NEED HELP WITH INTERNET IMAGES AND INFO

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

NEED HELP WITH INTERNET IMAGES AND INFO

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 18, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Guys,

I used to be a professional knitwear designer. My designs were published in books, magazines, and leaflets.

I'm planning on designing again and googled myself. Yikes! People are linking my name to my designs all over the place. I've been sending emails asking them to remove or correct. Most are cooperating.

Some of the things they're doing are illegal. For instance, on etsy.com, four different “stores” were selling my designs via download. All designs are copyrighted by the publications they were in. I'm requesting the changes as the designer, but also mentioning the copyright if they resist. One person was even offering the instructions to one of my designs for FREE!

One thing that is legal, is for people to knit the design themselves, then post a photo of their end results and say I designed it. They can change the color, etc, which I'm not happy about, but it's legal. Unfortunately, the photos are really crappy!

I want to photograph the images from the books, magazines, and leaflets because they are really great, professsional photos, and get them out there now.

The reason I googled in the first place is because I'm working on a book. I'm planning on publishing in one year. At that point I will “launch” myself on the internet with a website, Facebook, etc. I currently have no presence on the internet, which is my preference. But obviously, other people are basically creating my image as a designer, NOW, whether I like it or not.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I post images without a website or Facebook? Can I do it from an email address?

2. How can I get MY PHOTOS to show up first when someone googles me?

3. How do I un-link my name from other people's designs and YouTube videos? People are banking on my name value. When my name is googled, it directs people to these peoples' websites, then they sell their own stuff. Also, other designers are not happy that when someone googles my name, images of THEIR DESIGNS come up, which implies that I designed their designs. So, far, neither of us have figured out how to correct this.

4. Personal info. When my name is googled, sites come up saying they can give out my address, phone number, relatives, etc. for a fee. There are companies out there that say they can wipe out all this info, but they cost about $150 and I don't trust that they can do what they say. Has anyone else used these companies? Can you recommend one?

I want the internet cleaned up before I launch my book. Obviously, I have plenty of time, because I've given myself a year. But the sooner I get things cleaned up, the better. If I create an internet image of my past designs now, it will help promote the book in the future.

Thanks for any help you can give me! InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: NEED HELP WITH INTERNET IMAGES AND INFO

Postby merk » Fri May 20, 2016 1:06 am

inspiresuccess wrote:
Here are my questions:

1. How can I post images without a website or Facebook? Can I do it from an email address?

2. How can I get MY PHOTOS to show up first when someone googles me?

3. How do I un-link my name from other people's designs and YouTube videos? People are banking on my name value. When my name is googled, it directs people to these peoples' websites, then they sell their own stuff. Also, other designers are not happy that when someone googles my name, images of THEIR DESIGNS come up, which implies that I designed their designs. So, far, neither of us have figured out how to correct this.

4. Personal info. When my name is googled, sites come up saying they can give out my address, phone number, relatives, etc. for a fee. There are companies out there that say they can wipe out all this info, but they cost about $150 and I don't trust that they can do what they say. Has anyone else used these companies? Can you recommend one?

The short but brutal answer is: once it's out there, it's out there forever. You can put the genie back in the bottle.

But to give you a more detailed reply:

1.If you mean post images for people to see, then you can't post it from email unless you are going to email every person on the internet, which is not a good idea. You could get people to sign up to a news letter and then email them, but if you aren't on the internet, how would anyone find your email list? You could set up an instagram account which will let you post images. It's much simpler then setting up your own website. Or you can use pinterest or some other photo sharing site.

2. There is no easy or guaranteed way to do this. People spend thousands and thousands of dollars paying people to get their stuff to show up first. For now, don't worry about this. Once you actually have some content online, then you can start looking into getting better search results. For now since you have no content of your own, it's impossible to do this.

3. if you can prove the images belong to you, you can contact whoever posted the image and ask them to remove it. if that fails, you can file a DMCA claim directly with youtube or whatever website is hosting the images and if you can prove they are yours, they should remove them. This will only work if they are using your images. If they are just using your name, i dont think there's anything you can do short of taking them to court.

4. i havent used any of these companies, but i highly doubt their claims.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SquarePeg » Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Well, if you have an incredibly unique name, eventually your images will come up first on Google as mine do (under a different name). I didn't pay anything for this, either. I suppose I really should take advantage of this...

But getting your images online is the first step. One option is to create a free account on DeviantArt (or a similar site) where you can post photos of the finished designs. Here's a link to the category on "DA" that might best showcase your designs:
http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/ar ... /clothing/

But I think photographed pages from a book won't look too good unless they're well done and then resized down to appear as thumbnails.

I'm not a legal expert at all. But it seems to me that if "All designs are copyrighted by the publications they were in" then the publisher should be pursuing these violations of copyright. So I wonder, are you "self-published"? If not, you might not be able to put any of the images online that were already published unless you have permission to do so. You'd also be in violation of the publisher's copyright, unless you granted the publisher non-exclusive rights to publish your work.

Hmmm, sites that can give out your name, address, phone number... Info like that has always been part of the public record, at least for home owners or property owners. The Internet just makes it 1000 times easier for anyone to access. I doubt very much that it can be removed, unless you relocate to a subletted apartment and don't put in a change-of-address, eliminate your phone numbers, don't subscribe to cable TV, don't register a car, don't vote, etc.. (I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Merk and SquarePeg,

Thanks for your responses.

RE: my personal info. One of the most well-known websites (can't remember their name - something like People Search) says MY NAME in a town I haven't lived in for 15 years. Obviously, some of the info is not correct.

RE: the copyright. I contacted the company that holds the copyrights for the books and leaflets. They said it's okay for me to photograph any of the images and post them listed to my name. They asked me NOT to mention their publication in connection with the designs. Because the publications are old ones they don't care about the copyright. The magazines I sold to, I can't resell the designs, but it's okay if I photocopy the images and connect them with my name.

Square Peg -- I haven't heard of that place you suggested to post the images. I'll look into it.

As far as the photos go, that's something I'll have to learn. I thought I would need to learn photo-shop for some of them. My designs in the magazines were frequently photographed with other people's designs so I'd have to block those out. Also, sometimes I hated the color changes they made with my designs. If I learned photo-shop (is that the name of that thing?) I could change the colors to what I originally sold them as. That would be fun!

I have a lot to learn. I've decided to let go of my design images right now and focus on seeing if I can clean up my personal info. I'm in the process of removing myself in every possible way on the internet. For instance, any stores I have a profile with or have email alerts, etc. Basically, the less I'm on the internet from now on, the better. Once I retrain myself to stop searching, signing up with sites, getting email alerts, etc. I'll move on to the next steps. I may not be able to correct or erase other stuff but at least I can stop PROVIDING people with my info!

Thanks again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 am

One thing I don't understand is, I was just an up and coming designer 20 years ago and then I had to drop out of the field for personal reasons. The famous designers in the field have continued to build their reputation for 20 years. When I google them, they have no personal info that comes up, the images that are linked to their names are all their own designs, and no youtube videos demonstrating knitting techniques come up. Why is that? I'm pretty sure some of these people have even taught on-line knitting classes! Any explanation for why they don't have the same problems I have?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:One thing I don't understand is, I was just an up and coming designer 20 years ago and then I had to drop out of the field for personal reasons. The famous designers in the field have continued to build their reputation for 20 years. When I google them, they have no personal info that comes up, the images that are linked to their names are all their own designs, and no youtube videos demonstrating knitting techniques come up. Why is that? I'm pretty sure some of these people have even taught on-line knitting classes! Any explanation for why they don't have the same problems I have?

The way google and most of the search engines work is they give more weight to results that other people are linking to.

So for someone who's been doing something for 20 years, and has a lot of content online and lots of people link to them, then google is going to give their content more importance than someone who is new and no one is really talking about.

That's why if you say search for Gordon Ramsey, you'll get the guy from Hell's kitchen showing up in your search results and not some other Gordon Ramsey. Because 99% of the content on the internet linking to any Gordon Ramsey, is going to be linking to the chef from Hell's Kitchen.

It will also try and give more importance to content about a person or topic that more people link to. So again, if you search for Gordon Ramsey, you'll probably get content about the tv shows he's on or his recipes etc and not his address since most people are probably more interested in his shows and recipes than trying to find his home address.

Also, a lot of those sites that offer to give you someone's address just use existing public records - like the phone book. So lots of times if you want to remove yourself from those searches, just make sure you aren't in the phone book etc. Of course they still might show you're old previous addresses.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks, Merk.

That helps me understand more and it makes sense.

Would it be better if I posted my own photos of my designs all at once, or one at a time over a period of time?

Would it help if I or other people keep googling "MY NAME" and "images" in order to bring them up more and more after I have them out there?

The one thing I'm not sure what you mean is how do other people "link" to me?

Thanks again for your help. It really does make sense that if people want to see my designs and not my personal info, the designs will come up first when I'm googled.

One interesting thing that has happened
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Thanks, Merk.

That helps me understand more and it makes sense.

Would it be better if I posted my own photos of my designs all at once, or one at a time over a period of time?

Would it help if I or other people keep googling "MY NAME" and "images" in order to bring them up more and more after I have them out there?

The one thing I'm not sure what you mean is how do other people "link" to me?

Thanks again for your help. It really does make sense that if people want to see my designs and not my personal info, the designs will come up first when I'm googled

I think it's probably better to do a little at a time because it will take a while before you start showing up in search results so better to start early and slow i think then to start late and fast.

It probably might help a tiny bit if people keep searching for you, but i dont think it's going to make much of a difference unless you are talking about a LOT of people doing it. Keep in mind google doesn't explain all the details of how they prioritize search results. This is to prevent people from trying to cheat the system and trick google into listing their content first.

as for linking to you - i just mean they would have a link on their own page back to your website. For example, i could put www.yoursite.com in this post and that would be a link back to you (assuming your website was yoursite.com etc). The more people who link back to your content, the more google prioritizes your content.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Needs and Links