Talent Bank Task Force

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Talent Bank Task Force

Postby DreamThief » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Hi Team! I'll use this first post to keep a list of the people who have e-mailed Barbara that they want to take an active part in creating the Talent Bank Database. Comments from other posters are welcome and invited, but only those on this list will be assigned tasks. If you would like to become an official member of the team just send Barbara an e-mail asking to have your name added to the Talent Bank project. She'll forward the message to me and I'll add you to this list. (List updated 8/21/2005) The Big Cheese - Barbara DreamThief - Tricia Fastalaskan - Tonia helper_ham - Jennifer luvadventure - Linda MollyL - Molly docsue - Susan Creative Sage - Cathryn Findthejoyagain - Rudine JustTriIt - Pamela The first thing I'd like is for the people listed to make a brief post here to say you found this thread. Once everyone is on board we'll get to work! :D Tricia/DreamThief
Last edited by DreamThief on Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Present and accounted for.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby luvadventure » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:21 pm

Gotcha! Linda
luvadventure
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MollyL » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:07 pm

I'm on board! Molly
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Meade
MollyL
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby docsue » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:17 am

I'm here too, although my official email hasn't been forwarded yet. Susan
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Talent Bank

Postby helper_ham » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:49 am

Hi all, On board also. A quick word about building a database - it's sort of like building a house. As much time as possible should be spent designing the "blueprint", but once construction has started, it is costly and time-consuming to make changes. So let's gather all the creative ideas we can up front. Thanks, Jennifer
helper_ham
New Poster
New Poster

All on board

Postby DreamThief » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:53 am

OK, now that everyone is here we need a strategy. I tend to have the best success approaching a problem from either end, not so well jumping into the middle and working both directions at once. I like Jennifer's project stages:
Stage One: Create a database of basic skill-sets and individual providers. This would be the fastest and easiest to build. (Providers, skills, project-types, etc. Searchable by region, provider name, skill-set, etc. Later on add availability.) Stage Two: Expand the indiv. skill set / provider database to have 'groups'. Defining the group skills and people in the groups would take a little longer, but shouldn't be a problem with this group! (Group skill types, group members, project types, regions, etc.) Add customer / client database at this stage. Stage Three: Create a training database for skill workshops, building on the above. (Providers, students, locations, courses, registration, location, materials, etc. etc.) Determine if this will be internal cross-training only, and/or open to the public. (Open to the public could help pay for the system.) Stage Four: On-line search-able marketplace. (Customers / clients pay a fee to search for talent / post a job. Members can update their own records as skill-sets change / grow. Links to individual web-sites.)
It looks like starting from the beginning would be thinking of what fields of information we want to include in the foundation database, and starting from the end would be figuring out how the final database will be used and money collected. Either way we need to have a good idea of how the whole project will pan out before we start work on the stage one database. Any preferences on what approach we use? Any other ideas on how to approach it? One of the initial tasks we'll need to have covered is monitoring the other 3 threads where this discussion started: Overcoming age discrimination/layoff http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... highlight= and the sister threads Market Research for Talent Bank http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... highlight= and #2: Where would you be now? http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... highlight= Whoever checks these should summarize what they find and post it here, starting with a summary of what is already there. Any volunteers or shall I work on this one? docsue: I'm trying to get you set up and I'm up to the auto-response from your e-mail system. (Maybe that's where Barbara is too.) You'll be in soon. Tricia
:D I'll treat your dream like my own until it's fulfilled.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Database Design

Postby helper_ham » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:07 am

DreamThief/All: It's been my experience that the best database designs start at the top - goals, mission, purpose, whatever. While it's tempting to want to jump in at the field level, that tends to give you only a partial database design that is continually in flux. Let's start by deciding what the purpose is and who will use it - and how. Once the 'big picture' (intent) is clear, we can begin to break it down further into the needed components and details. Thanks, Jennifer
helper_ham
New Poster
New Poster

Welcome doscue

Postby DreamThief » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard docsue! Did you receive my message in your regular e-mail? The message I received from you was in the bulletin board message system, and I don't think I can send one message to a group that way. It's not so important right now, but if we need a way to pass files around I don't think we can do that in the boards. Tricia/DreamThief
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

I'm here!

Postby docsue » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Thanks, Tricia. I'm here! I'm now trying to figure out why the email you sent me went to an address other than the one in my profile. I agree that starting at the top would be vision and mission first, fields second. Is this something to post here, or are we using some other means? I'd also be glad to summarize one of the other threads. If three people each take one, that would spread out the task. If TWO people did the same thread, we could probably pick up on differences in interpretation and cut down on the possibility of overlooking something. I can do the age discrimination one, if that works.
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Saturday evening post

Postby DreamThief » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi all, docsue - the Overcoming age discrimination/layoff thread is yours, congrats on being the first team member to take an assignment! We don't currently have enough team members to double up on the board reviews, but we could rotate once the initial reviews are done or perhaps one a week. We'll see how it goes. helper_ham - I promise we'll have a complete picture of how all stages of the project should function before we begin programming. My question was more about how we get to that complete picture. We can start our brainstorming from the perspective of currently having no database, what if we had a database with these few fields in it? What would it accomplish for people? What would be missing? And then (still brainstorming, not programming) add functions or data fields until we agree it accomplishes what we want. (And \"what we want\" would develop during our discussions.) The other option is to dream of how people will interact with our completed program. (This means figuring out all of what we want up front.) Imagine people doing their dreams because they came to Barbara's site and searched this incredible Talent database and found exactly what they needed at a price they could afford. This system then makes use of \"Murphy's Corollary\" : Whenever you want to do something, you must do something else first. Once we envision the end product, then we start thinking of the thing we have to do in order to finish it, and the thing before that, and the thing before that, etc.. until we arrive at the one or two things that we can do without doing anything else. Once we arrive at that point, we have our blueprint. Both systems work, but not at the same time. Personal note: I tend to be online when my 18 month old son is asleep, which is sometime around noon for his nap and sometime after 8pm in the evening EST. Tricia/DreamThief :)
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi Everyone, I kept notes on the idea party so I can grab what was said and post it here in a brief summary form.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Idea Party notes

Postby DreamThief » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:41 am

Fantastic Fastalaskan! I look forward to it because I wasn't on that call. By the way, has anyone noticed that when you change your sig line in your profile, it changes on every single message you've ever posted? Tricia
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby docsue » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:33 pm

Great! I'll have the summary no later than Tuesday. Hopefully, Monday morning.
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Talent Bank - Function and Purpose Questions

Postby helper_ham » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:36 am

Hi all, While you are compiling information from the various sources, I thought it might be helpful to have some questions to help define the scope of the project. If each of us answered these, the combined answers would give us a pretty good definition. Jennifer =============================================== Talent Bank - Function and Purpose Questions: 1.) What need does this system meet? Where is the boundary? Who are the players? 2.) What is the approach? 3.) What are the benefits to people? 4.) What budget and logistics are required? 5.) What constraints will the system have ? (Functional, Performance, Interface, Operational, Resource, Verification, Acceptance, Documentation, Security, Portability, Quality, Reliability, Maintainability, etc. etc.) 6.) What are some future needs / questions that the system might address?
helper_ham
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Informal Success Teams