, and I think the limited edition leather bound copy does also. There may be special editions of the other books as well, but I don't know what they contain. Information on these special drawings does not seem to be listed in any of the descriptions.

Is anyone familiar with the UK editions? I would like to get a complete set of these books in the original text. The adult hardcover box set seems like it would be very nice. There is also a Bloomsbury Signature Edition hardback set, but I think it's quite pricey. I'm curious about what special features they have and how they look inside and out. I have read all of the books and have half of the American hardcovers. I should have gotten the rest as soon as I could because I would have first editions, but I plan on completing that set. They are beautiful. The newer ones might be even better to have as they have been corrected. I like the Mary GrandPré illustrations as opposed to the British children's set. As far as having the British original books goes, I think the adult set looks like it would be nice to have. I don't think the adult set has pictures, and I am curious as to what those other editions contain and how to get those J. K Rowling drawings. Is anyone familiar with these various editions?

Anna M
Anna M
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: J. K. Rowling Drawings

Postby Unity1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 am

I had a UK hardcover book when it first came out, no drawings inside it.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Anna M » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks, Unity1. I figured as much from the little bit I was able to see on YouTube. Sorry if my post is a bit rambling. What I meant about those was that the adult dust jackets seem to look prettier than the children's dust jackets. If one were to go for the original, untranslated versions, the adult hardcovers seem like they would be a nice set to own. What do they look like inside, Unity? What's it like to hold one in your hand? None of the videos seem to be that concerned with how the book itself looks.

I find the Arthur A. Levine - Scholastic American books to be quite beautiful. I like the Mary GrandPré illustrations on the dust jackets and with each chapter. The boards with their richly colored, contrasting cloth with diamond pattern are pretty and are different on each volume. The end papers are richly colored and the fonts used and the paper quality are nice, too. I like the look and feel of these American books, but then they are the books I first read and am used to. I own Books 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7, but unfortunately spilled my drink on book 2. They are first editions. J. K Rowling has since made corrections to some mistakes and inconsistencies. What an undertaking putting out all those pages and coordinating all those subplots must have been!

As soon as I discovered that the American books had been translated for us, I decided that I needed the original UK version, and the adult hardback books seem like they would be nice. That aside, I am curious about the various deluxe editions. One can only afford to buy so much Harry potter, but I have always wanted the original J. K. Rowling drawings and I wonder if they are all contained in one of the editions. I know that the limited edition leather bound copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone has a drawing of Harry in front of a Fireplace, and the 10th Anniversary Edition has Rowling’s drawing of Professor Snape and an additional color plate by Mary GrandPré, It also has a nice red cloth, covered in gold stars. I learned this from a YouTube video by eviltig (huh?). I don’t know if there are deluxe versions of Books 2 - 7, or if there are some in the works, but there is a British Signature Edition. I’m not sure what special features it contains. I would love to have all of J. K.'s drawings. Too bad there was not a special book with all of those, but maybe she is saving it for the Encyclopedia, which would be wonderful to have.

Has anyone seen her drawings elsewhere or what these other editions look like?

Anna M
Anna M
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Anna M » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Harry Potter, by the way, is the first fiction I have bought in a many years. In high school I had friends who were into science fiction, so I read Stranger In a Strange Land. In college one summer, I bought a romance novel out of curiosity when I was bored. And I bought a lovely hard bound Teaser and the Firecat by Cat Stevens which my sister look, thinking it was hers. And a nice copy of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery. Other than that, it’s been non fiction all the way. But I was curious about Harry Potter, and once I started reading I became a devoted fan. I was disappointed that the New York Times split their list into adult and children’s because they didn’t want to have to say that Harry Potter was #1. I think it should have had the honour. I don’t think of Harry Potter as strictly children’s books, anyway.

I always buy hardcover copies of books that are important to me. I prefer them. In fact I buy them whenever possible. You can sometimes find them cheaper than the paperbacks. I find reading a hardcover to be a more enjoyable experience. They are more beautiful, the pages are nicer, and they are easier to read. They are lovelier editions to one’s library. Not that a paperback can’t be a nice thing, too.

I still haven’t yet read any other fiction in my adult life (although I did find a nice copy of Le Petit Prince - The Little Prince in French). A friend of mine thought I should read Twilight when she read the first book, and my brother likes Paul Auster. I’ll get around to reading some.

Anna M.
Anna M
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Needs and Links