NEED COMPUTER PROTECTION

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

NEED COMPUTER PROTECTION

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi Guys,

Windows downloaded Windows 10 without my permission and it wiped out all my protection. Can anyone suggest a good, free Firewall ? Also, I had something on my computer that scanned the computer daily to protect from............ whatever. That's gone as well. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of that program. Any suggestions about some free program to protect the computer from malware, etc?

I tried googling Firewall but so many options came up, I didn't know what to choose. I didn't google the scan programs because I don't even know what those are called.

My computer is unprotected! HELP!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

protection

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi IS,

The simplest way forward might be to return to the version of Windows you had before it was replaced from a back-up or the installation disks.

MSFT really crossed a line installing a program without your explicit permission. I would direct a complaint to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) and your state's attorney general and any consumer watchdog reporters on your local TV channels. Search for 'class action' with 'microsoft' and see what turns up.

Added note: I use Macs, so am not expert on how to reload the previous Windows version. There are doubtless videos to review on YouTube.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: NEED COMPUTER PROTECTION

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Avira free for virus/firewall

Malwarebytes free for spyware.

As they are free, neither run on their own.

Don't return to Windows 7 with your restore disks as it will wipe out all your files. Windows 10 came with a built in firewall.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: protection

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Lynx wrote:
MSFT really crossed a line installing a program without your explicit permission. I would direct a complaint to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) and your state's attorney general and any consumer watchdog reporters on your local TV channels. Search for 'class action' with 'microsoft' and see what turns up.

Hi Lynx. Thanks for who to contact. I definitely want to follow through on this. They sent me offer after offer after offer to switch to version10. I ignored the offers because I wanted to keep version 7.

My first thought was to try to go back to Version 7 but I was afraid it would mess things up even more.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Tituba wrote:Avira free for virus/firewall

Malwarebytes free for spyware.

As they are free, neither run on their own.

Don't return to Windows 7 with your restore disks as it will wipe out all your files. Windows 10 came with a built in firewall.

Hi Tituba,

I didn't know there was a firewall on version 10. I don't know anything about version 10 except that they have big boxes of things I don't want or need. I can't find "my computer" anywhere. No idea if that's lost of I just can't find it.

What do you mean when you say that Malwarebytes and Avira are free but ... "they don't run on their own"? What makes them run? God, I'm ignorant about the Internet!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:21 pm

At least I'm not a total dufuss. I figured out how to get rid of those giant boxes - right click on them, then click "Unpin" the damn things!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:15 pm

You can watch this for some of the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGw9k-ImkG4

What I mean about "it won't run on its own" is that the free version of Avira and Malwarebytes will not scan your computer automatically. You'll have to remember to run it. You can purchase Avira and Malwarebytes and then they scan on their own.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Check with your Internet service provider. Mine offers free anit-virus software as part of the subscription to their service.,
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Jason,

So if my "internet provider" is ATT then I could contact them?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Needs and Links