W: get readers for Temporary Address" O. It's self-published

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: get readers for Temporary Address" O. It's self-published

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Does anyone know how to use Twitter? I don't get it. According to Barbara Sher, I need to use it to promote "Temporary Address" but I don't know what to do with it.

Anyone will tell you - self-published fiction writers don't get many readers. So here are my marketing ideas so far:

I have a blog. You can read the book on the blog if you want to.

I posted an ad on Facebook. I'm getting a friend to post on Linked in. I'll do Twitter if I can figure out how to work it.

I'm trying to get it promoted on phone in talk shows. I have to get someone else to call in because talk radio makes me nervous.

I've written to famous people (Ha ha - fat chance!!! But you have to throw out the "Hail Mary" once in a while.)

I want to donate the e-book to all the libraries in the US. I don't know how to do this. I'd think you'd just look up the library, hit "contact us" and that would be that, but so far it isn't.

I have a brochure - the cover of the book and, inside, the first two pages. I need ideas of where to display it.

The book is serious, not funny. A cousin suggested that an old man wearing penguin pajamas (my husband) read it on U-Tube, but that's just wrong. (And besides he won't do it.)

I have not yet done the marketing strategies that the self-publishing companies suggest. Later today or tomorrow I'll start that.

I'm going to read everyone else's wishes and obstacles now. Happy wishing, everyone!!!!!
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W: get readers for Temporary Address" O. It's self-publi

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

What sorts of blogs might like to talk about your book and give away a copy to a winner from among those who comment on the post? If you can describe the blogs, ask on Facebook and Twitter for links to such blogs.

Can you get it onto GoodReads.com?

Can you get a few friends to put it on StumbleUpon in a relevant category?

On Twitter, find folks who talk about fiction books and have lots of followers and offer them a copy. If you're just starting out there, you won't have much reach yourself for a while, but folks with reach who reference you and your book will help with that.

Can people download it to their Kindles, iPhones, and Nooks as well as their computers and tablets? If not, check out Vocus or BookBaby. If yes, put the brochures in train and bus stations, in airports and on seats, where people tend to do a lot of reading.

Do you have a book club guide for it, with questions to be used by book clubs when they discuss it? If so, search for book clubs and offer it for free.

Show up for #writerchat (or is it #writerschat) on Sunday afternoon on Twitter. Use TweetChat.com to participate.

Pick up your computer's microphone and start recording yourself talking about the book for at least 10 minutes daily until you get over any fear of being the book's best spokesperson. For the first week, don't even listen to what you recorded. Just record it. After you can bear to listen, ask a few people in Hanging Out to dial into a teleconference where you turn on the recording device, tell them about the book for 3 minutes, and let them ask you questions until they run out. Listen to that recording. I think it will impress you. If not, do it again a week later, after another week of recordings on your computer. When it does, add the recording to your website. Then add some PowerPoint slides and turn it into a YouTube video.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow, thanks. I'm retired. I now have a twelve-hour-a-day job. Hot dog!!!!!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Go for it!
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Just saw the Kindle version is only $.99. I am not a fiction reader, but how could I pass up such a bargain? It's on my Kindle now, awaiting a day with a lot more free time than this one. (Would you believe we had more than 100 new registrations since today's party was announced? Sure hope a lot of them stick around and start meeting each other. You know what isolation does to a person.)

Have you written Amazon reviews for any of your fellow authors in the same genre? It might get you a few in return. So might asking any friends and relatives with a different last name to post one. Doesn't cost them anything, and you can squeal with delight at them as you move up from #364,664 in the Kindle Store.

Who did your cover, Elaine? Very nice!
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the good leads, Patty.

I posted on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and a couple of other blogs. I got the brochure into a few waiting rooms. Next time I use BART (or a friend of mine rides BART) I'll get some of the brochures out there. My friend is posting it on Stumbleupon and Goodreads, but she has to get registered first (or something like that.)

Thanks for everything. I'm glad you like the cover. I hope you like the book.

That idea party was amazing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 am

Does anyone understand the workings of Twitter? I want to use it for book promotion, and I don't know how to do it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alexg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 am

I do, Elaine. I was named one of the Top 50 Tweeple to follow in 2008. I'm somewhat less active these days. It takes a good deal of time to create a presence you can use to promote anything.

It's a lot like a large cocktail party that goes on daily. No one gets to hang banners from the walls or flash messages on a big video screen. It's all about being interesting and interested and gradually getting to know people who know people.

For a brief intro to some of the mechanics and how folks with followings run events on Twitter, look at http://barbarasclub.com/twitter-help/. On Sunday afternoons, you can check out an event by using TweetChat to follow the hashtag #writechat. I believe Barbara is cooking up a Twitter event for New Year's Day, too. Watch for her next newsletter.

To measure your success with Twitter, sign up with Klout.com and run any links through bitly.com or another URL-shortener that reports stats.

That's a very high-level overview. Find me in the cocktail party as twitter.com/married, which is the URL for my username, @married. Click on Lists on that page to see one of my favorite tools that very few people use. My Doylestown list seems to get me followed by every news outlet and business in the area (even though I no longer live in the area). My Enjoy Being Married list is a way of honoring other marriage educator with good tweets. My Weddings list is what I use instead of following all the wedding vendors who follow me. The lists are also very valuable to me for focusing on just one topic at a time instead of the swirl of conversations on my Home page, which reflects all my interests and friends at once.
alexg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 pm

alexg wrote: I was named one of the Top 50 Tweeple to follow in 2008.

I wonder if that's better than Sheeple. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 pm

alexg wrote:I do, Elaine. I was named one of the Top 50 Tweeple to follow in 2008. I'm somewhat less active these days. It takes a good deal of time to create a presence you can use to promote anything.

It's a lot like a large cocktail party that goes on daily. No one gets to hang banners from the walls or flash messages on a big video screen. It's all about being interesting and interested and gradually getting to know people who know people.

For a brief intro to some of the mechanics and how folks with followings run events on Twitter, look at http://barbarasclub.com/twitter-help/. On Sunday afternoons, you can check out an event by using TweetChat to follow the hashtag #writechat. I believe Barbara is cooking up a Twitter event for New Year's Day, too. Watch for her next newsletter.

To measure your success with Twitter, sign up with Klout.com and run any links through bitly.com or another URL-shortener that reports stats.

That's a very high-level overview. Find me in the cocktail party as twitter.com/married, which is the URL for my username, @married. Click on Lists on that page to see one of my favorite tools that very few people use. My Doylestown list seems to get me followed by every news outlet and business in the area (even though I no longer live in the area). My Enjoy Being Married list is a way of honoring other marriage educator with good tweets. My Weddings list is what I use instead of following all the wedding vendors who follow me. The lists are also very valuable to me for focusing on just one topic at a time instead of the swirl of conversations on my Home page, which reflects all my interests and friends at once.

I just found your reply. Wow! Thank you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links