Palmetto Bugs... weird request

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Palmetto Bugs... weird request

Postby Pambo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:04 am

Hello from Alabama... I've gotta kind of weird request, and thought I'd just send it out to see if anyone can help. I bought my house about 1-1/2 years ago, and it came complete with Palmetto Bugs (for those who don't live in the South - I think these are Southern creatures - Palmetto Bugs look like cockroaches, but they're several inches long!). The seller was supposed to have the house sprayed, blah blah blah, but that never happened (he didn't clean out the fridge that had been sitting full of food but without electricity for 13 months either, but that's a different story!). So... the bug population has been small enough that it hasn't bothered me too much.. I'd see one maybe once a month or so, kill it it I could, but otherwise decided to live and let crawl. BUT.. in the last month, the population has increased dramatically... hot weather? lots of rain? something has set the reproductive wheels in a higher gear, and I see at least one a day. I can't handle this.. one actually popped out of my toaster with the toast last week.. I did the icky-dance for about 10 minutes (remember Ace Ventura when he found out the sacred animal that he had to capture was a bat? That's the icky-dance.) I never leave food around, and always have everything tighly sealed in the pantry, but I live in the middle of 13 acres of apparently prime Palmetto Bug territory. My question is: how to I get rid of them without using poison/pest control services. I don't like the idea of poison being spread around my home... I have small dogs, lots of cats, and assorted sundry other animsls. Even if they sprayed around the outside, I have chickens, and usually baby chicks. Does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know if there are 'safe' poisons that will kill the bugs and let everything else keep breathing? Any advice would be appreciated. Pamela
Pambo
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby jazzdiva » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:28 pm

I have always thought that the sonic repellants were kind of clever, but I dont know if they would take care of your supersize bugs down there. I just did a google search and found this. http://www.technology-sourcing.com/ultrasonicpestcontrol.html best of luck!
jazzdiva
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jerseygirl » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:38 pm

As a former Florida-girl, my experience with palmetto bugs is that they are worse when you have foliage near the house. Unlike roaches, I don't think the palmetto bugs show up as a result of a dirty house. They are plant dwellers for the most part. They also are at home living in cardboard, brown paper grocery sacks and old newspapers. If you have any of these things inside of your house, I would store them outside and well away from the house. Just another tip - I had a cat who was great for getting rid of the palmetto bugs. She was my hero - ran right after them and mashed 'em while I was standing on a chair screaching. A cat or two might not be compatible with your chickens, but if you kept the cat(s) indoors - well, that's one way to control the pest problem naturally. [This message has been edited by jerseygirl (edited July 29, 2003).] [This message has been edited by jerseygirl (edited July 29, 2003).]
jerseygirl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby katchal » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:05 pm

EEEWWWW! They're scary little monsters! If the infestation is really bad, you're probably going to need an exterminator and some sort of chemical treatment. A good exterminator can advise you on treatments that will be safe for your pets. When we lived in Atlanta, we had problems with Palmetto bugs entering through our roof from overhanging trees. Our exterminator would spray and the bugs would be back after a week or so. After a few months of this ineffective spraying, he treated the attic with a layer of boric acid (I think). That worked like a charm and since it was in the attic, we didn't have to worry about our cats getting into it.
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby soni » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:48 pm

Diatomaceous earth (get it in the plant care section of Wally World most places will kill most insects. It is not poisonous, but rather composed of the calcified/fossilized remains of diatoms (microscopic sea creatures). They're glass like shells sill scarify the shells of most insects, which causes them to die of dehydration. Safe for animals and people (you can get a food-grade version at feed stores that people mix with grains and animal feeds to keep the bugs out). Just put them out of the house while you're dusting the place down, in case the dust might irritate throats and eyes. You put it around wherever they live, and leave it. Great for fleas and stuff, and garden bugs, too. One caveat - don't get the kind that is used for pool filtration units - it has other chemicals in it as well.
soni
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Erratica » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:15 pm

My husband (the Brit) thinks the name palmetto is just a polite way of talking about roaches (which he'd never seen before coming to Texas). Poor guy, he'd not seen or felt mosquitoes either. They think he's quite yummy. We have "tree roaches," we call them that to distinguish between the icky house ones. Ha. They're huge and ugly and they will bite if you try to mash them with your hand. Yuck. Not sure if ours are as big as yours, but we often say they knock on the door and then walk in when you open to see who it is! Boric acid in the attic works great, and so does diatomaceous earth, so I hear. My pest control company uses boric acid and other stuff that interrupts the reproductive cycle. He put it (the repro stuff) on the hinges of the cabinets! I agree, one a month is livable, one a day and on toast, is not. Image Erica [This message has been edited by Erratica (edited July 29, 2003).]
Erratica
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby topatate16 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:43 pm

Well, at least you don't have the ones that fly!
topatate16
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Pambo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:23 am

Thank you all... the 'foliage around the house' comment gave me an AHA moment.. I'm going to school for landscape design, and ripped out all my foundation plantings earlier this year (there wasn't really much to rip out, as everything was pretty scraggy).. and planted LOTS of new flowers and bushes.. maybe I just set up a bunch of palmetto bug houses? Thanks for all the advice... appreciate it! Pamela
Pambo
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Mmatch » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:47 pm

Boric acid powder: it is cheap (small house for less than $5), simple (sprinkle or "squirt" anywhere out of sight but like transit zones for roaches, safe (same chemical used in hospital grade eye-wash), long lasting (months to years) and effective (unlike any other product Ive encounted after 50 years living in South Florida). Wish we had known of it while growing up ... Robert
Mmatch
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby cc » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:46 pm

Googled "palmetto bugs" and found this link for insecticide made from orange peel extract: http://www.safeinsecticide.com/organicroach-killer.html
cc
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LittleTigger » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:10 pm

I live in SC, the official home of Palmetto bugs. I have one of those sonic repellant devices, and its worked wonderfully for several years. I see less than a handful a year. Good luck! They are truly one of the worst things about living in the south. ------------------ LittleTigger
LittleTigger
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Palmetto Bugs... weird request

Postby LarryCome » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 am

I found of unknown bugs in the flowers. It shocked me! That's cuz I'm afraid of insects. In addition, these beetles have destroyed my favorite hyacinth. So I used the service of pest control https://youdo.com/india/pune-services/pest-control-services/. And I hope this will not happen again.
LarryCome
New User
New User

Return to Needs and Links