WISH: playing guitar again OBSTACLE: need my books back!

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

WISH: playing guitar again OBSTACLE: need my books back!

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:39 am

Hello everyone.

I'm playing guitar again after not playing for many, many years.

I had a wonderful collection of my favorite guitar booklets combined in a large 3-ring binder. I lent it to a former Success Team member in the San Francisco East Bay. I want my books back!

The obstacle is: I know her first and last name but can't remember her "name" she used here on the site. She's not in the phone book. When I googled her, her name came up but in sites that you have to "join" which I'm always skeptical of. I don't know if we had a name for our Success Team. If we did, I don't remember it. I found her email address but it's no longer valid. I don't have any contact info for other members of the group.

I don't want to put her name here because I want to protect her privacy.

I don't remember the names of any of the books so I can't google them and see if I can buy them again.

Yes, I know I could get different ones but these were the best of the best as far as easy learning goes. It took me time (and money) to put together this collection. And I really loved them. Some were given to me by a cherished friend.

Would it be acceptable to list her first name and the first names of some of the Success Team Members? Would that help at all?

How can I find this person and get my books back? Any ideas?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: WISH: playing guitar again OBSTACLE: need my books back!

Postby Tituba » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Did you correspond with this person via email? If so, maybe you kept the emails? I'm not sure how putting her name on the board would help as most everyone uses an alias. You might contact Barbara's web person (Patty) and give her the old email address. She might have a database with a name. I'll have Patty look at this post.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alexg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Please send an email to webmaster@barbarasher.com with the name, email, location, team leader, whatever you have. We'll do what we can.
alexg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vickih » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:29 am

If you look through your own posts you might be able to find a username for her - your own posts might jog your memory! Once you have that there's always the tech team here and failing that you never know what google might show up!
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Has anyone on the boards ever used any of these sites for finding people online:

beenverified.com
mylife.com
peoplefinders.com
peekyou.com
advancedbackgroundchecks.com

I'm not on Facebook. I don't know how that works or if it would help.

Any other ideas of how to just find someone on the internet -- not here on the boards?

I'm plugging along with playing chords I used to remember and picking styles that are slowly coming back. I'm trying to remember names of the books (there were many combined in a really big binder). So, ...........I'm playing guitar again. But I had such great books that were so easy to learn from. One of them I taught myself to play classical guitar and flamenco! It was so well-written that I actually got good at it just teaching myself. But when I google guitar manuals none of the names of the books I had come up (except one that I found and bought on ebay).

Thanks for any ideas.

I am going to go back to my old posts on the boards. I had a masters thesis writing thread that I might be able to re-find that might be of help.

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:29 am

My daughter taught herself some guitar fingerings just by viewing free materials online. Some stuff she can pick up by ear. But the guitar chords of some of Ani DeFranco's music (for example) is really tricky because she uses different tuning schemes. But my daughter was able to find these special "secrets" for free anyway! If you need help finding the info, I'll ask her what her favorite sites are.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Square peg,

Yes, please ask your daughter for any suggestions. I appreciate it. Everyone says "there's stuff on the internet..........." but then when I ask "where" they don't know!

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Just saw your response, so I'll ask her tonight. In the meantime, can you tell us what genre you're interested in? Or maybe give us the names of a few of the songs you used to play?

BTW, I remember that I had a huge "fake book" of jazz standards from when I played bass, but I don't think I'd want to print that out on my own!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm

I had a great book for classical and flamenco. and a great book with right hand brush strokes. those are two of the favorites I would love to have back.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

My daughter said that she does a search for the name of a song or artist plus "free guitar tabs." So for "Beatles Yesterday Free Guitar Tabs" you might find these pages:
http://www.free-tabs.com/guitar/tabs/be ... terday.htm
http://www.guitarsongs.info/BEATLES/the ... terday.htm

I did a search for "free right hand brush strokes guitar" on Yahoo.com and got the these results. But the difficulty is that there's (apparently) a "Free Stroke" technique that sort of washes out the "Free" that means "No Cost".
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Square Peg,

Thanks for asking your daughter for help with this. I really appreciate the suggestions!

I've decided that after listening to the CD's I have, that what I really want most is to play classical guitar. Unfortunately, I doubt that I will be able to track down the person I lent my guitar books to. Lesson learned. DON'T LEND THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME, TO OTHER PEOPLE! Many of the books were lent to me from a long ago friend that I miss and have tried to track down on the internet. She was my very first friend when I moved from the East Coast to California alone when I was 19 years old. I'm grateful to Sally for being that friend. She's probably married and changed her last name. I wish I could reconnect with her but don't know how. I've changed my first and last name many years ago so people wouldn't know me on the internet (that's not why I changed my name! That sort of came out wrong!)

There are 95 "views" on this thread so I assume there are people out there wishing they would get back to playing guitar as well. So, I'm going to keep reporting on this thread, how things are going.

I just ordered some things on Amazon.com -- one book with the same thing on DVD and one book by the same author (teach yourself classic guitar) and then another guitar series that looks harder and is designed for people with a teacher. But I wanted it anyway because it looks much more thorough than the teach yourself one. When I get them, I'll list the names of them and let you all know whether I like them and whether I find them helpful.

I want to play guitar again -- just for me -- for fun! There are many other dreams I have that involve doing things for other people, reaching out to many people. But guitar is just for my own enjoyment and for sharing with friends if they'd like to hear how I'm coming along. I'm really looking forward to it! I'll let you know how it's coming along!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Sounds wonderful!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Have you seen this?

http://www.riffstation.com/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links